bought a colt (got some news today)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

bought a colt (got some news today)

Post by plowboy 45 »

Drove down to N.O. to pickup leather and supplies today, after an hour or so of shopping, my mother wanted seafood, got that done and headed home, got on I 10 and she says turn around and lets go back, I saw a gun outlet just pass the leather store, ahhh I don't want to but when mama says something you'd better do it, so we backtracked 8 or so miles till we arrived, of all things she wanted to look at a Taurus 45/410 revolver, can't remember what their called, but they didn't have one, right when I opened the door I saw it way in the back corner glass cabinet
COLT 1877 LIGHTING, stepped on over there, it was priced at 500.00, after I got control of myself I ask to look at it, on the back side of the tag it had 500.00 needs work, looked it over awhile, asked what's wrong with it they didn't know, so I offered 350.00 and he took it plus tax.
Now being from MS. I couldn't buy it, had to have it sent to my local ps at the cost of 35.00 then 20.00 transfer fee.
So I end up with 405.00 in it as there was no tax
Bluing is not there, sn match and all seems to work, they got it in an estate sale and just wanted to move it along
Hoping there's nothing wrong with it, if there is guess I'll fix it or hang it on the wall
Took some cell phone pictures
Tell me if I messed up on this or not

PLOWBOY
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by plowboy 45 on Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: bought a colt

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

There are not a lot of them around. What caliber? A friend has a Nickle plated one in 32-20. It belonged to his uncle who was the Sherriff of Spokane WA.
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

38 long colt, I thought that was the only choice for the lighting
32 was called a rainmaker I think
41 was a thunder
I don't know a lot about colts
But have wanted one of these for awhile now
I really don't think they were a topshelf pistol, as for as the mechanism
Just really don't know kinda depending on all y'all on this one
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

:mrgreen: :!:
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

From what I have read, the names were not official but were nicknames for the same gun in different calibers ,.32 , .38 or .41 all being the same gun? In my 69 years, I have only seen a handful of real ones. I have read that they were fairly weak internally and easily broken. It looks like you got a nice one.
Member Sixgun would be able to cast some light on the subject if he were around.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

If it works its a good buy. They did have a reputation for a delicate action plus next to nobody knows how to work on them. Here is one I owned many years ago. They were known as 1877 Double actions and your right the .32 was known as the Rainmaker and the rarest. .38 colt is the Lighting and the .41 was the Thunderer. The short barrel like mine had no ejector.

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Good snag - IIRC, some of the parts from the SAA were used in 1877 production, so I would WAG that if a fix is in order, it shouldn't be very difficult to do so.

Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Your close but slightly wrong. It was the larger frame, the DA 1878 Army that used some of the single action parts. Here is one I had in .45 colt.

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Congratulations! I'd say you done good.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

Nice looking pistol plowboy 45.Think Ya done good! There are folks out there that fix them. If you Google repair 1877 Colt you can fid some info on it. Hope to hear Ya got her shooting soon.,,,,,DT
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

It's hard to find nice working examples. The few I've actually had in my hands all had timing issues.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Booger Bill wrote:
Your close but slightly wrong. It was the larger frame, the DA 1878 Army that used some of the single action parts.
Thanks, Bill ! . :)

M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I've had 4 or 5 pass through my hands over the years. Never liked one enough to keep it. Had a 41 in nickel with pearl grips that had one broken grip. A friend comes by my table at a gun show and says, "I've got one pearl grip like that but I don't remember which side." He brought it to me later and it was the one I needed. Probably used up 10 years of my luck on that one.
I like the looks of your new aquisition and believe you got a real deal especially if it works.
Last edited by M. M. Wright on Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

That is a fine looking shooting iron, working or not, I like that one!
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Called them Friday, it was being picked up as we spoke, maybe it'll be here Monday or Tuesday
Hope this baby has no major issues, been reading a bit about them, and the odds are not in my favor
If it's fouled up to bad my grandson will have the coolest pistol in the cowboy and Indian game :D
I did pull the cylinder out while I was there, everything freed up, it cocked, rotated, uncocked, dry fired and seemed to do fine, but it might need more on futher inspection

Also got the 38 55 dies in yesterday, maybe I can get to loading some of those

Thanks for the comments fellers

PLOWBOY
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I am guessing the gun is good to go. You would have spotted something drastic if it was there in your inspection.
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Yes, I was there when I bought it, it was locked up, the man said it needed soaking in transmission fluid for a month or so, but after holdin it and lookin it over, I noticed it wasn't nasty, gummy, greasy or anything like that
So I know it may have been foolish but we talked bout it and I made the offer, then after I'd paid for it I took the cylinder out, and it cocked then replacing the cylinder it seemed to work fine, but I don't know bout the timing or stuff like cartridge alignment, it might not have been lining the cartridge up with the barrel, I just didn't look for whatever reason
This is the only thing that has excited me in a while, and it's this forums fault :lol:
I may have made a mistake buying it, but I don't think so right this moment
It's all there numbers match and all that kinda stuff
They seemed honest bout it, said they had got it in an estate deal, there was another colt and some kind of Russian pistol, they bought the estate for a load and I mean a big load of AR 15 rifles
But anyway I'll know maybe tomorrow

Thanks
PLOWBOY
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Lucky find. I've never seen a Lightning outside a museum, and i've seen some pretty wild and weird stuff for sale.
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Just make sure if the "needs work" means you need a gunsmith, make sure you find someone that SPECIALIZES in Lightnings.

A Normal EXCELLENT gunsmith can't help you, Lightnings are a w... to fix.

I probably have a name I can dig up if you need it.

I will never in my life ever again touch a lightning.
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Well dern it, it didn't get here today

Oh, them dog gone pushers are after me, offered me a ubertie copy of a Henry in 45LC for 800.00
Can anyone tell me is that a fair deal, thanks in advance
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Well it got here today, and it's got problems, the trigger will not return without a little help, and the finger that locks the cylinder seems to be on the same mechanism, anyway I'll try to post a few pics tomorrow
Guess no one could answer on the uberte 1860 question

PLOWBOY
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

Hey Plowbow 45, a bunch of my pards have the Uberti Henry fifles and like them . Is this one you ask about a steel frame or the brass frame? Does it have the sling loops ( military model) civilian model does not have the sling loops. If the rifle is in Good shooting condition ,It is well worth the asking price. I see most go for 1.000 and up. Looks like its time to learn a bit about fixing an 1877 Colt, leaste thats what I would do. Like they say ( If a man made it A man can fix it ) ,,,,DT
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Thanks DT, its brass receiver civilian model

Yelp, you can bet I'm fixin to learn something bout the lighting
Think im goin to order a spring kit, and go to work

Thanks

PLOWBOY
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Hang in there you'll get it.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

plowboy 45 wrote:Thanks DT, its brass receiver civilian model

Yelp, you can bet I'm fixin to learn something bout the lighting
Think im goin to order a spring kit, and go to work

Thanks

PLOWBOY
STRONG WARNING: I have a complete machine shop and I make parts and fix antique firearms all the time, it you think your going to fix a lighting on your own, your mistaken, or I would say you are very very lucky but I've not known anyone to be lucky with a Lightning.
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Dang David, you've got me spooked
But I don't know what else to do, if I understand correctly, no gunsmith wants to work on them
I would think the ones that would, would be very expensive, and then there's no guarantees
So that leaves me only one option, I thought I'd study the schematic for a spell before I do anything
It's not much good to me now anyway, and I understand there not very good when they work
But I sure do like the way they look, all info or help is appreciated

Thanks

PLOWBOY
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

I'm not sure you can't find someone that's not that expensive, let me reach out and see if anyone can recommend someone.
I will NEVER touch a lightning again...

Got a recommendation, don't post contact information like that I'll PM.
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Thanks
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I see you said "Guess no one could answer the Uberti 1860 question. Never seen the question to what your referring to. However I do own this Uberti made Thunderer for Cimmeron arms. Mine has both the colt 45 and 45 acp cylinders. Just a version of their single action with the copied lighting or thunderer grip frame. It does feel good in the hand. The barrel is short, never measured it but it just is long enough to let the shortened ejector start the fired cases out.

plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

That's a good lookin pistol Bill I was talkin bout 1860 clone
But I decided to pass on it, another will come along, this lighting has got my full attention for now, I know there not much count, but dern I like the way they look, maybe I should just hunt down a baby vaquero and forget the lighting

More comments anyone, any tricks would be appreciated

Thanks

PLOWBOY
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Have you tried Gerry Stoudemire? (See my post above) He's supposed to be the LIGHTNING/THUNDERER Guru.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I have seen several colt saa`s (pictures) of relatively later mfg with a "Parrot bill" type looking grip, doesn't have the lighting looking hump on top like the thunder I showed.
I did see one at a gun show about 30 years ago that was the exact same configuration as the Uberti showed above. Supposedly it was a Colt mfg from the custom shop. It was nickle with fire blued screws and Ivory grips. I believe there is a Uberti mfg copy for one of the repo marketers out there but with fax ivory.
The Colt I seen was the finest looking single action I thought ever. The repo one is called the "Doc Holiday". I once found a shorten crysty barrel and ejector in .44 and had it put on a old colt I own. I didn't like it as the ejector was too short to do the job and changed it back.

plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Thanks mm I forgot to put that number on my list
This is goin to be an adventure
One so far I haven't minded
Hope that doesn't change

Thanks for all the info

Plowboy
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Called Gary and got a recording
Maybe it's still his number
I left a message
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Alright, I've struck out so far
David or anyone, what is the deal, when it comes apart is ther something in particular that don't wanta go back, is it goin to fall apart in a manner I won't see how to put it back together, not bein a wise azzz just tryin to make a plan, cause it lookin like it's gonna be me doin this
Not goin to act to hastily
Been lookin at everything I can find on them
And yes it kinda makes gunsmiths ill when you say colt lighting :lol: it ain't funny I know, but I did rebuild a B model caterpillar injector pump onetime

Thanks for any help or comments

PLOWBOY
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Nothing will jump out, there's just some magic in there to get it exactly right to work that I don't know.
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Ok thanks
I emailed the company you gave me the address to
Ted mailed a number back, gonna try David I believe is his name tomorrow
David I sure do appreciated your help

Thanks
PLOWBOY
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

The email address you gave me David, was a feller that repairs old Colt SA
It's his brother Sal who repairs the lighting and thunder, he's in Ohio, gonna FedEx it to him, then in November I'm goin to Michigan, maybe if he's done we're gonna swing by his place and pick it up
Explained what it's doing, he diagnosed it at about 250.00
He told me a whole lot about them, mostly what not to do, like trying to shoot double action real fast
Any, thanks a lot

PLOWBOY
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Even with the repair I think you did good, haven't seen a working lighting with matching numbers etc for under a $1,000, I admit however I look a lot more at Remingtons.

What state do you live in?
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I do believe that in PlowBoy's info right above your last post it says something about MISSISSIPPI !!!!!!!!!!
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

I read where he can makeum look new again, hummmmmmmmmm I say
When he reports the damage back to me and seein how he's suppose to make it shoot good, if his rebluin and finish aint way out there, redone real perty with some of this ivory I got stashed, I think would look real good
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

plowboy 45 wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

Opps....

I'm old school antique collector unless the condition is very poor I would never refinished manufactured before 1899.

I didn't see the serial listed if it's under 110K your probably lowering the value of the firearm significantly by refinishing it.
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

It was made in 1903, I looked at one today at the gun show in laurel, same LOOKIN condition as mine, perty much no finish left for 980.00, I did notice he had the hammer zipped down and the trigger was all the way back and zipped down, i suspect it had bout the same problems as mine
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Well the ol gal is on her way to Ohio
Should be there in the morning
Sal said he'd have her tuned up and ready to go in about 6 weeks
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Well, it got there
Suppose to know the damage next week
Hope she'll be ok
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Reckon the man will take good care of your Colt.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Re: bought a colt (got some news today)

Post by plowboy 45 »

The feller workin on the lighting call today, good news I think, locking arm was bent and trigger spring broken
Week, week and a half it should be ready, got by at 220.00 fixed, insurance and shipping back

PLOWBOY
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Well... asking price was $500 for a broken gun. You will (hopefully) only have about $600 into a working antique.

That's a win in my book.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Things are lookin' up for you - Good !