325 grain hornady 45/70 factory loads , TO Hot or NOT

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ozygreg
Levergunner

325 grain hornady 45/70 factory loads , TO Hot or NOT

Post by ozygreg »

ozygreg . i will have my 45/70 lymans sharpes 7th nov 15 . i have been given a box of 325 grian honady levelevaluton . ammo
i have reed the lymans book on the 45/70 pressure up to 29007psi . but i cannot find what the factory ammo is .
i do not know if it will be ok /. i do not know if the factory pressure will be to hot . or not .
do,s anybody know . as this is my first 45/70 ozygreg Australia
i have emailed hornady and lymans teck and waiting for a reply . will post when yhey arive ,

From: Hornady Manufacturing, Inc [mailto:webmaster@hornady.com]
Sent: Sunday, October 25, 2015 11:58 PM
To: tech
Subject: "Technical Inquiries" Contact from greg walters 325 gr honady 45/70

Mr. Walters this round is only loaded to the 25,000 psi. range. This round is going to be safe in your rifle and even the trap door rifles. Thanks
Last edited by ozygreg on Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Re: 325 grain hornady 45/70 factory loads , TO Hot or NOT

Post by flatnose »

G'day Greg,
Drop Hornady a line on that one. I don't know, so I would not use it. At 2000 fps for that ammo I would also like to know what the pressure is.
Your barrel has an 18'' twist, and you maybe better off with a heavier bullet and lower velocity.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

My double rifle has a max pressure limit of 28000 psi and it was factory regulated with Hornady Leverevolution 325 gr FTX rounds.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

It would be interesting to see what Hornady says about it. I have shot these thru my Marlin 1895 no problem at all. but they do get Your attention shooting off the bench.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

As massive and heavy as they seem, the Sharps is not an extremely strong design. Nothing like the Ruger #1 or the Winchester high wall,even when made of modern steel. I would definatly keep the pressures below the Lyman's suggested level. Stay safe my friend.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

AFAIK, every American ammo manufacturer stays within SAAMI MAP cartridge limitation guidelines, as to the suitability for each type of ammo manufactured, and their US Dept of Transportation compliant ammo containers must be marked as to the brands/limitations for which the ammo is unsuitable - as in: "+P", "+P+", "not suitable for trapdoor's", "Ruger only", "1100 fps", etc, etc.

"Proof" ammunition is supplied only to firearms manufacturers, etc.

IIRC, SAAMI maintains a list of specific firearms/designs, along with each one's suitability/unsuitability.

Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

When I had my pressure testing instruments, I tested about everything that was available at the time. The LR ammo is definitely not +P or even +p (little p). It is at the upper end of standard but still "standard" pressure. If it causes any rifle problems, then the rifle was of questionable construction to begin with....and I don't consider the topic rifle to be of questionable construction.