This Year's Local Deer Follies

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

This Year's Local Deer Follies

Post by Pete44ru »

My Son called me this AM, about his yesterday afternoon/evening's muzzleloading deer hunting adventures (locally).

Using his vacation days up, but with his friends having to work, he went deer hunting by himself in a nearby assigned (lottery) "special permit" area (his permit allows one unpermitted partner to hunt with him).

Late in the afternoon, a buck & two does meandered near his treestand - so he shot the buck, which scampered away slowly.

The two does, however, (not knowing where the shot came from) loitered long enough for him to reload his .50cal T/C Encore - so he then shot the largest of the two does (He buys my state's Sportsman deer tag package of 8 tags), which also meandered away (the last doe just took off @ the shot).

He reloaded yet again, and since his hunting partner was due @ the hunt area right after his work day, he just sat there while mentally marking where the two deer were standing when he shot them (for tracking later).

After about 5 mins of sitting quietly in his stand, a buck that looked like the one he had just shot came towards him, but at a slightly different angle - so he shot it (again ?). The deer also ran off after the shot.

When his partner arrived shortly afterwards (they text each other ILO making noise talking), they both proceeded to mark the various spots & track the 1st buck.

They shortly spotted one of the deer with their optics, laying down about 100yds away, with a blood smear on the visible side - Sooooo,as per their bowhunting practices (and since it was getting on to dark), they decided to back out of the area quietly and return today to track the deer down.

The upshot, today, is that he got either one deer, two deer, three deer - or none........... but he won't know until later today which. (to be continued ;) )

EDIT (5pm): My son & his partner recovered all the deer he shot, 2 of which turned out to be look-alike bucks (brothers ?)
This past afternoon was spent skinning, etc - B 4 putting the meat into refrigeration for a few days, prior to processing.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Re: This Year's Local Deer Follies

Post by mikld »

Awww! :cry: "...to be continued...". Doncha jes hate that? :lol:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Good news ! !

My son & his partner recovered all the deer he shot, 2 of which turned out to be look-alike bucks (brothers ?)
This past afternoon was spent skinning, etc - B 4 putting the meat into refrigeration for a few days, prior to processing.[/b]

EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

If I leave deer overnight in CT I have a good chance of finding hair and a backbone the last few years. Glad it worked out for him. I once shot a big buck with my muzzleloader and out of the smoke a big buck ran by me and stopped 50 yards away I tried to reload quiet and fast and just has I capped the rifle he stepped into a thick swamp. It turned out to be the big 10 I got, twin brother. He had dropped 25 yards away from where he was shot.
Last edited by EdinCT on Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Next time...

Same Bat time, same Bat Channel. :lol:
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Congrats to him. Here in penn's woods, we have to get the first deer out of the woods before you shoot another.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot