Sticks and stones... And mud...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Sticks and stones... And mud...

Post by Old Ironsights »

C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Sticks and stones... And mud...

Post by gamekeeper »

He sure has plenty of time on his hands but it just goes to show what you can achieve without modern technology.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

gamekeeper wrote:He sure has plenty of time on his hands but it just goes to show what you can achieve without modern technology.
If you ain't got tech, you got plenty of Time... (in the jungle anyway... us Frozen Whitefolk gotta spend more time looking for food...)
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

A sharp axe will build you a log cabin stands up better in the cold than a mud hut. danny
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BigSky56 wrote:A sharp axe will build you a log cabin stands up better in the cold than a mud hut. danny
A neighbor built a 'straw and mud' house about 40 years ago, and everyone said how it wouldn't last, but it has done fine. Gotta have a good roof, but he went high-tech on the roof, and got a standing-seam metal roof. It looks like it is about 2,000 square feet, and supposedly the house cost him about $10,000 to build (his labor), and I think the roof was twice that. Passive solar (half his cost was the windows I bet) with wood furnace for winter. My only concern would be tornados - I'd like a basement (he may have one for all I know) or a poured-concrete room somewhere.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

BigSky56 wrote:A sharp axe will build you a log cabin stands up better in the cold than a mud hut. danny
The point was to prove what could be (and is) done with nothing.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Fascinating. I found the clay pots and the fireplace to be the highlights for sure. Splitting the saplings was interesting, but simply using smaller branches would have been easier and better for the purpose. I took away a few thoughts on things I would have done differently, as is easy to do when armchair quarterbacking. I would have built off the ground several feet, considering the tropical nature of the environment, to get away from wet ground, bugs and as a small but still viable means of defense. You see this in south Asia even today. There seemed to be plenty of trees around that would have made this fairly easy. I would have made the fireplace a bit bigger in order to facilitate cooking. One thing to keep in mind is conservation of calories. In a situation where you find yourself building a shelter, the structure pictured is not very practical. A hoop method or lean-to would be much faster and more practical to get started because unless you brought a truckload of non perishables, your first priority is going to be food. The other priority is going to be defense. The time he spent on the shelter I would have been more inclined to spend on a fortification like a wall with the shelter incorporated. Otherwise I learned several things, cool vid.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

sore shoulder wrote:Fascinating. I found the clay pots and the fireplace to be the highlights for sure. Splitting the saplings was interesting, but simply using smaller branches would have been easier and better for the purpose. I took away a few thoughts on things I would have done differently, as is easy to do when armchair quarterbacking. I would have built off the ground several feet, considering the tropical nature of the environment, to get away from wet ground, bugs and as a small but still viable means of defense. You see this in south Asia even today. There seemed to be plenty of trees around that would have made this fairly easy. I would have made the fireplace a bit bigger in order to facilitate cooking. One thing to keep in mind is conservation of calories. In a situation where you find yourself building a shelter, the structure pictured is not very practical. A hoop method or lean-to would be much faster and more practical to get started because unless you brought a truckload of non perishables, your first priority is going to be food. The other priority is going to be defense. The time he spent on the shelter I would have been more inclined to spend on a fortification like a wall with the shelter incorporated. Otherwise I learned several things, cool vid.
I also found it fascinating. His knowledge of how to do all that was quite remarkable, especially since he didn't have to look at his I-phone even once. All the kids I see around here would have had to build it one handed!!! :roll: :lol:

As for the truckload of non perishables and a fortification, I'm thinking with all the money he saved, he's got a nice Winnie or Marlin levergun under his bed, and don't need all that! :lol: :lol:
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

You build habitation by the region you live in, here you can get a 20$ permit,use to be free, to get 90 dead trees what ever length you need for a log house labor and transport is on you. Ive built log cabins and the most it cost was time & sweat. Worst thing that can damage it is a woodpecker and settling and their done settling when the eves hit the ground. Plus with wood when you heat up a log cabin and the fires dies down the logs will radiate heat back into the cabin. danny
Grandpa Ron
Levergunner

Post by Grandpa Ron »

My question is why?

I have spent plenty of time in lean-tos and tents. They serve their purpose for temporary shelters.

If I were to spend my time just proving “I could”, I think I would try paper mache and exterior paint. Maybe not as natural but you could really get creative. :wink:

He does get an atta boy for effort.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

An interesting exercise.

I suppose that if you're out in the woods with nothing but your trousers and you plan to stay a while, this video might be quite instructive if you'd ever had the occasion to watch it before taking up residence in your primitive environ.

Puts together a lot of things I already had stored in the brain bucket in a practical way.

Thanks OI. I liked it.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Was that his demo tape he sent in to audition for Survivor?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/