New guy from Georgia

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
65 GRENDEL
Levergunner

New guy from Georgia

Post by 65 GRENDEL »

I didn't see a place for introductions so I thought I'd just post here about my two newly acquired lever action rifles. The first was a Winchester Ranger 30-30 and the second was a Marlin 1894 .357 Magnum, both are in good shape.
I'm not a newby to the Gun scene, I've owned many since I was 10, some 41 years. I've always been a bolt action guy and I really like the AR which is my go to rifle for Whitetails in 6.5 Grendel and .308. But this year I'll be hitting the hunt with my 30-30.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New guy from Georgia

Post by Tycer »

Welcome! You're gonna find you've caught a disease. It's called leveritis, in the symptoms are burning desire to buy more lever guns and a noticeable swelling of the ranks in your gun safe.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome to the fire :D your two lever action rifles should make fine huntin' companions.
Don't worry about the bolt action and AR thing, a lot of guys here hunt with even weirder stuff..... :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Welcome and yes, we use a bunch of weird stuff to match our own weirdness but levers, (preferably old ones) are our passion.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
65 GRENDEL
Levergunner

Post by 65 GRENDEL »

gamekeeper wrote:Welcome to the fire :D your two lever action rifles should make fine huntin' companions.
Don't worry about the bolt action and AR thing, a lot of guys here hunt with even weirder stuff..... :wink:
Here is my usual hunting rifle, the 6.5 Grendel. But like I said I hunt with ARs, AKs, SKS, bolt actions and now lever actions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Welcome to the deviation..yeah, we're a bunch of deviates...throwbacks to the 1800s.. But we love Leverguns. You'll fit right in.
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Welcome! Dis be da place...

Leverguns are jes plain old American! :lol:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Welcome to the camp !

Sit a spell, and soak up the craziness......... :)

Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

levergun walking in the great outdoors, woods, desert, above the timber line, ect....... it has a zen thing :D .

Other guns will do. but it just doesn't have that zen thing . :mrgreen:

John
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

It's already tooooo late to tell You to get out, while you can.. or have extra money for trivial things You used to do. there is always just "one" more Lever you will need, you will always be one lever from happy........So Welcome to the Party. :lol: .
65 GRENDEL
Levergunner

Post by 65 GRENDEL »

.45colt wrote:It's already tooooo late to tell You to get out, while you can.. or have extra money for trivial things You used to do. there is always just "one" more Lever you will need, you will always be one lever from happy........So Welcome to the Party. :lol: .
I've been there for a while but now, but now I've added the lever action as well to my battery of firearms.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

65 GRENDEL wrote:
.45colt wrote:It's already tooooo late to tell You to get out, while you can.. or have extra money for trivial things You used to do. there is always just "one" more Lever you will need, you will always be one lever from happy........So Welcome to the Party. :lol: .
I've been there for a while but now, but now I've added the lever action as well to my battery of firearms.
Welcome to a great forum !!! If your eyes are half way decent , a receiver sight on each of those leverguns and you will really enjoy how easy they are to carry and shoot :wink:
Have fun :D
Phil
65 GRENDEL
Levergunner

Post by 65 GRENDEL »

I'm afraid if I'm going to use iron sights I'm gonna have to go with a Skinner system, my old eyes just aint what they use to be. I'm running a Leupold 1-4-20 Hog on my 30-30 and a red dot on my 357 Magnum, trust when I say I wish my eyes were good enough for the stock irons.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

65 GRENDEL wrote:I'm afraid if I'm going to use iron sights I'm gonna have to go with a Skinner system, my old eyes just aint what they use to be. I'm running a Leupold 1-4-20 Hog on my 30-30 and a red dot on my 357 Magnum, trust when I say I wish my eyes were good enough for the stock irons.
I like AR and Garand sights so much I tried to duplicate them on my various leverguns.

Here's a thread with some of the different options I checked out, what I liked best, and why...
For longer-barreled, mostly range-use guns I do like Tang sights and Globe fronts, but for mid-length leverguns the repeatability of the Williams FP is awesome, and it is very durable and pretty streamlined. For shorty 16" guns I really like Marbles "Bullseye" sights. They are really FAST to use, but using the inner-ring they are precise enough to shoot some pretty good groups. They are VERY durable (spring steel so hard I had trouble drilling through one to modify it).

If you don't mind electronics, the Burris Fastfire-II is great for leverguns, especially in conjunction with a compact pistol laser just in front of it. See this thread - http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=31062.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Welcome, you'll fit right in here. As stated by most everyone, many of us own, shoot, and hunt with all kinds of stuff.
I shot my deer with a Ruger GSR last year........but it just ain't the same. Nothing is as fun as a good ole levergun.

I hear you with the eyes, but sometimes you can find sights that work. First thing to try is ditching the beads on front and going to a post. Making the irons work for you is worth the effort. It keeps a levergun slim and trim as it should be.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Welcome, glad to have you. I've been hearing a lot about those 6.5s lately they sound very impressive.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Welcome....And what those guys ^^^said + 1.
65 GRENDEL
Levergunner

Post by 65 GRENDEL »

I've shot Deer out to 425 with my 6.5 Grendel but that's about as far as I feel comfortable shooting Deer, I've punched paper out to 600 yards with it as well. However the 6.5 Creedmoor and the .260 are real life long distance calibers that can reach out and take game much further. Im going to build a 6.5 Creedmoor in the near future as soon as I can afford it.
65 GRENDEL
Levergunner

Post by 65 GRENDEL »

AJMD429 wrote:
65 GRENDEL wrote:I'm afraid if I'm going to use iron sights I'm gonna have to go with a Skinner system, my old eyes just aint what they use to be. I'm running a Leupold 1-4-20 Hog on my 30-30 and a red dot on my 357 Magnum, trust when I say I wish my eyes were good enough for the stock irons.
I like AR and Garand sights so much I tried to duplicate them on my various leverguns.

Here's a thread with some of the different options I checked out, what I liked best, and why...
For longer-barreled, mostly range-use guns I do like Tang sights and Globe fronts, but for mid-length leverguns the repeatability of the Williams FP is awesome, and it is very durable and pretty streamlined. For shorty 16" guns I really like Marbles "Bullseye" sights. They are really FAST to use, but using the inner-ring they are precise enough to shoot some pretty good groups. They are VERY durable (spring steel so hard I had trouble drilling through one to modify it).

If you don't mind electronics, the Burris Fastfire-II is great for leverguns, especially in conjunction with a compact pistol laser just in front of it. See this thread - http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=31062.
Thanks for the information and links, I've actually got two Fastfire lll's and they're nice.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Image and Welcome to THE Forum. What they said!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
65 GRENDEL
Levergunner

Post by 65 GRENDEL »

Today I got a chance to shoot my 1894 Marlin 357 mag and it shot great at 50 yards using a Bushnell TRS 25 red dot & 158 gr JHP Starfire PMC. I know some of the purists won't like that but my eyes just can't use the iron sights, but with the red dot on it I can make it sing and hit very accurately.
I've bought several brands through the years for my Ruger GP 100 so I'm going to try all of them before I buy bulk, i'm very interested in how the Hornady 125 gr FTX, 140 gr Leverevolution & Federal 180 gr SPs shot
Anyone here have a preference? This will more then likely stay as my truck gun, its pretty much my Self defense rifle to pair with the GP100.
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

You should rally try a receiver sight, I had though my days of taking game without optics were doen the I started playing with receiver sights and have taken deer out to 100 yards with them them last few years. What part of Ga do you call home I hunt /hang out in Randolf county when I have the time, and we have a 1000 yard range on sight.
65 GRENDEL
Levergunner

Post by 65 GRENDEL »

Outside of Douglas, GA
65 GRENDEL
Levergunner

Post by 65 GRENDEL »

wolfdog wrote:You should rally try a receiver sight, I had though my days of taking game without optics were doen the I started playing with receiver sights and have taken deer out to 100 yards with them them last few years. What part of Ga do you call home I hunt /hang out in Randolf county when I have the time, and we have a 1000 yard range on sight.
I wear bifocals,so if I use the lowers I can see the sights but the target blurs. When I can see the target its hard for me to see the sights, its a pain. But my peep sights on my ARs work good though which is why I mentioned the Skinner.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

[quote="65 GRENDEL"

I wear bifocals,so if I use the lowers I can see the sights but the target blurs. When I can see the target its hard for me to see the sights, its a pain. But my peep sights on my ARs work good though which is why I mentioned the Skinner.[/quote]

Same here with the bifocals. If I take 'em off and use plain shooting glasses, the sights are clear enough and the target's a bit blurry, which works better for me than blurry sights. However, I've been using peeps, including Skinner, for several years and they work well for me.

Welcome aboard!
Have you hugged your rifle today?
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Hi & Welcome!
A lot of us here have age on our eyes & have problems because of it, some also have a few Lever guns with scopes, I for one have a few scoped also

Brad
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Glad that you've signed on and joined the campfire!

I ain't 18 anymore, either. My .45-70 Marlin Guide gun sports some nice looking brass (bronze?) Skinner peeps and a Nikon Prostaff Shotgun Hunter 2-7x32 scope with BDC 200 reticle. Both work well; so if the scope falls off or malfunctions, I can still reach out and touch something despite my spectacles.
(Photo taken before scope was positioned properly)
65 GRENDEL
Levergunner

Post by 65 GRENDEL »

Do any of y'all keep the Hornady Levervolution loaded in your rifles? I've been reading that the plastic nose of the bullets begins to deform, I like Hornady ammo and would like to use it but not at the expense of performance.
65 GRENDEL
Levergunner

Post by 65 GRENDEL »

JohndeFresno wrote:
Glad that you've signed on and joined the campfire!

I ain't 18 anymore, either. My .45-70 Marlin Guide gun sports some nice looking brass (bronze?) Skinner peeps and a Nikon Prostaff Shotgun Hunter 2-7x32 scope with BDC 200 reticle. Both work well; so if the scope falls off or malfunctions, I can still reach out and touch something despite my spectacles.
(Photo taken before scope was positioned properly)
Nice, Nikon scopes are predominantly what's on most of my Deer rifles.
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

Welcome. Glad to have you here. Ga is a great state, I stole my wife from your state. 8)
65 GRENDEL
Levergunner

Post by 65 GRENDEL »

Smart man.