1873 Rifle Recommendations?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Gunnie 12
Levergunner

1873 Rifle Recommendations?

Post by Gunnie 12 »

Okay, Uberti make 95% of al the 1873 rifles while Chaparral Arms being the other. Who imports the Chaparral Arms’ 1873’s?

Is there a particular importer than has an exceptional one or ones to stay away from?

Current 1873 choices include:

Cimarron (Uberti)
Talyor (Uberti)
Navy Arms (Uberti)

Q: These 1873 rifles can safely fire .38 ammo but not .357 safely?

Q: The “Taylor 1873 designed by Cody Conagherâ€
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I have an Uberti "long range" (30-inch) in .45 Colt imported by Navy Arms. I bought it second-hand. It is a beautiful weapon, and one I never intend on parting with. Testimonial enough?

Good luck!
copen
Levergunner

Post by copen »

Gunnie....I e-mailed Uberti about 357s in their 73s. I stated that I was interested in one for small game and perhaps deer and they replied that standard, factory loads were OK. E-mail them and ask the same question.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I have a Uberti special sporting rifle. 24" barrel half round/octoganal.It is tremendous. if If I buy another it will be Uberti.Jim.
Eric M.
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Eric M. »

Just purchased a Uberti Cattleman .45 Colt.
Great workmanship and exceptional accuracy for a cowboy gun.
I was just looking at the Uberti 1873's today for my next purchase.

Eric
God Bless Our Troops!!!
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Re: 1873 Rifle Recommendations?

Post by Grizzly Adams »

[quote="Gunnie 12"]Okay, Uberti make 95% of al the 1873 rifles while Chaparral Arms being the other. Who imports the Chaparral Arms’ 1873’s?

Charter Arms

Is there a particular importer than has an exceptional one or ones to stay away from?

All are made by Uberti, except the Chaparral. Quality in terms of shooting is the same. The Cimarron, IMHO. is marked more authentically than the others, and I personally like the finish in their version better. That said, Taylors is also a first rate outfit.

Current 1873 choices include:

Cimarron (Uberti)
Talyor (Uberti)
Navy Arms (Uberti)

Q: These 1873 rifles can safely fire .38 ammo but not .357 safely?

The 1873 is proofed and marked for the standard factory 357 loading. I don't think I would put any +P loads in one, however.

Q: The “Taylor 1873 designed by Cody Conagherâ€
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Gunnie 12
Levergunner

Post by Gunnie 12 »

“Thank youâ€
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

[quote="Gunnie 12"]“Thank youâ€
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Asa Smith
Levergunner

Race ready rifle

Post by Asa Smith »

Gunnie
I have a Taylors(73), Cimarron(76), Uberti's own import(73 dlx), Cabelas(66), EMF(66), and i had and sold a Navy arms 73 carbine, all in 45 Colt .
All are great guns, wood varies on all, no matter of make, Cimarron has the marking on the barrel like the originals, other that that it is the same as the others.
I shoot all my guns out of the box and have had good luck, a little rough at first but smooth out with use.
If you want a race ready gun i have heard good things about the Pioneer Gun Works guns, you may check them out.
http://www.pioneergunworks.com/wst_page9.html
Hope this helps
Asa Smith
SASS # 40835
Member of The Powder Creek Cowboys