So I thought I shot pretty well at 100m. How about 720yds?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

So I thought I shot pretty well at 100m. How about 720yds?

Post by jdad »

I've owned several CZ452 rifles, so I know of their accuracy capabilities.

This is with CCI Stingers I think. He's not even using match ammo. :shock: EDIT: Correction, he's using Velocitors.

This guy can shoot! https://youtu.be/lQEbJhcx4os
Last edited by jdad on Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: So I thought I shot pretty well at 100m. How about 720

Post by Blaine »

Looks like lots of fun..... 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Not Stingers, he was using Velocitors, heavier bullets, but still at 728 yards! :o :mrgreen:
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

And shooting down hill !
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

With a trigger job and good glass, those little CZ bolt guns can milk just about every ounce of performance out a .22 rimfire, can't they? I've only seriously shoot out to 200 yards with a .22. IT was a lot of fun, but boy, you better have good wind conditions.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Bill in Oregon wrote:With a trigger job and good glass, those little CZ bolt guns can milk just about every ounce of performance out a .22 rimfire, can't they? I've only seriously shoot out to 200 yards with a .22. IT was a lot of fun, but boy, you better have good wind conditions.
Being able to read the wind would probably be the most difficult part, of long range 22 shooting.. I spoke with a long range shooter who said it's easier to deal with a 10mph wind near the target than a 5mph wind at the muzzle.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Does not impress me at all....speaking from experience.......first, we all know the .22 bullet will go that far, second, there was no wind to speak of, third, most importantly, he was shooting downhill and gravity only works on a vertical level so that means......by an estimation on my part, looking at the hill, he was probably only shooting 450-500 yards as to gravity...if that far.

He does not even have a angle mount on the rifle which long range shooters almost always have. With an angle mount with the scope set on it lowest setting, the gun will not shoot "on" until it reaches 4-500 yards. With Nightforce scopes or quality Swarovski and Leupolds, there is enough adjustments of minute of angle to eliminate the angle mount. This cat was using a 10 cent Chinese scope.

Some years back I was sitting on a cliff in Colorado while hiking and decided to play with a Ruger Single Six old model. My angle was at least 45 degrees and I picked out a rock...or whatever it was...in the lake a good 500 yards away and I let loose. I was astounded that the water splashes were only 3 or 4 feet below the rock. Then, I put away my Italian heritage and installed my German half and easily figured it out.

Don't mean to be a spoil sport but what this guy did any of us could do with the right conditions.-----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Sixgun wrote:Does not impress me at all....speaking from experience.......first, we all know the .22 bullet will go that far, second, there was no wind to speak of, third, most importantly, he was shooting downhill and gravity only works on a vertical level so that means......by an estimation on my part, looking at the hill, he was probably only shooting 450-500 yards as to gravity...if that far.

He does not even have a angle mount on the rifle which long range shooters almost always have. With an angle mount with the scope set on it lowest setting, the gun will not shoot "on" until it reaches 4-500 yards. With Nightforce scopes or quality Swarovski and Leupolds, there is enough adjustments of minute of angle to eliminate the angle mount. This cat was using a 10 cent Chinese scope.

Some years back I was sitting on a cliff in Colorado while hiking and decided to play with a Ruger Single Six old model. My angle was at least 45 degrees and I picked out a rock...or whatever it was...in the lake a good 500 yards away and I let loose. I was astounded that the water splashes were only 3 or 4 feet below the rock. Then, I put away my Italian heritage and installed my German half and easily figured it out.

Don't mean to be a spoil sport but what this guy did any of us could do with the right conditions.-----6
Sorry Jack, I forgot that you were a Master Class long range shooter. :roll: ........and no I don't think many people could hit a piece of paper at 300yds consistently, much less at 700yds, with a 22LR.

That's like we could all shoot 40x40 if we could just hold steady. :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Geeze........just explaining to the uninformed why it's a relatively easy thing to do and while I'm no Master Class in long range shooting, I've fired many thousands of rounds past 500 rounds. Just last weekend I was shooting 1,000 yards at The Ridgway Rifle Club........with a 40-60 Marlin and several weeks before that I was shooting the 1,000 yd. buffalo at the same club using a tang sighted 1894 in 30-30 with cast bullets. It's nothing to "walk your shots" to the target you want to hit just like those guys did using the water for markers.

What's HARD to do is to pull a rifle out of a case, dial it in and then do what my good friend Gunny did three weeks ago while I was at Ridgway. In the picture below you will see the first set of round signs with numbers on them. That is 200 yards and each successive set of round signs are 300,400,and 500 meters. Then there is a green area and after that are the 850, 900, 950, and 1,000 yard banks where the long range "varmint benchrest" targets are. This is the only rifle club in the nation that holds this discipline of silhouette shooting.

I regularly shoot the 200 meter chickens and 300 meter pigs and even the 385 meter turkeys and 500 meter rams with handguns, specifically a 10" Ruger Maximum using 180 gr. Jacketed Sierras with a casefull of 296. While I miss more often than hit them I sure would not want to be standing next to the target on the misses. It's nothing to hit the chickens and pigs with any open sighted leverguns including the 32-20. It really is nothing and does not take a lot of skill.

In the upper left hand corner of the picture is a small white thing. This is a metal buffalo at 1,000 yards. At the bottom left hand corner of the buffalo is a small white metal plate that is about 8" square. This cannot be seen in the picture. This brings us to what I witnessed what "The Gunny" did. He pulled out his 6.5 X .284 rifle from the case and dialed in his $2,000 Nightforce scope then he instructed me to "get an eyeball" on the 8" plate at 1,000 yards with my Leupold spotting scope. I told "The Gunny" to "send it" to which he pulled the 8 ounce trigger and a second later the bullet hit the 8" plate.

The guy on You Tube was not shooting offhand as in silhouette shooting but had a tripod of some sort and a spotter with a spotting scope.

So yes, while I'm no master, I'm around this stuff all the time and could have easily duplicated what the guy on You Tube did......and....I would be able to do it with a good Model 39 Marlin...if I could get a decent scope on it and a spotter and most everyone here could also-----6

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sixgun wrote:Some years back I was sitting on a cliff in Colorado while hiking and decided to play with a Ruger Single Six old model. My angle was at least 45 degrees and I picked out a rock...or whatever it was...in the lake a good 500 yards away and I let loose.
....hey......that was me, floatin' along in my new kayak....!!!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

AJMD429 wrote: ....hey......that was me, floatin' along in my new kayak....!!!
Oh stuff.....that reminds me of the "crazy lady" back in 1972....-----6

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Well although the downhill angle does indeed lessen the scope angle needed, it doesn't increase accuracy for left-right windage. The accuracy of the gun, ammo and shooter still has to be there to stay on target. I agree that there's very little wind, and any wind with a 40 gr. bullet at the velocity of a .22LR will affect it a lot. Nice having the lake in front also, as a .22 hitting anywhere other than the target would be impossible to detect on any other surface. Even a dusty dry ground in front would not give enough indication with a .22LR as to where the misses were.
I've frequently shot my Win. 52 and my Schoyen Ballard .22 at 150-300 yds., and once the guns are adjusted to strike at those ranges, they are consistent enough to be boring. The Schoyen will hit the 150 yd. target all day long every shot, with iron sights. And the 300 is almost as consistent with irons. Would love to try them both at 500 yds., but not enough scope adjustment, or sights to not have to hold over at those distances.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/