Fury........the movie

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Fury........the movie

Post by Bullard4075 »

Could someone please explain to me the whole sitting at the table scene?
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Fury........the movie

Post by pdentrem »

Quite often during WW 1&2, to try to keep their sanity, soldier would try to have a normal life setting during the horror of war. One comes across this a fair bit in reading the writing later by the soldiers.
Pierre
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The 1978 with Kirk Douglas?
IMO, way overacted. They were really treading the boards, and chewing the scenery on that one. Easily Douglas' worst movie ever.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

BlaineG wrote:The 1978 with Kirk Douglas?
IMO, way overacted. They were really treading the boards, and chewing the scenery on that one. Easily Douglas' worst movie ever.
The recent movie about the tank crew. My question is specifically about why so much hostility from the rest of the crew?
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Bullard4075 wrote:
The recent movie about the tank crew. My question is specifically about why so much hostility from the rest of the crew?
Sorry about that. I only knew of the old Douglas movie. Didn't remember any table scene in it. That's why I asked.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Bullard4075 wrote:
Because it's a movie. It's possible there were crews that were less than harmonious. But, what I learned from my dad (Super Sixth Armored Division) was that crews were usually really tight. Someone causing dissention usually was moved along.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

It's quite easy to write a script about a dysfunctional family or team and that equates to lower production costs. The good (?) guys spend all their time arguing and telling each other how they will have the other guy's *** if he's wrong and with just a little rewording it will fit right into next week's show or the next movie too. No dealing with action sets and special effects, all you need is a few characters and a backdrop. There are very few shows that really focus on a decent story line. I guess the public doesn't mind though you only have to look at all the current offerings and reality shows. It's another way of chewing up footage, same as riding right to left and then left to right in the old B westerns. I have only gone to the theater once in the last 20 years and that was to see "Lincoln" and until another movie of that quality comes along I probably won't bother to again.
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

Yeah, but the bikini scene with Amy Irving was kickin'!!!
I got the feeling the scene with "mother Knuckles" was an inside joke. - Brian
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

Without confrontation in movies, plays or literature, there is no drama, and without drama there is no story worth listening to.
Without it, the movie would be about a tank crew that drove across Europe in 1944 and had a pleasant time.

My main problem with that film was the battalion of german soldiers in the last scene that were as dumb as those Indians in the old 1950's westerns that kept running out just so they could get shot. All the lessons of "Saving Private Ryan" totally forgotten, and replaced with a B movie from 1952.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Bullard4075 wrote:The recent movie about the tank crew. My question is specifically about why so much hostility from the rest of the crew?
I was thinking it was because the rest of the group, the latecomers, wanted to simply have their way with the women, and that wasn't kosher in Pitts view.

My interpretation may have been clouded by pain meds, I think I saw it shortly after shoulder surgery.

For some reason enjoyed this scene. About my feelings regarding Nazis I suppose

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xREH8hYAip4
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

The movie is good entertainment. In particular I enjoyed Brad Pitts characters use of an StG44, the rifle all others have copied as far as modern arms are concerned. However, entertainment aside, the film, in particular the scene in question, was obviously written by someone who never spent a day in combat arms.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Malamute wrote:
Bullard4075 wrote:The recent movie about the tank crew. My question is specifically about why so much hostility from the rest of the crew?
I was thinking it was because the rest of the group, the latecomers, wanted to simply have their way with the women, and that wasn't kosher in Pitts view.

My interpretation may have been clouded by pain meds, I think I saw it shortly after shoulder surgery.

For some reason enjoyed this scene. About my feelings regarding Nazis I suppose

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xREH8hYAip4
My beloved Uncle Mac almost never talked about WWII (and, never the Bulge). But, we were talking about 30-06 once and he told me that you could line up 8 Nazis front to back and it would kill all of them with one shot.... :shock:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I dunno... I thought it was about a chance to put aside the war for a moment and feel normal for Pitts character ... Enjoy a bit of domesticity; Even though it was forced...Have some eggs cooked & served by women and feel normal eating a breakfast in a house... Crew hostility may be seen as being excluded from it or just hate of Germans... Or not wanting to let down & keep their edge... or just paint it black...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY