Worth the stop....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Worth the stop....

Post by .45colt »

Last Week Momma and I took a trip up to Mackinaw Island MI. We haven't been there in about 7 years. stayed a few days saw some more cool stuff, the Bridge is awesome as usual. was very hot but that made the Beer taste better. On the way back we stopped in Gaylord to go to Jays sporting Goods. they moved to a bigger store. They have the best selection of reloading supply's, powders and just about anything else related to shooting, fishing, hunting one could imagine. anyone going up I-75 in Michigan needs to take a few minutes. Great Sporting Goods.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Worth the stop....

Post by Blaine »

That's a beautiful area. I've only been over the bridge once. Thanks for reminding me of a grand trip. 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Wow, I haven't been to Jay's in years. They used to have a great used gun rack. Pulled some real trophies out of there!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Thank you for the tip on Jays.

By coincidence, I'm going to be at one of my company's facilities in the Roscommons/Grayling area in a couple weeks.

Looks like this place is just a hop, skip, and jump up the road from where I'm staying.

Just to be an optimist, I'll take extra bucks from my gun fund, just in case.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

wecsoger wrote:Thank you for the tip on Jays.

By coincidence, I'm going to be at one of my company's facilities in the Roscommons/Grayling area in a couple weeks.

Looks like this place is just a hop, skip, and jump up the road from where I'm staying.

Just to be an optimist, I'll take extra bucks from my gun fund, just in case.
Grayling...another great area. I've been to Camp Grayling several times on military business.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

All in all, the area doesn't have many good memories for me, but I was up there in February over in Alpena on a big air national guard exercise. There's more than a couple weeks of my life I'll never get back.

High point (of sorts) of that trip, I was working as a security forces augmentee. Late afternoon, command post shut down the exercise, and another sgt. and I were called to the armory to draw ammo and gear...wait, what? This was Air Force, we do wrenches, not guns.

Turns out one of our F-16's lawn darted into the range in Grayling and we were 'picked to volunteer' to go over to the crash site to secure. Bussed us all over, other guy and I got a helicopter ride to the site, everyone else got trucked in.

Did I mention this was February? Other guy and I set up a post at the base of a hill, because there was no way we were going close to, or downwind of the crash site. For those of you who don't know, military aircraft in general, and F-16's in particular have plenty of noxious, dangerous and general life threatening chemicals I want nothing to do with, especially when scattered across the country side.

We had couple looky-loos (military, in hummvees come by. They were officers, told them about the chemicals, told them we didn't really care if they went up the hillside, but we may consider shooting if they came down carrying armloads of aircraft parts.

Recovery team came in later that night, took us almost two hours to get out of there while we were stacked in the bed of a 4x4 truck.

Oh, yeah, pilot punched out, he was contemplating building a shelter and looking for nuts and berries when they picked him up.

Final story couple months later, main bearing on engine shaft seized, due to defective oil delivery, and since the -16 is a single engine...

I wound up with a horrible sinus infection and I hope this visit will be much better.
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

South of Lansing in Jackson (I-94 and I-127) is a shop I always recommend for treasure-seekers. Schupbach's in Jackson is a family-owned and run must-stop with 2000 guns advertised and I believe it - plus a full service archery store with two floors of archery ranges above.

The Shupbachs and 100% of their staff are hunters and shooters from MI to Alaska to Africa experience.

Jay's stores are no slouches, but they do like full retail pricing IMO. Still their selection is vast. I will second the experience with used gun selections, and I have found some Ruger No 3s and Win 94BB guns there from time to time.
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Thanks for that tip, I'll see how my trip to Graying works out and I may try to check this one out on the way back.

I've been to so many Cabelas nationwide (including the one nearby in Dundee) that I'm pretty much burnt out on them.