Marlin 35 Rem

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Marlin 35 Rem

Post by TraderVic »

Browsed the gun racks in a shop on my way through a town about an hour and a half from my farm this afternoon and there was an older 336 Marlin in 35 Rem sitting there. I opened the action and carried the rifle to the window where the sun was shining in and the bore just lit up....very nice to say the least. This is the first Marlin 35 Rem I've come across in this part of the world that has been cared for and not carelessly drilled or beat up. The rifle is an older model, but in nice condition. They were asking $479, which I think is a bit high. I realize value is relative/subjective, however I'd like to hear from some of you guys out there.

Regards, Vic
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Marlin 35 Rem

Post by Blaine »

I'm going to cop out and say if you like it, get it...They are never going to be cheaper anytime soon....I'd offer about 4, though.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

About a year ago, I found one at a Pawn Shop for $400. I didn't hesitate. I have not taken it hunting yet, but it shoots right to point of aim at the range. Get it, you won't regret it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Buy it. What are you arguing with yourself over $50 ????
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

It all depends on what configuration it is. A standard carbine with the barrel band and micro groove rifling is the most common and is worth 3-4. A sporting rifle with the 2/3 mag is worth 5, maybe more. The sporting carbine which is a short rifle without the barrel band is a 5-8 depending on pre micro groove or micro groove. The deluxe carbine with Ballard rifling and waffle top receiver can be worth a grand. Then there's the Texan with the straight grip....also desirable.
Condition is everything and it goes from there. ----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Why is it still in the pawnshop? They need to be saved from evil places like pawnshops and taken to loving homes so they can have a forever family. Ok I may be the wrong person to ask as I have 4 of them.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

TraderVic wrote:...This is the first Marlin 35 Rem I've come across in this part of the world that has been cared for and not carelessly drilled or beat up... They were asking $479, which I think is a bit high.

Regards, Vic
So, the NEXT time (if ever) you run across one like that, how much do you think it'll be then? Get it! :twisted:
Have you hugged your rifle today?
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

I didn't have much time to talk and the owner wasn't there to dicker with anyway, so I'll likely slide back through there in the near future.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

About 350 would be it for me if it's a standard carbine.

Then again, they aren't scarce around here either. They sold a lot of them here but they are more costly to shoot than the 30-30 so they can sit around awhile.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Don't forget to post pictures of your new Marlin... :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Griff wrote:Don't forget to post pictures of your new Marlin... :mrgreen:
Griff.........I don't know how to post pics (........yet).
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

TraderVic wrote:
I didn't either... but there's a good tutorial in the sticky section... :P :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Griff wrote:
TraderVic wrote:
I didn't either... but there's a good tutorial in the sticky section... :P :lol:
I'll check this out when time allows. Thanks !
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

These are sure tempting. There's one in a local shop, standard carbine with MicroGroove rifling and a Lyman peep for $400. I'd rather have a Model 8 in .35 though.
Last edited by Bill in Oregon on Sat May 21, 2016 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

TraderVic wrote:I didn't have much time to talk and the owner wasn't there to dicker with anyway, so I'll likely slide back through there in the near future.
Bet'cha it will be gone by then......
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The Sporting Carbine ( waffle top,not D&T) in .35 Rem. Was only made for 1 or 2 years, 1952 - 53
IIRC. I have one in about 90%+ condition that I value at $800 + .
After that they were smooth tops drilled and tapped. Mine is a very good shooter
Don't let that one get away.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

AJMD429 wrote:
TraderVic wrote:I didn't have much time to talk and the owner wasn't there to dicker with anyway, so I'll likely slide back through there in the near future.
Bet'cha it will be gone by then......
.....and if it's gone, it's gone. I'm at an age that I don't have to have something. Must weigh the "need it" with "want it" - as my reserves are a bit low.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:The Sporting Carbine ( waffle top,not D&T) in .35 Rem. Was only made for 1 or 2 years, 1952 - 53
After that they were smooth tops drilled and tapped. Mine is a very good shooter
The one I have is a '51 . Waffle top SC and drilled ( I assume factory ) for receiver sight.
Phil
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:The Sporting Carbine ( waffle top,not D&T) in .35 Rem. Was only made for 1 or 2 years, 1952 - 53

Chuck,
As you know, every bit of 8. Most guys think a Marlin is a Marlin. It's the variations and time frame that make all of the difference. A 1958 Chevy Impala with the 283 was one thing....then there's the 1958 Chevy Impala with factory fuel injection. An 1886 Winchester with the standard 26" oct. chambered in 45-70 is a nice rifle.....then you have an 1886 SRC chambered in 50-110 express. Yea....both are 1886 Winchesters but one is worth 5X what the other one is.

We know it's the same thing with 336 Marlins....especially the ones from the late forties to late 50's. I don't understand how anyone can put any kind of a price on a gun without knowing the details and condition.

This Marlin that's being talked about may be an early 336RC that's been given a $29.99 gunshop reblue with extra holes on the receiver/wood that makes it worth about $99.

We need to see pictures.----6

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Six , you are right on! 1894, that is why I said " IIRC". Even the Official Marlin History book ,written by Marlins official historian is not completely sure on the dates but collections seem to varify general dates.
Also how does one varify that the D& T was done at the factory and not at a gunsmiths shop?
I am one of those who believe the d&t'd (for scope)ones were started after they made the smooth tops. I think they all were d&t for receiver sights,but anything is possible so who realy knows? We just have to report what we have and believe to be correct.
Even the date codes are not set in stone according to some collectors I have talked to.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Sixgun wrote:

Chuck,
As you know, every bit of 8. Most guys think a Marlin is a Marlin. It's the variations and time frame that make all of the difference. A 1958 Chevy Impala with the 283 was one thing....then there's the 1958 Chevy Impala with factory fuel injection. An 1886 Winchester with the standard 26" oct. chambered in 45-70 is a nice rifle.....then you have an 1886 SRC chambered in 50-110 express. Yea....both are 1886 Winchesters but one is worth 5X what the other one is.

We know it's the same thing with 336 Marlins....especially the ones from the late forties to late 50's. I don't understand how anyone can put any kind of a price on a gun without knowing the details and condition.

This Marlin that's being talked about may be an early 336RC that's been given a $29.99 gunshop reblue with extra holes on the receiver/wood that makes it worth about $99.

We need to see pictures.----6

The Marlin 336 I'm referencing is all original....wood finish ( walnut stock ) and bluing, the bore is pristine. It is a standard, full tube magazine with a barrel band. The only "non factory" items on it is a forward sling stud mount ( band ) on the magazine tube and a rear sling stud on the butt stock.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Trader Vic,
Ok, we are getting somewhere. Now...the serial number under the lever...we need to know the prefix letter. That will usually tell the rest, but not always. Is there a gold trigger? Is the barrel marked "micro groove?" What does the top of the receiver look like? Is there wavy lines or is it smooth on top of the receiver?----6

horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

You pretty much know for certain that a CHEAP new Lever is going to run close to 5 bills. You can bet that the gun you are looking at is a higher quality than what is being pushed out the door these days. I would make a reasonable offer and be prepared to pay the asking price if needed.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Sixgun wrote:Trader Vic,
Ok, we are getting somewhere. Now...the serial number under the lever...we need to know the prefix letter. That will usually tell the rest, but not always. Is there a gold trigger? Is the barrel marked "micro groove?" What does the top of the receiver look like? Is there wavy lines or is it smooth on top of the receiver?----6
Didn't get the serial # when I was there ( yeah, I know... ). The trigger is not gold, I'm thinking the receiver top is smooth, otherwise I would have noticed and remembered the wavy lines. The bluing showed some wear just in front of the lever where one would carry the rifle while walking/hunting through the woods. I think this actually adds character to a rifle.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Sixgun wrote:It all depends on what configuration it is. A standard carbine with the barrel band and micro groove rifling is the most common and is worth 3-4. A sporting rifle with the 2/3 mag is worth 5, maybe more. The sporting carbine which is a short rifle without the barrel band is a 5-8 depending on pre micro groove or micro groove. The deluxe carbine with Ballard rifling and waffle top receiver can be worth a grand. Then there's the Texan with the straight grip....also desirable.

+1 - which "model" .35 Marlin can make a world of difference.

An 18-1/2" barreled Texan is worth $700, +/-, in excellent condition; and a 16-1/4" barreled Marauder is worth $900, +/-.

I look at a situation, like the OP's, thusly: Where else can I find another, in like condition, and within a handy distance, for the same money ? . :mrgreen:

If enough green paper's in your wallet, I would suggest you get it while the gettin's good. (and remember - That's why plastic was invented. ;) )

Last edited by Pete44ru on Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hkfrost
Levergunner

Post by hkfrost »

Pete44ru wrote:
Sixgun wrote:It all depends on what configuration it is. A standard carbine with the barrel band and micro groove rifling is the most common and is worth 3-4. A sporting rifle with the 2/3 mag is worth 5, maybe more. The sporting carbine which is a short rifle without the barrel band is a 5-8 depending on pre micro groove or micro groove. The deluxe carbine with Ballard rifling and waffle top receiver can be worth a grand. Then there's the Texan with the straight grip....also desirable.

+1 - which "model" .35 Marlin can make a world of difference.

An 18-1/2" barreled Texan is worth $700, +/-, in excellent condition; and a 16-1/4" barreled Marauder is worth $900, +/-.

I look at a situation, like the OP's, thusly: Where else can I find another, in like condition, and within a handy distance, for the same money ? . :mrgreen:

If enough green paper's in your wallet, I would suggest you get it while the gettin's good. (and remember - That's why plastic was invented. ;)

Ah yes, the "Marauder". I was lucky to find one in mint condition a few years ago! A very good day :mrgreen:
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Bill in Oregon wrote:
These are sure tempting.

There's one in a local shop, standard carbine with MicroGroove rifling and a Lyman peep for $400.

I'd rather have a Model 8 in .35 though.

After owning several different Marlin .35's, I'd rather have a .35 Remington Model 141................ wait a minute........ I've GOT one ! ! (Thanks, Bill ;) )

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Like Chuck 100 yd I also thought that when the waffle-top got replaced by smooth they also started d&t for scope. So at the Redmond gun show a couple weeks ago a fellow had this decent looking SC (30/30 in this case, "K" prefix so 1953?) with a smooth top, and still no scope mount holes. So there must have been at least a leetle bit of gap time between smooth top and the d&t. It looked lonely so I brought it home to join its big brothers (couple of 336A's). Jdad will recognize the Redfield receiver sight...
MarlinSC6793.jpg
SmoothTop6791.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Pete, no flies on a Model 141! Earl, that is another handsome Marlin you have there!
CalvinMD
Levergunner 1.0

Post by CalvinMD »

I have a mint SC 35Rem that's a drilled and tapped...I think it was a 54-55 gun and has a period correct Weaver K2.5 with the thin cross-hairs and small round dot..I get a super deal off my friends dads estate ...curiosity has me now to figure out the value...the darn thing shoots too...loves the new LeverEvo ammo putting the lot that I bought a case of 5 shots under 7/8th" ..scary accurate and took a nice 8pt Sika buck on Mds Eastern shore last fall with it...it was an 80yd DRT...I loved sitting in my stand with a classic deer thumper and it didn't let me down