Gun Shop Hanyak

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Gun Shop Hanyak

Post by octagon »

A while back I saw a new gun shop starting up, about 20 miles out a rural road. It was in a very large metal building, and I figured to stop in and scope it out sometime. It happened that I was going to town with the Wife and I pulled in before She had a chance to object, telling Her I'd be back out in ten minutes...

As I went in I saw a great deal of empty space, and about 40 or so black guns on a rack behind the counter, surrounding a single, lonely levergun. Being in the market for a .357 or .44 in a lever, I asked the young fella (about 30) what caliber the lever was chambered for. He asked did I want to see it, and I said no, what was the caliber. He pulled down the lever from the rack, stepped up to the counter, and pointing it directly at my chest, opened and closed the action briskly. I put my index finger on the side of the barrel and moved the offending muzzle away form my chest. Looking over at the older gentleman behind the counter who witnessed this, he had the bridge of his nose pinched between his thumb and finger slowly shaking his head, as I quickly retreated to the exit.

The Wife asked me how was the shop, and I told her it was not really my kind of place. It closed down after only 8-10 months :? A real shame. Later, when I thought about that young fella, the word that came to mind was Hanyak.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Gun Shop Hanyak

Post by Blaine »

I've had to remind staff, and store customers not to point at me.... :roll: At Cabela's in Lacey, a clerk was showing a used rifle to a customer and dry fired it with the muzzle pointed at me. I snatched it from his hands and we had a lively discussion.

Just curious: I've never heard the term Hanyak used that way.. I know it means Korean Medicine....What else?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

My Dad, a German, used this term and had a nice quarter horse named Hanyak. I would say it is loosely defined as a dummy, unaware of the effects of his actions on others.
Last edited by octagon on Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I remember as a youth my father referred to ignorant or less desirable types as "hon-yockers". No doubt just a variation of the term with the same meaning. :)

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The meaning of Hanyak I was taught as a kid is not fit to be repeated in polite company. :?
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:The meaning of Hanyak I was taught as a kid is not fit to be repeated in polite company. :?
who says that we're "polite company"... :)
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

If that gun shop idiot had swept me with a muzzle I for sure would NOT have been polite! :evil:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions wrote:honyock (ˈhɑnjɑk) - "n. someone, usually a male, who acts like a peasant; a crude or unsophisticated person; a rustic oaf. (Also a rude or playful term of address.) Steve seems like such a honyock until you get to know him."

McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Thanks for the definition, Doc.
My dad used the term also, but thankfully not when speaking of me!
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Pop called me a honyock from time to time as well. Years since I had that term.
Octagon, glad you got out of that shop alive!
natedontgo
Levergunner 1.0

Post by natedontgo »

According to my maternal granddad, about 75% of the people in that area born after 1900 were most likely to be either honyocks or bohunkers. I'm not at all sure how he distinguished one from the other..!! Nate
SargeMarlin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by SargeMarlin »

The term honyocker was the one that I was called by the old Germans that lived in the town I grew up in. There was a lot of information and history that I should have paid a lot more attention to as a child, but I was too busy being a kid. Opportunities lost.

Reading this post made me wander back to those simpler days. Ted Slimigan would mow the neighbor lady's grass and the leaves that fell in the fall and haul them off in his Ranchero. My buddies and I would wait until he was mowing the other direction, run into an area he had already mowed and toss an armful of leaves out. That was the first time I realized that you could put curse words in front of honyocker and it became not such a pleasant term.

For the record, Dad found out and I raked for Ted for two weeks out of the kindness of my heart.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm a little slow on the uptake, but now I remember my Grandfather saying it once. He wouldn't explain what it meant when I asked. :lol:
In the movie "Chicago" the other women called the Hungarian Ballet Dancer "The Honyak" and I never knew why until now....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

1892 wrote:
Chuck 100 yd wrote:The meaning of Hanyak I was taught as a kid is not fit to be repeated in polite company. :?
who says that we're "polite company"... :)
Forum rules

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

:D
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Dads quarter horse (Hanyak) would only be ridden by him, no one else could even get close to him. This horse once kicked dad square in the center of the chest and put him in the hospital over night. Only days work I ever saw him miss. Fifteen years later I walked in on him shaving one morning, and he still a had a red horshoe tattooed on his chest. He was plenty tough and it took a third heart attack to get him. He was a first rate huntin buddy and we were big time pals.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Never heard the term before also. Wasn't lookin' to learn anything new today... and look at this... it found me!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!