A Grueling Work Day, Today...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

A Grueling Work Day, Today...

Post by Blaine »

The day after a three holiday is SO horrible....I was in charge of Solo Point this afternoon (North Ft Lewis, on Puget Sound)....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: A Grueling Work Day, Today...

Post by Sixgun »

Those things used to bother me but as I'm about to join the ranks of retirees I'm with ya! :D

30 days and counting...........------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Looks like pretty rough duty, glad you could handle it !!!!!!!!!!!
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

:mrgreen:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote:Those things used to bother me but as I'm about to join the ranks of retirees I'm with ya! :D

30 days and counting...........------6
I been doing this for near four years.....The best (and lowest paying :lol: ) job I ever had.....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Wish you would not use the "w" word in my presence. :lol:
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

You know it's time to leave when the standard greeting is,

"How long do you have to go?"

Cheers Mark
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BlaineG wrote:The day after a three holiday is SO horrible....I was in charge of Solo Point this afternoon (North Ft Lewis, on Puget Sound)....
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

I'm supervising the "Shadowy St Joe" River in front of the house after a busy weekend. The Kokanee salmon are running up now and I'm jigging for them off the end of my neighbor's dock. (He doesn't fish.). Yesterday morning caught six fish in seven casts. Watched a young moose swim across. Will get a picture up soon.
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Been retired 6 years this fall, and not sure how I ever found time for a job? I sure couldn't fit one in now!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Blaine, thanks for sharing. Brings back some great memories of the eight years we lived in Fircrest. Sure makes me want to pull on the waders, grab a fly rod and probe for cutts or pinks.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Blaine, thanks for sharing. Brings back some great memories of the eight years we lived in Fircrest. Sure makes me want to pull on the waders, grab a fly rod and probe for cutts or pinks.
Bill, you can see I'm facing west towards the Olympics, and if you launch there, and go south, there used to be great fishing for the sea-run cutthroats. There's a huge gravel barge wharf that's new since I fished that stretch, so I don't know if the operation has run off the fish....Another mile or so from that is the Nisqually River mouth/delta. Salmon, steelhead galore if you can find them before they enter the river. Gotta fight the injuns that throw a net across the river, and combat fishermen, though....I got tired of that.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

You really shouldn't push yourself that hard! :wink:
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

love seeing the good times all you retired folks are having but i must say that all of this is starting to make me feel aa bit funny......i will be 69 this fall, and i still work full time, as in 11 hours a day five days a week. i don't take call at night or work weekends but most folks my age are spending lots of time doing things they always wanted to do. we have expanded our practice into the valley, and bought new space, added on here in town, upgraded and added equipment, etc so all of us our committed to working on for at least 4 more years, pretty much full time, until all that is paid up. i really enjoy work but dang it there is a lot more i enjoy too. i have an interesting collection of lever guns etc that need more attention than they are getting ...... we were adding a partner so that we could each take about 12 weeks a year off[ until recently i never got more than 1-2 weeks per year off.] the partner decided not to relocate here, so i am still limited in time off. and as some may know, i have a severe genetic immune deficiency which at times makes life a bit precarious....or worse.....every few years it has come close to cashing me in......

well, i am just muttering and thinking aloud.....for which i apologize, but i could easily run out of time to do the things i always planned to do

.............and i have SO much ammo to shoot......
dang it !!! but all in all life has truly blessed me, and please don't think i am really complaining.....just trying to get my priorities straight .
Last edited by hfcable on Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
cable
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

It's surely a tough job, Blaine - but, somebody's got to do it ! ! . :mrgreen:

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I sold the drift boat a month ago...Just didn't get any use out of it. They are pretty much useless except on a river.
Sitting next to the Sound made me very much want to get out on the water again. I still have the nearly new Nissan 6hp outboard, so I'm wondering if I'd get some use out of a 12 foot Livingston skiff. They are a very stable craft in rough water yet small enough for an aging fat dude to handle alone....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

here's another good alternative:

https://www.porta-bote.com/

I bought a used 14 footer, and usually put a 5 hp on it, but it will take much larger motors.

they made a 10 and 12 footer I think.

very very stable, and we can put 4 people in a fishing with no problem. lots of people use them with motor homes,etc

I have used inflatables and this is way easier, more stable, runs faster, lots easier. its light enough to car top .

you can probably find one used locally. here's one on ebay for example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porta-Bote-12-f ... SwY0lXRmfe
cable
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

hfcable wrote:here's another good alternative:

https://www.porta-bote.com/

I bought a used 14 footer, and usually put a 5 hp on it, but it will take much larger motors.

they made a 10 and 12 footer I think.

very very stable, and we can put 4 people in a fishing with no problem. lots of people use them with motor homes,etc

I have used inflatables and this is way easier, more stable, runs faster, lots easier. its light enough to car top .

you can probably find one used locally. here's one on ebay for example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porta-Bote-12-f ... SwY0lXRmfe
Those are pretty nice. I've considered them before. A 12' with an electric motor might be ok. Thing is, that outboard I have is too heavy for me to schlep around, mount on the boat, take on take off etc...I'd rather have the motor permanently mounted on the transom, on a trailer where I don't have to mess with it....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

yes, these 4 cycle motors are not the light weight little powerhouses the 2 strokes were. I agree. I had a 4 hp Johnson 2 cycle, that weighed just at 29#s....my back appreciated that !
cable
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

hfcable wrote:yes, these 4 cycle motors are not the light weight little powerhouses the 2 strokes were. I agree. I had a 4 hp Johnson 2 cycle, that weighed just at 29#s....my back appreciated that !
The 6hp Nissan is about 90#....I could move it around a few feet, but it's not anything I would care to do every time I took it out....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

my 14 foot boat came with a nearly new [ 3 hours of use ] Nissan 9.9 hp 4 cycle that weighs 98#s.......it stays in the garage.. I bought a 4hp 4cycle Nissan that weighs 47#s. and I carry it down to the dock and don't use the 9.9 even once a year; even at 47 #s [ and three previous back surgeries ] I prefer carrying it on the four wheeler at that !
cable