Winchesters used on US Fleet Class Subs

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Winchesters used on US Fleet Class Subs

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings
There is a Cary Grant Movie "Destination Tokyo" That shows a landing party carrying Winchesters as their long guns. Ranchdog was able to discover that Winchesters were part of the weapons inventory on US Fleet Class Subs. The question is are they model 1892's or 1894's and what caliber ? Going to continue to try to find out. Any help will speed up results.
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchesters used on US Fleet Class Subs

Post by Rusty »

For some reason '92s in .44-40 seem to ring a bell.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

The one in the movie looked to be a 94, but, I saw it a long time ago :wink:
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

My FIL said they had Winchester 30-30s on the icebreaker he was on during WWII but I don't remember the name of the ship. He was a machinist and had to make replacement parts occasionally for them.
Well done is better than well said.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

The Royal Navy had '92s in .44-40 during WW1 for a time, used for landing and boarding parties, etc. The Brit sailors much preferred their Lee-Enfields, but they filled a need.

Never heard of US subs carrying them, I would guess they'd likely be '94s as they would prefer the longer range. Most subs (and other ships) have shotguns and pistols for close-in work, watchstanders when they are surfaced from what I know, generally go with rifles (these days, M16's, but up till even a few years ago M14s were still widespread as they don't get around to replacing them as quick in the Navy.....I know a gunner's mate who was still using an M14 on watch in 2006 or 2007.)