Finding Mold handle for "Modern Bond" 30-40 Krag Bullet Mold

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
southfork
Levergunner 2.0

Finding Mold handle for "Modern Bond" 30-40 Krag Bullet Mold

Post by southfork »

At a local gun show I picked up a vintage "Modern Bond" bullet mold in 30-40 krag. It will cast two different weights of .311 bullets with each pour of lead. My research on the mold block numbers indicates the mold was made around 1900 and that it was intended for casting very accurate bullets specifically for the 30-40 Krag. I have not been able to find original mold handles for this "Bond" mold block, but I did find that my "small" Lyman mold handles ALMOST fit it. The Lyman handles are the right thickness for the Bond mold block channels, but they don't quite allow the mold block screws to line up with the holes in the handles because they can't slide far enough in toward the handle pivot point without interference. Maybe I can modify the Lyman small handles to fit, but maybe Lyman large handles would fit the "Modern Bond" mold block. Anybody familiar with vintage Modern Bond molds? I have an 1897 Springfield 30-40 Krag carbine with a mint bore that I want to start reloading for.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Finding Mold handle for "Modern Bond" 30-40 Krag Bullet

Post by Hawkeye2 »

The Lee 6 cavity mold handles are about as versatile as I have ever seen and they might well work. I bought a pair on Amazon for about $12 with free shipping as part of a larger order.
southfork
Levergunner 2.0

Post by southfork »

Do you think that the Lee 6 cavity mold handles are about the same thickness as Lyman small handles where they would engage a mold block? Hope so.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Thickness measured at the mold area, OAL with handles closed.

RCBS: .297" to .299" (1 example)
10 7/16" OAL

Lyman: .304" to .307" (2 examples)
8 1/8" OAL

Lee: .3048" (1 example)
10 7/8" OAL

The Lee handles are lighter than the RCBS and seem to have a better balance. This is without blocks attached in both cases. The metal portion of the Lee handles is much better finished than the RCBS or Lyman and the there was no variation in thickness measured anywhere. I haven't tried the 6 cavity Lees yet but they work smooth and the joint has a bolt and lock nut so it can be tightened if needed (they don't out of the box). It just occurred to me as I'm posting but a person could drill a series of holes in them to lighten them considerably. I'm sorry for not getting back to you sooner but I had put in some long hours, hope this helps.
miningconsultant
Levergunner

Post by miningconsultant »

Greetings,
Newbie here, saw your post and I have a spare set of Modern Bond handles if you are interested.
Butch