Lead free bullet casting?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
clampdaddy
Levergunner

Lead free bullet casting?

Post by clampdaddy »

With the lead ban here in Ca. getting closer every day with no available bullets (that I have been able to find) I have been thinking of selling my .375 WCF and replacing it with something more load freindly. Today I ran across this lead free bullet casting alloy and was wondering if any of you have tried it.

http://www.rotometals.com/mobile/produc ... fgodISIDUA
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Lead free bullet casting?

Post by Blaine »

At about 15$$ plus shipping for about 15ea 125grain .357 bullets....I do believe I'll practice a little civil disobedience... :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
clampdaddy
Levergunner

Post by clampdaddy »

BlaineG wrote:At about 15$$ plus shipping for about 15ea 125grain .357 bullets....I do believe I'll practice a little civil disobedience... :lol:
If my math is correct, a pound would net you 56, 125 grain bullets.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

clampdaddy wrote:
BlaineG wrote:At about 15$$ plus shipping for about 15ea 125grain .357 bullets....I do believe I'll practice a little civil disobedience... :lol:
If my math is correct, a pound would net you 56, 125 grain bullets.
:oops: :oops: :oops: You are absolutely correct....I used the wrong pound to grains formula....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

My understanding is that the lead ban is just on hunting. Range loads, etc., can still be lead.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

"My understanding is that the lead ban is just on hunting. Range loads, etc., can still be lead."
--Griff

If that is true, I bet we will soon hear about the "rifle range lead bullet loophole" -- lead bullets shot at ranges and the water run off run carries lead particles into and pollutes the local water supply, streams, etc. Banning lead hunting bullets was just the first step to banning all lead bullets....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Ray Newman wrote:" , . Banning lead hunting bullets was just the first step to banning all lead bullets....
Take that to the bank. :roll:
clampdaddy
Levergunner

Post by clampdaddy »

Yep. It's just a matter of time. Truth be told, I actually prefer lead free in my deer rifles and was shooting them long before there were even talks of a lead ban. A 110 grain tsx at 3500 fps is pure poison out of my .270wsm. Just wish they'd give us a break on the calibers that aren't readily available in copper.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

At that kind of money...for the bismuth/tin alloy, I'd buy a lathe and cut my own out of brass scrap or better yet, move the hell out of Kal as its only going to get worse.----6
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

It takes a LOT of individual tweaking, but it IS possible to cast Zinc into reasonable bullets...

The problem with Zinc vs Lead is Lead + Zinc.

Either is useful... Zinc less so than lead since it doesn't deform as readily, but, in combination, casting SUX.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

At that kind of money...for the bismuth/tin alloy, I'd buy a lathe and cut my own out of brass scrap or better yet, move the hell out of Kal as its only going to get worse.----6
Yeppers! They put the last straw on this camels back! Idaho... here I come.
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I escaped CA seven years ago mostly because of it's crazy, ignorant politics. CA politicians don't need scientific proof that any substance is dangerous or toxic, it just may not be pretty, and besides, CA is "governed" by Los Angeles the San Francisco bay area, and Sacramento, all urban, big city ideologies, and sportsmen are looked down on as "wildlife killers".

BTDT. I worked in the motion picture lighting industry for several years and at a "Hollywood" cocktail party/informal sales call,m I made the mistake of telling a lady that handguns were my hobby. I was immediately lambasted as a "freak" and "sexual devient" (the long stiff barrel signifying an erect penis and firing the gun was akin to ejaculaton) and I was one sick, sick man. That's the kind of attitude seen in CA cities and unfortunately, those elected are much the same...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote:At that kind of money...for the bismuth/tin alloy, I'd buy a lathe and cut my own out of brass scrap or better yet, move the hell out of Kal as its only going to get worse.----6
Washington will be right behind Kali. Oregon, too.... :evil:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
clampdaddy
Levergunner

Post by clampdaddy »

I imagine that eventually every state will go down this road. Just like mandatory non toxic shot for waterfowl. It will take much longer as it's not regarding migratory game, but eventually some do-gooder will push it at the federal level and ruin it for everyone.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

My only question has been where in the heck do these dumbazzs think lead comes from?
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I spent what seemed like a lifetime down there one summer. Never had a desire to go back to Kalifornistan .
Gary
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gary »

fordwannabe wrote:My only question has been where in the heck do these dumbazzs think lead comes from?
I once told a liberal that lead occurs naturally in the environment. His head nearly exploded with incredulity.

From http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/substances/tox ... p?toxid=22...
Lead is a naturally occurring bluish-gray metal found in small amounts in the earth's crust. Lead can be found in all parts of our environment.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

mikld wrote:I escaped CA seven years ago mostly because of it's crazy, ignorant politics. CA politicians don't need scientific proof that any substance is dangerous or toxic, it just may not be pretty, and besides, CA is "governed" by Los Angeles the San Francisco bay area, and Sacramento, all urban, big city ideologies, and sportsmen are looked down on as "wildlife killers".

BTDT. I worked in the motion picture lighting industry for several years and at a "Hollywood" cocktail party/informal sales call,m I made the mistake of telling a lady that handguns were my hobby. I was immediately lambasted as a "freak" and "sexual devient" (the long stiff barrel signifying an erect penis and firing the gun was akin to ejaculaton) and I was one sick, sick man. That's the kind of attitude seen in CA cities and unfortunately, those elected are much the same...
DIMWITS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HATE PEOPLE THAT WERE FORCE FED BILIOUS DUMP IN THE PUBLIC FOOL SYSTEM AND DON'T HAVE THE WIT TO SEE THEIR OWN NOSES AND THINK FOR THEMSELVES!
off soap box.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

mikld wrote:I escaped CA seven years ago mostly because of it's crazy, ignorant politics. CA politicians don't need scientific proof that any substance is dangerous or toxic, it just may not be pretty, and besides, CA is "governed" by Los Angeles the San Francisco bay area, and Sacramento, all urban, big city ideologies, and sportsmen are looked down on as "wildlife killers".

Answer to the Hollyweird types: "I'll stop using firearms when Hollywood does. My firearms have killed fewer people than Hollywood prop guns have - so go protest Hollywood's use before protesting mine."
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!