Henry 45-70........updated with info

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Henry 45-70........updated with info

Post by wvfarrier »

Recently picked up a new Henry Full steel 45-70. Is the action as strong as the marlin? I ask because I have some HSM "bear loads" which are a +p round that I wanna use for a hunt. Can it handle them? I don't wanna ruin a beautiful rifle ;-)
Last edited by wvfarrier on Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Henry 45-70

Post by AJMD429 »

It looks like a Marlin, but.............I'd call Henry, and see what they say about factory "+P" loads; anyone else's answer is just going to be conjecture.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote:It looks like a Marlin, but.............I'd call Henry, and see what they say about factory "+P" loads; anyone else's answer is just going to be conjecture.
What he said. I'm betting on the Henry, though.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Thank you for your interest in Henry rifles.

All of our Henry .45-70 rifles can handle any reputable brand of factory loaded rounds, with standard and +P loads, standard profile bullets (round-nose, flat-nose, and hollow-point), and which are SAAMI (up to 28,000 c.u.p.) pressure compliant. You may need to call the ammo manufacturers to confirm which loads are SAAMI compliant if not marked on the website or packaging.

Also, any .45-70 ammunition that the manufacturer states is safe for modern, 1895-model Marlin-type actions can be safely used in any Henry .45-70 rifles.

Our rifles are not designed to use the antique-action (e.g., ‘Trapdoor’) ammunition, or the overly-powerful ammunition that is made for Ruger-type actions.

Regards,
Jeffrey Post
Technical Customer Service
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Henry 45-70........updated with info

Post by AJMD429 »

Refreshing to see a real answer from a manufacturer, and not just lawyereze.....
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I'm glad that Henry wont build something I can't live without. :D .
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

AJMD429 wrote:Refreshing to see a real answer from a manufacturer, and not just lawyereze.....
EXACTLY my thought as well. That is a carefully thought out, very useful response to a good question.
I don't have a Henry, don't plan to buy one so I don't have a dog in this hunt, but I really appreciate a company that can respond to a legitimate question in a manner that doesn't have to be parsed out into so much "legalese" that it's worthless.
Kudos to Henry..!!!
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

I was pretty impressed as well
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

Don't mean to hijack your thread but are you going to New River Gorge Bridge Day to jump off the bridge? :lol:
The Lord Bless You

Terry
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

On the Garrett website their +P 540 gr Hammerhead ammo with 35,000 cup chamber pressure is only recommended for "modern Marlin and Henry rifles". FYI

Bob in Friday Harbor, WA
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

... with standard and +P loads... and which are SAAMI (up to 28,000 c.u.p.)
So which is it, +P or 28,000? Perhaps by +P he means between typical factory levels (which are down by 20,000) and the full SAAMI spec of 28,000. Clearly he's ruling out 35,000 loads, but then comes:
... safe for modern, 1895-model Marlin-type actions...
which is generally taken to be above SAAMI some. To close he offers:
... not designed to use the antique-action (e.g., ‘Trapdoor’) ammunition...
which is very poorly worded, for I'm pretty sure he means they didn't intentionally design it so weak it can only use the 16,000 level ammo found in some load books.

Why couldn't he just say "any ammo the maker says is below 35,000" or something equally clear?
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Used to be in the "industry". I pressure tested lots of ammo including the 45-70 (a personal favorite). No one makes a 28K factory load. They are either well below it or well above it. Garrett is a very sane +P load. Others (not named intentionally) that are well known are well above Garrett. If I were rating them, I would call factory standard, Garrett +P, and the "others" +P+. Obviously the "others' do not have a track record of blowing up guns but they are pushing right up to the edge of the envelope and are beyond my personal pressure comfort zone, at least with my own modern Browning and Winchester 86s. Doesn't tell you anything about the rifle in question but just saying that Garrett is not pushing the pressure envelope as much as others do. If Henry won't green light Garret, they are just urinating into the wind. Sorry, I never tested the HSM ammo so don't know where they are on pressure.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

guido4198 wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:Refreshing to see a real answer from a manufacturer, and not just lawyereze.....
EXACTLY my thought as well. That is a carefully thought out, very useful response to a good question.
I don't have a Henry, don't plan to buy one so I don't have a dog in this hunt, but I really appreciate a company that can respond to a legitimate question in a manner that doesn't have to be parsed out into so much "legalese" that it's worthless.
Kudos to Henry..!!!
Heck, last time I called Henry, the guy who picked up the phone was Tony... on the third ring.

And he was totally cool, knowledgeable and unflustered with talking to a lowly individual customer. He personally took my parts order and I got it as fast or faster than an automated interweb order.

Tony is great. Some of his guns are heavier than I like or feel is necessary, but he runs a 110% solid shop.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Leverluver wrote:Used to be in the "industry". I pressure tested lots of ammo including the 45-70 (a personal favorite). No one makes a 28K factory load. They are either well below it or well above it. Garrett is a very sane +P load. Others (not named intentionally) that are well known are well above Garrett. If I were rating them, I would call factory standard, Garrett +P, and the "others" +P+. Obviously the "others' do not have a track record of blowing up guns but they are pushing right up to the edge of the envelope and are beyond my personal pressure comfort zone, at least with my own modern Browning and Winchester 86s. Doesn't tell you anything about the rifle in question but just saying that Garrett is not pushing the pressure envelope as much as others do. If Henry won't green light Garret, they are just urinating into the wind. Sorry, I never tested the HSM ammo so don't know where they are on pressure.
Garrett makes several different 45-70 loads. On the Garrett site, most of the loads are recommended for Henery. A couple are not.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Good to know. From the ones I did test, I would believe their idea of what is or is not proper for a particular rifle. They are intelligently conservative yet still produce the performance.
BTW, due to the fast speeds of the powders than produce the performance, the 45-70 is one of the most touchy cartridges when going for top speeds. That precious last 100fps can easily cost 10-15Ksi in pressure depending on the bullet weight.