OT - Remington Model 25 in 25-20

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

OT - Remington Model 25 in 25-20

Post by Pop Watts »

A few months ago I passed on a nice Remington 25 in 32-20 because I wanted one in 25-20. Now one has come along but I have one question that I still have not really got an answer to. So can someone help me? Can I load pointed bullets into the mag? I have been told that the cartridges do not stack nose to tail in the tube of the Model 25 - is this correct? I hope someone out there can offer some help.

Thanks, Pop.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I am not familar with the Remington 25 model, but as a basic principle I would not load any spire-point (pointy) bullet in any firearm that stores the rounds in a tubular magazine. Basically, if there is a chance the nose of one bullet will rest against the primer of the next round, avoid a pointy-tipped bullet like the plague! :shock:
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

What bullets did you want to use and why? I'd like to know because that does make a difference.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

Hobie, I was thinking of trying some polymer tipped projectiles - like the Hornady v-max style.
I am quite familiar with the story of not loading pointed spitzer style bullets into tube magazines - but the point of my question is that I have been told that the Remington 25 has a tube magazine, but that the bullets loaded into it are seperated from touching each other and it would not then matter if spitzer type bullets were used. ( other than exceding max o.a.l )
The guy selling the Remington has never fired it and lives around 2000km away ( 1250 miles boys ) so I was hoping someone could tell me if the old Remington 25 has such a miraculous magazine.

Thanks for the responses. Pop.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

You know, I can't remember if Remington put the spiral grooved mags on the 25s. If so then yes, it is "miraculous" but if not then no, it works like all the others.

I understand the urge. As one who has loaded his .25-35 down to .25-20 velocities with the 86 gr. JFP, I don't see the need for the wonder bullets. Are you thinking about the 75 gr. VMAX? That would be interesting, I can get 2800 fps from my .25-35 and it is accurate.

And then I was thinking, will those longer bullets FEED in the 25?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I have a Remington 25 in 25-20 and it is a very fine little rifle. This family of Remington pump guns does have the spiral magazine tube that in theory allow them to be used with pointed bullets.

That being the case, I am not enthusiastic about your choice of bullets.

1) The Remington barrel has a slow twist and won't stabilize bullets much over 90 grains.

2) Remington and others sell proper bullets for the 25-20 that weight in about 70 to 85 grains.

3) These rifles are really wonderful with cast bullets.

I paid $300 for my rifle 11 years ago and the first time I had it at the range, a fellow offered me $500.00 for it. You have a very fine rifle.
32-20
Levergunner

Post by 32-20 »

I have never seen a model 25 with a spiral tube,the 14's and 141's are the only model's with the spiral mag. tube.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

i dont beleive the recoil in a 25/20 would set off a mouse's butt much less a primer, but on the other hand this is not the strongest rifle anyway, and with proper, safe loads i dont think you would gain anything ballistically by using pointy bullets.
cable
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

32-20 is right. My M25 did not have a spiral tube, the 14's and 141's are the only model's with the spiral mag. tube. Why worry about it? Speer 75's, Hornady 60's and cast bullets from Oregon Trail and Meister are available everywhere. Inside 200 yards, spitzers would not gain enough in trajectory (if even measureable) to be worth the risk. While recoil with spitzers might not set off primers, what if you dropped the gun? It may only take once.