Looked at a nice LEVER GUN today.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Looked at a nice LEVER GUN today.

Post by JerryB »

Went up on Brock Mountain today to see my gunsmith. I took my grandson's Ruger NM Blackhawk .45 dual cylinder 4 and something inch barrel. The loading gate detent spring comes loose when it is fired so after a call to Ruger the package came today but it was the wrong spring. Anyway I looked at LEVERGUN GUN in the used rack. It was an 1873 .357 for $575 but I didn't see what the maker was.
Called Ruger and they said they will send the right spring this time. the '73 seems a lot heavier than my Rossi '92 .357.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Looked at a nice LEVER GUN today.

Post by Lassiter »

Wish I had $575............jes sayin"
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Lassiter, drive over this weekend and I'll take you up there.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Lassiter »

Alas, I'm $570 short.......if it was rainin' soup, I'ld be standin' outside with a fork
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Yes, the 73's are a bit heavier than the 92's. I still like them quite a lot.

The 76's are real tanks compared to the 92's.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:mrgreen: Great LEVERGUN post... :lol:

The new 1873 is a pound lighter than the Henry .357 (and I like the heck out of the Henry :mrgreen: :mrgreen: )
Someday....that will be it....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Malamute wrote:Yes, the 73's are a bit heavier than the 92's. I still like them quite a lot.

The 76's are real tanks compared to the 92's.
I don't have any equivalent models for comparison; while I have a short rifle in both a '92 & '73, one's a bull full octagon and the other's a ½round/½octagon. But forgoing wood, I'd have thought the '92s would be the slightly heavier action. It just seems that there is much more metal in that short action... the only weighty piece in a '73 is the carrier block. And in looking at some specs, Taylor's lists their 45Colt 20" barreled Chiappa mfg'd 1892 carbine in @ 6.2 lbs. The Uberti mfg'd 19" barreled 45Colt carbine is listed @ 7.48 lbs. 1-¼ lbs difference! Who'd a thunk it! Tho'... they list the same weight for each in .357... so I'd take that as an actual weight with a grain of salt. Wood also plays an important part in the weight of any finished gun, but both being Italian guns, I'd think they'd be using the same type... Interesting, I don't think I'd ever compared the weight of these two models.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I was all hot for a Henry Big Boy .357 until my buddy bought one, and it was a real brick. 8lb-ish...felt like a club... :(
That new Winchester 1873 short rifle in .357 is looking better, and better......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

Don't care about the '73, but I'm always interested in a good gunsmith. Is he there in batesville?
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Warhawk, my friend the gunsmith lives on Brock Mountain about a mile off highway 25. I have known him for a long time, he is a good Christian family man. His name is Dloyd Sparks 870-251-2118. Let me know when you decide to come up and I'll go up with you. He lives west of Batesville about 5 miles past the race track at Locust Grove on 25.
Last edited by JerryB on Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

The very NERVE of you guys, posting and talking about lever guns on this board. :lol:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

jnyork wrote:The very NERVE of you guys, posting and talking about lever guns on this board. :lol:
Yeah, well... you know how it is... when there's nothing else to talk about... :P :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Griff wrote:
jnyork wrote:The very NERVE of you guys, posting and talking about lever guns on this board. :lol:
Yeah, well... you know how it is... when there's nothing else to talk about... :P :P
:lol: :lol: :lol: