For those whose internet connection sucks...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

For those whose internet connection sucks...

Post by AJMD429 »

We couldn't get cable or DSL due to none nearby.

We couldn't get satellite to function reliably even though we completely redid the system twice.

We couldn't use cellular because our signal was so poor we couldn't even use voice at all, and texting even a short message was iffy unless we stood out in the driveway.

The I installed a directional yagi antenna and booster amplifier......and phone reception is so good now I can watch internet on my cellphone, so installed a hotspot and get fast reliable internet rain or shine... 8)
connect_4g-x_group.jpg
http://www.wilsonsignalbooster.com/webo ... r-kit.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: For those whose internet connection sucks...

Post by Grizz »

thanks for the link. I think that will work in Alaska for us. How far from the tower are you?
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Nice. Glad you got something figured out.
NRA Life Member
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Grizz wrote:thanks for the link. I think that will work in Alaska for us. How far from the tower are you?
We were only eight miles or so from a Verizon one and that wouldn't carry over the hill in between us, but we are only three miles from an AT&T one, with better line-of-sight. Even with AT&T though, we could barely use the phone for text and talk until getting the booster.

Wilson Amplifiers has good customer support and I asked them lots of dumb questions before and after the sale. They guided me to the appropriate product.

I put metal roof flashing under the siding then replaced the siding, where I mounted the antenna, to prevent feedback from the internal transmitter (our house is small but we got the 'up to 5000 sq ft' version due to more dB of amplification, and the indoor transmitter/antenna needs to be 50 ft from the outdoor one and we didn't have quite that much available).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

I need to do this. We don't get reception at our new place, not enough to use the phone, anyway.

My wife's parents have very poor reception (where I am now) but cable internet. Cell phones can't be used inside the house and reception is still poor outside, sos they called AT&T, and AT&T installed a deal that works over the cable to get them out. BUt they will not allow anyone but the two people who live in the house to have access, so I still can't talk on the phone here, and even my wife's grandparents, who live just a street over, and whose phones are on the same AT&T plan, can't use it.
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Maybe I just don't knows enough about this stuff, but Hughes net has worked perfect for my wife and me for several years now, and we're way out in the woods
Maybe we're lucky
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Told ya that the Wilson was the way to go... :mrgreen:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Thanks Doc, I'll be looking into the Wilson. I'm tired of standing on the porch when it's zero just to talk on the phone.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Good you found a solution. Are you line of sight to the tower?

I would love to cut the cable ($90 a month) but I'm not line of sight to any cell tower I know of.

Cat
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

at that frequency the signal will refract (bend down) going over a mountain or ridgeline. it's worth a try if you don't have to buy the thing to try it.

where I lived in Alaska I could get a cell connection while drifting at the base of Miner Mountain. roughly a 20 mile trip. straight over the mountain top. the directional antenna will magnify the effect.

it's an anomaly of that range of frequencies. lower frequencies do it off of the ionosphere. radio propagation stuff.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Grizz wrote:. lower frequencies do it off of the ionosphere. radio propagation stuff.
Here, here....no fancy cuss words. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

firefuzz wrote:
Grizz wrote:. lower frequencies do it off of the ionosphere. radio propagation stuff.
Here, here....no fancy cuss words. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rob
:lol: :D
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Do you think one of those would pull in a Comcast Hotspot if it was not quite in range?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV