OT - Garage Storage

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

OT - Garage Storage

Post by cnjarvis »

I could use a little help here...

I'll be moving into my fiancee's house after the wedding and I need some ideas for garage storage for my woodworking and reloading tools & materials. I need closed cabinets, preferrably with adjustable shelves. Everything I've found so far is either more expensive than I care for or too flimsy.

Any ideas guys?
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Ummmm. Hate to sound snarky but....

YOu have woodworking equipment and need storage shelves to store woodworking equipment.

Sounds like all you are missing is some Wood, Wood screws and a couple of weekends...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Check your local listing on craigslist.org
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I once fixed up a garage with a complete set of metal kitchen cabinets I obtained from a contractor who was overhauling a kitchen. Worked great. Hard to find the old metal ones now, but might not be too hard to find some wooden ones. Ask around.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I have to agree with Old Ironsights - build your own.

I did - used 3/4" plywood all the way around - used holes and shelf pegs (or whatever they're called) to allow for adjustment.

Here's a pic of mine in my shop:

I'd recommend enclosing your shop area and adding a small airconditioner with a thermostat - I live in Texas and it's a necessity but it's also a great way to regulate the humidity and prevent rust.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

Ummmm, you could sent everything to me postage due. I have plenty of storage space :lol: :lol: :lol:
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

O.S.O.K. wrote:I have to agree with Old Ironsights - build your own.

I did - used 3/4" plywood all the way around - used holes and shelf pegs (or whatever they're called) to allow for adjustment.

Here's a pic of mine in my shop:

I'd recommend enclosing your shop area and adding a small airconditioner with a thermostat - I live in Texas and it's a necessity but it's also a great way to regulate the humidity and prevent rust.
Good looking shop sir!
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

O.S.O.K - That's similar to what I was planning to do but time is a serious consideration. I have to do a few things to get MY home ready for market.

O.I. - I will be building a SHOP when time and finances allow. Even so, I usually build what I need, not just for simple enjoyment.
gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gon2shoot »

Check at Atwoods, they have had modular units from time to time.
grit yer teeth an pull the trigger
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

well then, I suggest getting some of the big poly containers at walmart and storing your stuff until you can get your shop in order... unless it's likely to be some time....

And thanks for the compliments :)

Gotta have a man room ;)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
BruceB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BruceB »

GOD SAVE THE UNITED STATES!

Original member of Leverguns.com forum

NRA Life Member

Boy, what a mess them .45's make.

When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

You going to be reloading out in the garage too, or just storing stuff?

I agree with the others - you'll be able to build stuff to customer fit the space in the garage and your needs - you probably won't be able to find it.
dsmith512
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dsmith512 »

Since time and money are a factor you might consider a couple of these workbench or work stations. They have a bench for tools with drawers and cabinets for storage.

Look here:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... umber=6843

and here:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=42606
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I used cheap 'garage' cabinets from Lowe's but raised the top as follows to create a better work surface at a better height.

I cut 1/2" plywood to the size of the cabinet tops, then made a frame of 2x6's with one running along the back wall, and ones spaced 12" coming forward. The front edge is cut on a bevel so the tops of the 2x6's are a couple inches longer than the bottom edges, which end flush with the cabinet. Then 3/4" plywood for the top. On the front edge, where I may clamp things, or where I'd bolt a press, I 'inletted' (cut out notches in the short 2x6's) another 2x6 laid flat so the front edge is even with the top plywood, for a very sturdy edge (2-1/4"). The edge is out about 2" from the front of the cabinets, making it easy to scoot up a stool, or to get clamps on and off.

The other benefit is that above the cabinets and drawers, I have a series of 10-1/2" wide storage pockets for frequently used tools - hammers, short saws, drills, etc., all right under the workbench top and handy.

I can post pics later if you want. Anyway, it was cheap, quick to build, and has served very well for its intended purpose. Not fancy, but neither am I.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

I know that a lot of times the prebuilt is much less than buying lumber .Flea markets. Junk stores, Drive through the neighborhood and just see what folks throw away. You never know!...................

Mutt
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

Try contacting your County General Services office.
They may have a warehouse full of used cabinets, shelving, computers, etc, for cheap or free. My Santa Cruz County has a sale day once a month; but you need to get there early, just like a yard sale, for the best stuff sometimes! Those government executives always want new stuff when they move into a different office or department, ya know. So get back some of the stuff that was paid for with your tax dollars!
Ray
otteray
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

The bosslady has issued an edict that I get these at Lowe's:

They're nice :) but I'm going to wind up parting with some serious cash. :cry:

Thanks for the link to Harbor Freight, I may be getting a workbench there.

I'll take a pic of the setup when I get it finished.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Years ago I was able to get several military clothing lockers at a base surplus auction. They're about 6'h x 3'w x 2'd. I added shelves to suit. They had nice locking latch door handles. I like to keep my reloading gear under lock and key. I would hate for kids to get into the powder or primers that could cause an accident.
Todays Eugene, Or. paper has a story about a guy losing his legs yesterday in an explosion of ammo in his home. No details about what caused it yet.