Powder coating some cast bullets

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Powder coating some cast bullets

Post by Les Staley »

Tried out powder coating, think it looks promising. Eliminates the need for lube on bullets, some say you can approach jacketed bullet velocities (don't know). First try on RCBS 45-500 bullets in the 45-70. My Shilo 1874 is sighted in with this bullet lubed with alox/Johnson's liquid floor shine (50/50) at 100 yds. Tried out PC bullets yesterday with the same charge (26.5 gr 5744). ImageImage
My wife says the loads look like lipstick..I said, yep, lipstick for a pig..
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Powder coating some cast bullets

Post by Les Staley »

The target is five shots at 100 yds, four in a good group, don't know what happened to the fifth shot. Will try ten next time. And don't be scanning my finger prints! There're copywrited information! FBI already has them anyhow.

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I was born this way.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Here's the rifle. Killed two elk and a bison and several deer over the years. Just now having some success with cast bullets.Image

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I was born this way.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Looks like a winner! I've been powder coating all my pistol bullets, and most rifle bullets for a while now. I really like it better than convention lube for most things. No smoke, no leading, faster than a lubesizer. I've run some 375 Winchester and 30-30 bullets to 2200 fps and maintained great accuracy, and when you're done shooting the bore is shiny and spotless. You can run the bullet as fast as the alloy will allow.
NRA Life Member
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Been thinking about trying it myself. The little reloading shop I go to has cast pistol bullets with powder coating. The owner was nice enough to give me ten bullets for free to try out. They shot really well out of my 1911. How do you guys apply the powder coat? Some kind of sprayer or something else?
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

There are several methods you can use to apply it. I use a cheap electric sprayer, but there are air/electric sprayers, or you can tumble them dry , or use a wet tumble method. The spraying and dry tumbling use static to let the powder adhere to the bullet before baking them. I find spraying is much faster because there is minimal handling of each bullet. I drop them inverted into a loading block and just turn it over on my baking tray so they are evenly spaced, 80 at a time. Spray them, and then slide the tray in the toaster oven. After the oven turns off and they cool, they are ready to load. There's a ton of information on powder coating over on the Cast Boolits forum.
NRA Life Member
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Thanks Ted.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

hondo1892 wrote:Been thinking about trying it myself. The little reloading shop I go to has cast pistol bullets with powder coating. The owner was nice enough to give me ten bullets for free to try out. They shot really well out of my 1911. How do you guys apply the powder coat? Some kind of sprayer or something else?
I've "dry coated" (much like tumble lubing. easiest method.) and I've sprayed quite a few (electrostatic spray outfit from HF). I like powder coating and have tried it in my .38/357s, .44 Mag, 45 ACP, 9mm, 303 British, 7.62x54, and a few in my '06 Garand. Go here for just about everything you'd wanna know about PCing bullets...http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdi ... e1d710a78f
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Any info on using powder-coated bullets with BP?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!