The State Of Today's Gun Market

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

The State Of Today's Gun Market

Post by Sixgun »

Well, while I'm far from having a degree in economics or marketing, the Good Lord did pass on some common sense to me. I've been in this gun game for over 40 years and have followed it very closely, especially the collectors market.

For many years, say...from the early eighties to around Y2K, prices on reloading components stayed relatively stable. New gun prices rose about even with the inflation rate. Good quality Winchesters, Colts, 'Smiths, etc. rose above the inflation rate, sometimes as much as 8-10% a year. In the early nineties, as I approached 40 years old, myself, my hard core buddies, gunshops owners, all talked a lot on the future of our "game", sensing decreased interest among most people under my age.

After Bush Sr. invaded Kuwait, then escalating with B.C., I noticed the gun business rising and with Bush Jr.'s fiasco, things really took off. Pretty much common sense.....boys returning home wanting to play with what they used, crime exploding in the cities, raghead terrorism, threats to our gun rights....blah...blah...blah. Reloading component prices tripled and that gun that we all used to laugh at because of its inaccuracy, the Colt SP-1 AR-15 suddenly became "the one to have".

So, we now get to the punchline of my post. Trump won, H lost miserably.....yippie!

Yesterday, I go to the Oaks, Pa. gunshow...three huge rooms filled with every conceivable gun imaginable. Has to be close to 2000 tables. About half of those tables are black guns, with the other half consisting of collectibles, regular guns, junk guns and yea, some with deer jerky, jewelry, eye glass cleaner, etc.

There were more antique Winchesters, Marlins, Colts, Springfields, etc..etc...etc....than I have ever seen in a normal gunshow...I mean...nice stuff. Dealers were digging very deep in their vaults exposing lots of very hard to get guns....all at prices I have not seen in 20 years...except for high end stuff....those prices are still high. There were dealers with tables full of loaded 223, 308, 06, brass, powder, primers...on and on....excellent prices, all at a time when you would expect to see high prices, right before Christmas.

While I'm sure there was, I did not see anybody buying anything.....people were just "louie looking".

There is going to be a crash like we have never seen it before.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The State Of Today's Gun Market

Post by fordwannabe »

I believe you are 100percent correct in the glut, both arms and ammo. I will be stocking up. I usually do really well after Christmas bills arrive for people anyway. Hope this year is especially good.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

You got it Jack.

I called it as soon as Trump won. Told my buddies that the bottom will fall out. They will try to keep prices somewhat up through Christmas, but after the first of the year it's going to be prime buying time. The most drop will be in black guns and handguns.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Let's wait until after Monday and the Electoral College vote to make sure about the next president.
And as to gun prices, I almost always lose on every gun I buy and sell. That's because I am not a gun trader nor a gun collector, but a certifiable gun NUT.

:lol:
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

And I'm waiting for that crash.

Because a Crash will mean that neither an "oiled flower bed" or "old guy army" is necessary.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I have predicted, taken advantage of and profited during the last several scares. To the point my wife said she would never question a gun or ammo purchase I make, not that she really did anyway other than a RSRH .480 she didn't understand lol. In the last 2 years I've watched the buying slow and prices return to pre-Obama and a proliferation of products on the market. When Hillary got nominated I ordered 3 lowers, before I even got them vendors were drying up. As I was picking them up at the FFL I had friends and family texting me asking where to find lowers. Once Trump won I put buying in neutral. Interestingly a fully assembled AR was still going for record low prices. Next year should be great. Unless your looking for a JM stamped rifle.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I just like to keep enough components stocked up to insure that I will be able to keep shooting my normal amount. I am not a dealer either and don't realy care about fluctuations in price or value. I pretty much already have what I want and rarly sell or trade away the guns I now have.
I am enjoying seeing the shelves well stocked at the local Sportsman's Warehouse.

Merry Christmas to all.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

3 geezers off to the Yuma gunshow this morning. Several tables of nice old Winchesters. No .22's at ALL. Table after table of EBR's of every description, starting at about 550 or so, it was my impression the gunshow prices on these are about 50-60% of what they were 3 years ago. Table after table of junk, EBR accessories, survivor stuff, moldy old military stuff, magazines, books, etc. No beef jerky, no eyeglass cleaners. Lots of ammo of all sorts including .22 but most of the dealers hadn't gotten the word that the bubble has burst, still saw some automatch at 35-55 bucks a box. Paid 5 bucks to get in, that's all. Went to the little bakery nearby after we left, nice coffee and a fat pill, best part of the morning. :roll:
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I AM ALWAYS LOOKING FOR JM MARKED RIFLES.
I have a great fondness for 2/3 magazine Marlins. I have to buy and sell several"normal" guns to be able to afford some of the 2/3 ones.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Yea...I can really sense a different atmosphere, unlike any I've had. Since I was in my early twenties I have always listened to old collectors and what they have experienced and the one thing they all have said in common is that nice quality guns that are no longer in print have always risen in price since the 1930's. Some years more than others but never a loss.

We all know what the black guns were bringing a while back. The one gun I was burnt on was a Colt 6940 L.E that I paid 16 to my buddy who owns Targetmaster which he claimed was his cost....he was selling them for 22 and had a waiting list. That can be found now for 14 and in a couple of months probably 10. 6920's were bringing 18 and today, after a little looking can be found for 7-8. Bushmasters?....what 6? So here's the point, the way I see it is if black guns come down anymore, there's going to be a loss to the gunshop owners/manufacturers and they have bills to pay and black guns are the majority of business today......take those away and what's left.....Glocks...a few wheelguns?

The other day I was down at Targetmaster, where it's almost always packed, even on a Tuesday.....and besides me, there was one other customer. Come January when the Christmas bills come in, I don't think there's going to much left over for the gunshops. Gonna be interesting, especially for the owners who stocked up BIG time in anticipation for an H win.----6

FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

It's a wait and see.

Gun-owners/buyers/collector don't have a clue what the political environment will be after the inauguration, and that is the single driving factor in the current market.

It's all about whether Big Nanny might say "No".

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Can't buy black guns anymore in CA. That portion of the market is gone however that affects other areas.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Thanks for the tip 6, I need to get out more I had no idea, will be hanging on to my money
and wait & see what happens, I am pretty well over stocked on every thing but not against making
my money stretch a bit further on a good deal

Brad
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Place down south of DFW advertises on the radio... ARs for $339, "...they'll beat anyone's price... on any gun... and if they can't, they'll GIVE you the gun!" Last time I drove by there for a match... they had a line a ½ block long waiting to get in... Yep, the gun market's a little depressed! I need to stock up on primers... had to break into my last 5000! Well... at least of the LP type!!! Maybe those prices'll come down too!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

You made me look Griff. Didn't realize there was a primer shortage. Last time I was at sportsmans they seemed well stocked although I didn't look closely. I've been flush on primers for a long time, and unless I buy a Dillon auto I doubt I'll ever run out.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

Personally I don't believe the used-gun market is depressed at all - I think it is in fact saturated. Meaning everyone who wants one, has got two.

I have no sympathy whatsoever for speculators weeping about not being able to sell the AR15 guns and AKs that in years past stacked up in safe and closets. People buying guns for which they had only resale/profit intention. Everybody read that book!

The collectors and accumulators are still here. 250+ in the safe plus a truckload of hobbyist stuff, and I don't worry about it. I have a living trust nailed down to turn tit all into cash if I don't live to see it done, and I can enjoy any article in the meantime.

Whether gemstones, Mopars, firearms or shoes, even real estate, we never spent our cash on speculation items, just aimed for consistent good value in what we paid and do own.

That said, anyone interested in a dozen or so AR lowers? Think they'll make good ornaments on the tree this year...
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

mohavesam wrote:Personally I don't believe the used-gun market is depressed at all - I think it is in fact saturated. Meaning everyone who wants one, has got two.
I think that's about the same thing. Everybody has been buying, buying, buying and everyone has more than what they "need" so no one will be buying for a while. There will be a lot of wait-and-see while prices drop.

I will be looking for a deal on a .300 Blackout upper or complete rifle. I'm hoping suppressors will come down in price.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

mohavesam wrote:That said, anyone interested in a dozen or so AR lowers? Think they'll make good ornaments on the tree this year.

I like that! One thing for sure, in reality, they still will be good investments down the road, but most likely "a long trip down the road".

vancelw wrote: I will be looking for a deal on a .300 Blackout upper or complete rifle. I'm hoping suppressors will come down in price.
Me too. I still can't believe that after living a life with dash numbered calibers, I've been attracted to this AR thingy. Got 6 now and I was looking into an upper for the 300 at the show. Saw lots but I don't know enough to make a secure purchase yet as I want a no hassle using the 220 grain cast bullet.

Vance, there is this guy who is at all of the better shows who makes uppers. This is no fly by night dirt bag with a chisel and a hammer.....very professional and I talked to him at length on Friday and I'm most likely going to buy from him. He has 4 people ....that I saw....working for him and he has about 12 tables at the shows displaying every conceivable type of upper....fancy fluting, any length..blah..blah..blah....I'm most likely going for a 7 and 1/2" with a 1/8 twist, flat top...ALL the way out, free float with a standard bird cage. I'm just not sure of the gas port diameter yet. With shorties, sometimes you need a suppressor to make them work reliable....like I said, I don't know enough yet.
Check him out..... http://www.tonyscustomsllc.com -----6

tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Demand for the lever guns and single actions peeked when the baby boomers reached their mid 30's and 40's and had disposable income. Those same baby boomers are now reaching their golden years ,quit hunting and not getting out to the range as often. Moneys tight. $300 light weight and accurate bolt guns are replacing the handiness of the lever. The glock is more desirable that the Colt single action revolvers to the younger shooter. The market for the Colts and Winchesters is shrinking with age. The AR platform and the 1000 yard sniper rifle has replaced it. I see some huge bargain basement pricing on the Colts and levers coming down the road.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

This happened exactly the same way with baseball cards. As the old collectors die off, the kids will sale the guns off cheap. A pristine and rare colt's value will continue to increase, but the run of the mill ones will sink like a rock.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Six, we must be brain connected somehow(is that a good thing??). I bought two uppers from Tony's, one at a show, one ordered then delivered to Oaks. I am VERY happy with his stuff.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

tman wrote:Demand for the lever guns and single actions peeked when the baby boomers reached their mid 30's and 40's and had disposable income. Those same baby boomers are now reaching their golden years ,quit hunting and not getting out to the range as often. Moneys tight. $300 light weight and accurate bolt guns are replacing the handiness of the lever. The glock is more desirable that the Colt single action revolvers to the younger shooter. The market for the Colts and Winchesters is shrinking with age. The AR platform and the 1000 yard sniper rifle has replaced it. I see some huge bargain basement pricing on the Colts and levers coming down the road.

T Man......well said....those near exact words, with the exception of the word, "Glock" and AR, were written after WW 1 when returning doughboys had experience with the bolt gun and the '06 cartridge.

Leverguns and single actions lost their title as the premier guns to have AFTER the knowledge of the boltgun shooting flatter cartridges became known. In spite of this, leverguns still remained popular because of their handiness, quickness, and the ability to shoot smaller cartridges at the shorter ranges with less noise and destruction.

Not sure how old you are but I remember these things and have conversed with the old heads back when I was a punk kid. Leverguns and single actions exploded in the late eighties with the "invention" of cowboy action. Up until that point, guys like me, really had to play hell to get brass and moulds to get old guns running. Back in the seventies, if you had 20 empties for the 45-90 or 40-82, you were looked upon with awe.

So what I'm saying is there's has always been a demand for "our" kinds of guns, just not as much as there has been like it's been for the last 20 years or so. And it will not drop a lot simply because of the ergonomics and practicality of the leverguns.

As for pricing of the collectibles, that's not going to change. It may level off and not gain the way it has but the demand for these will still be with us as there were only so many of the pre war guns made and
the one commodity that Americans like is Investing and money and not much beats an investment with "Americana", whether its antique furniture, cars, paintings, and of course, Colt SAA's and Winchesters! :D. .......---***6***---......

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

fordwannabe wrote:Six, we must be brain connected somehow(is that a good thing??). I bought two uppers from Tony's, one at a show, one ordered then delivered to Oaks. I am VERY happy with his stuff.

Yes Tom, we are.....now...close your eyes and repeat this 50 times...."Today I will ship all of my guns to 6........all of them, along with any cash I have". Put this on a tape recorder with headphones while you sleep...over and over.......

It's easier this way, so tomorrow when you get up, you will have no thinking to do...just do what you practiced all night...without thought. To make it easier, put the guns in one of your collectible Mustangs and drive it to me. As a nice guy, I'll give you a lift to the turnpike and you can hitchhike from there to get home. :D

Hey! By the way, did you ever make it to the show today?---6

tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Sixgun wrote:
tman wrote:Demand for the lever guns and single actions peeked when the baby boomers reached their mid 30's and 40's and had disposable income. Those same baby boomers are now reaching their golden years ,quit hunting and not getting out to the range as often. Moneys tight. $300 light weight and accurate bolt guns are replacing the handiness of the lever. The glock is more desirable that the Colt single action revolvers to the younger shooter. The market for the Colts and Winchesters is shrinking with age. The AR platform and the 1000 yard sniper rifle has replaced it. I see some huge bargain basement pricing on the Colts and levers coming down the road.

T Man......well said....those near exact words, with the exception of the word, "Glock" and AR, were written after WW 1 when returning doughboys had experience with the bolt gun and the '06 cartridge.

Leverguns and single actions lost their title as the premier guns to have AFTER the knowledge of the boltgun shooting flatter cartridges became known. In spite of this, leverguns still remained popular because of their handiness, quickness, and the ability to shoot smaller cartridges at the shorter ranges with less noise and destruction.

Not sure how old you are but I remember these things and have conversed with the old heads back when I was a punk kid. Leverguns and single actions exploded in the late eighties with the "invention" of cowboy action. Up until that point, guys like me, really had to play hell to get brass and moulds to get old guns running. Back in the seventies, if you had 20 empties for the 45-90 or 40-82, you were looked upon with awe.

So what I'm saying is there's has always been a demand for "our" kinds of guns, just not as much as there has been like it's been for the last 20 years or so. And it will not drop a lot simply because of the ergonomics and practicality of the leverguns.

As for pricing of the collectibles, that's not going to change. It may level off and not gain the way it has but the demand for these will still be with us as there were only so many of the pre war guns made and
the one commodity that Americans like is Investing and money and not much beats an investment with "Americana", whether its antique furniture, cars, paintings, and of course, Colt SAA's and Winchesters! :D. .......---***6***---......
Hope you are right. Just speaking from personal experience. It seems the younger guys under 40 are not at all, or even familiar with the Colts and Winchesters. Kinda sad. Old enough to remember when the flint lock rifle was revisited and in high demand. Today, it's IN-LINE or nothing.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Barring unforeseen circumstances all that hoarded stuff is going to come out on the markey.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Tman,
I really don't like the way you gave me a reality check. :D I too, worry about the under 40 crowd. What really worries me about them is I don't think the group as a whole does not have the internal fortitude to fight off attacks from the left. Nothing personal to the young guys here on the board as like I said, "the group as a whole".

As long as the economy stays "well", there will always be enough people who like old stuff. If not, I'll throw my stuff in the river before I give it away.

And OS, what is the "markey?" :D

Yea, for real on that......I've witnessed people with handtrucks wheeling out boxed Colt AR's...8-10 high along with cases and cases of .223 green tip.

One day about 3 years ago I was bs en with this guy in the gunshop and he walked out with a dozen AR's along with a 1/4 pallet of green tip ammo. After he left, the counter guy said to me, "don't you know who that was?" I said, "nope". He said that "was C.H., the pitcher for the Phillies."---6

65bee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 65bee »

You can also see this trend in the antique/classic car market. The Ford Model A's are a prime example. The guys that grew up in the 30s and 40s, drove the mania for collecting and restoring these cars in the period from the 1950s-80s. I have followed this market pretty close for the last 40 years and it is amazing how the market for these cars has disappeared and prices dropped. I see the kids inheriting beautiful Model As that their father/grandfather lovingly restored. They have zero interest in this era automobile and can't wait to sell them off. Same thing with the classic lever guns. A good friend who is a dealer told me a while back he can't seem to sell a lever gun or a double shotgun to anybody under 60 years of age.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

65bee wrote:You can also see this trend in the antique/classic car market. The Ford Model A's are a prime example. The guys that grew up in the 30s and 40s, drove the mania for collecting and restoring these cars in the period from the 1950s-80s. I have followed this market pretty close for the last 40 years and it is amazing how the market for these cars has disappeared and prices dropped. I see the kids inheriting beautiful Model As that their father/grandfather lovingly restored. They have zero interest in this era automobile and can't wait to sell them off. Same thing with the classic lever guns. A good friend who is a dealer told me a while back he can't seem to sell a lever gun or a double shotgun to anybody under 60 years of age.
I hear ya Bee. Look at the muscle car market. Lots of that really slowed down too, bringing about 75% of what it did 10 years ago...unless of course you have a GT 500 or a Yenko Camaro. I remember as a kid in the sixties that the old car "to have" was a 40 Ford.

You figure, there is a finite number of Model A's and other old cars and common sense tells us with every thousand people being born, at least 1 on them wants to get in the old car market but for some strange reason, no one gives a pelosi anymore. So...What the heck are these kids today going to buy to remind them of their youth........a new in box X game? Maybe a signed picture of Kanye West? :D

That model 65 of yours reminds me of a like new one I have but it's in 32-20.....beginning to make me think that it might be a lamppost one day like they did with all of the old 50-70 trapdoors. ----6

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Since you have the cooler stuff I thought you were sending stuff my way. Drat foiled again. I did not make it to the show. I was going around 25 mph in a 55 zone because there was a national non driving *** convention going on all around me. Why is it that most Pennsylvanians forget how to drive in snow every year. It has snowed at least some every year I have lived in Pa and they act like its the first time they have ever seen it. It just wasnt worth the effort this time.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I held off on the b..a..s..t..a..r..d black guns until about two months before the election . Bought s complete Stag 6.8 , a complete DPMS AR-10 308 , a complete 450 Bushmaster , a complete Alexander Arms Grendel upper and a complete Rock River lower for the Grendel . I bought all this junk at dealer cost . And just recently I put together an AR-10 upper in 260 REM . I bought this stuff for two reasons before the election . The first was to be able to make a profit if the EBFH won and the other was to play with them . Well the EBFH didn't win so the profit thing went out the window but I can still sell if I want and get my money back based on my initial cost . I've even killed deer this season with the d..a..m..n things . And I'll carry the 260 in the morning . By no means do I plan on giving up on nice old shotguns or rifles . But I gotta admit loading for them and trying to shoot tiny groups from the bench with them are kinda fun . And for the curiouse EBFH is short for EVIL B..I..T..C..H FROM H..E..L..L !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

65bee wrote:You can also see this trend in the antique/classic car market. The Ford Model A's are a prime example. The guys that grew up in the 30s and 40s, drove the mania for collecting and restoring these cars in the period from the 1950s-80s. I have followed this market pretty close for the last 40 years and it is amazing how the market for these cars has disappeared and prices dropped. I see the kids inheriting beautiful Model As that their father/grandfather lovingly restored. They have zero interest in this era automobile and can't wait to sell them off. Same thing with the classic lever guns. A good friend who is a dealer told me a while back he can't seem to sell a lever gun or a double shotgun to anybody under 60 years of age.
Having never been much of a Ford person other then the 55-57 T-Birds I can't make any comment on the old Fjords . I have for years been intrested in Packards , 67-69 Camaros and Jeep CJ-2A's . And those seem to be holding their own . I'm also intrested in old Hart Parr steel wheel tractors and Frick steam traction engines and I gotta say the market for them never seemed better . Steam engines with good sound boilers are bringing a small fortune . As to the under sixty thing I suppose you're pretty much correct . I'm 55 and I buy doubles , but then again I grew up with doubles .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

15 years from now (or less) it may be difficult to sell a lever gun at a good price on the used market. The young guys all want black rifles and the older guys will be dying off.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

A model A truck is in the bucket list for this kid.
11B30
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I know almost nothing about black guns, but have seen lately that there seems to be an abundance and pricing is very cheap! I see a lot of them at non-collector gun shows for under $800 NIB, and a lot of different brands.
As for collectable guns, I've heard from several people who sell them for a living, and tell me the prices are off now, and guns are down about 20%. I personally buy and sell locally in my area, and don't see that. But I also travel to shows in Reno and Denver's big show, to purchase. I have noticed at the big shows that there are some bargains in collectable arms, and dealers seem ready to quickly accept 10-15% less than asking prices; even when their price is pretty good to start! I purchased 5 antique rifles at Denver in May, and all were much cheaper than I ever thought I'd see those guns again. Especially considering the condition, and rarity of the models. The average antique gun, that's not especially collectable, seem to be holding the same values they have for years. It's the high dollar antique guns that seem to be off their usual pricing.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

t.r. wrote:15 years from now (or less) it may be difficult to sell a lever gun at a good price on the used market. The young guys all want black rifles and the older guys will be dying off.

TR
Not the smart ones... There are significant tactical advantages to "ancient weapons and hokey religions"...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

marlinman93 wrote:I know almost nothing about black guns, but have seen lately that there seems to be an abundance and pricing is very cheap! I see a lot of them at non-collector gun shows for under $800 NIB, and a lot of different brands.
As for collectable guns, I've heard from several people who sell them for a living, and tell me the prices are off now, and guns are down about 20%. I personally buy and sell locally in my area, and don't see that. But I also travel to shows in Reno and Denver's big show, to purchase. I have noticed at the big shows that there are some bargains in collectable arms, and dealers seem ready to quickly accept 10-15% less than asking prices; even when their price is pretty good to start! I purchased 5 antique rifles at Denver in May, and all were much cheaper than I ever thought I'd see those guns again. Especially considering the condition, and rarity of the models. The average antique gun, that's not especially collectable, seem to be holding the same values they have for years. It's the high dollar antique guns that seem to be off their usual pricing.
A new AR can be had for just over $500.
11B30
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

"A model A truck is in the bucket list for this kid."
--SoreShoulder

That would be nice, but I want a Mack chain drive pick-up or school bus!
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I haven't been into the gun stuff in a while ... too much else going on with kids, etc.

So the other day I jumped on Gunbroker and looked up one of my favorites ... the Colt Diamondback. At this point I sensed the unraveling of the space-time continuum. Somehow the .38 Special Diamondbacks are listing in the same general area of 'ask' as the .22 Long Rifle guns. They used to hover around 1/3. Now, I don't generally have a problem with the .38 Special guns given the smooth action and scaled down Python frame ... I'm sure they are fine revolvers. I'm just not sure I understand why they are at all comparable to the .22 LR guns now. Are we peaking here and is there some irrationality creeping into the market ... or am I just a rim-fire snob.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:.. or am I just a rim-fire snob.
Yes, you are. You have not been hanging around us center fire rednecks for quite some time. Is that because rimfire people are uppity and can afford to shoot without having to reload? :D Just playing bro.....ain't heard from ya. :D

As for the 38 coming up in price on the Diamondbacks, my guess is that the 22 version priced itself out of reach of most normal working people. My buddy at Targetmaster has a like new one in .22 with the longer barrel in the box for $1875.....I would not pay that much for two of them. The Colt snake guns are definitely in a bubble.....at the show last weekend a dealer had two Python stainless jobs new in the box for $4495 each!! Dang! I paid $400 for a 6" nickel NIB......but in all fairness, that was in 1978. :D

Marlinman...you still there????.......I read your post and I agree.....good collectibles in the 3-10K range are about 20% off. That's one variety (high end) I never thought would drop as there's always a bunch of rich guys who just don't care about the prices.....on the other hand, these high end guns have been overpriced in the last 10-15 years or so. 15 years ago a 98% 1886 .....in the blued receiver variation.....could be had for 38-45 and almost overnight they jumped to 8-10 where the case colored one went from 6k to 12 .....like doubled in price in a few short years. Maybe this "new" price is about what it should be.----6

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

sore shoulder wrote:A model A truck is in the bucket list for this kid.
Ive liked the 30s vintage stuff for a long time. This was fun to see, 1937 Ford at the Silver State Classic,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fThF8a03wdg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TINvQfXIpE
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Malamute wrote:
sore shoulder wrote:A model A truck is in the bucket list for this kid.
Ive liked the 30s vintage stuff for a long time. This was fun to see, 1937 Ford at the Silver State Classic,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fThF8a03wdg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TINvQfXIpE
Haha, cool truck, but theres literally nothing in or on that truck thats from 1937 lol
11B30