Thoughts on Downloading 7mm Rem Mag

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Thoughts on Downloading 7mm Rem Mag

Post by BrianSH »

I took me a couple of decades to figure out, but I've come to the idea of downloading my 7mmRM to 7 Mauser levels. I mostly pistol hunt these days, but when I do use a rifle, it's nothing that a 7 Mauser won't finalize.

When I shoot my 4" 629, its loaded with a 44 Special load, unless I'm tuning me up for a pistol hunt. And my 357's are loaded to 38 power levels, because a piece of paper doesn't care what punches it. Besides, what I throw in my 357 is the same measure of powder that goes into my 45ACP and I don't have to change the powder thrower. Easier on my hands too, recoil wise.

Anyways, it took the better part of 2 decades to apply this thought to my rifle. Has anyone else figured this out too? - Brian
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Thoughts on Downloading 7mm Rem Mag

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

There is lots of reduced power data out there. The 7mm mag. should do well at reduced speed or even with cast bullets at much slower speed.
One to try is Trail Boss pistol powder. According to Hodgdon you can load a case full up to the base of the bullet (without compression) safely to get soft loads.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

My thought: A detonation (aka: hand grenade) can occur when loading reduced/light loads in belted magnum cases, unless precautions are taken.

Here's a webpage that discusses the issue: http://www.reloadammo.com/liteload.htm

ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

I understand your thoughts real well, have done it for bout 30 years, from 375 H&H down to 222
with cast or jacketed bullets, even a 7 mag. and scores of hand guns

ollogger
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My only thought on the matter is why carry around the extra weight of a 7mm Mag rifle, when a lighter rifle will do? A sporterized 93 Mauser might be in your future :idea: (Oh, for the days when you could buy them mail order, delivered to your door, for about 20 bucks apiece :mrgreen: )
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

BlaineG wrote:My only thought on the matter is why carry around the extra weight of a 7mm Mag rifle, when a lighter rifle will do? A sporterized 93 Mauser might be in your future :idea: (Oh, for the days when you could buy them mail order, delivered to your door, for about 20 bucks apiece :mrgreen: )
I appreciate the thoughts Blaine, but here's part of the rest of the story:

She was a mistake I made back in 1979. Used, unfired for $269. Previous owner saw what his hunting partner's 7 Mag did to a Florida swamp deer (greyhounds with antlers), and traded this one in for something more appropriate. Then I came along some months later with hope of getting orders to South Dakota.

We've had our ups and downs and rough patches, but everything she's hit hasn't left a 25' circle, (I'm a city boy, and can't track worth a darn. I want 'em DRT).

If I started over from scratch, I'd buy what I consider a beginners and masters rifle - 308. A new shooter can buy whichever load he required off the shelf. The experienced rifleman can hand load anything needed for the lower 48, gophers to grizz.

But sometimes, all alone, late at night, the contrarian in me whispers - Creedmore.

All I'm after is to go from 3000 fps to 2500, give or take. I'm very well stocked with bullets from the 1980's when I was looking for a bullet she'd be happy with. Too much time and logistics invested to trade off, and she's grown into a pretty good shooter after all this time (that and bedding the stock 4-5 times over the years ).

My 77, I'll think I'll keep her. - Brian