Homemade knife

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Homemade knife

Post by Daisyman »

Chuck 100 yd knife reminded me of one I made as a young man about 45 to 50 yrs ago. It sure doesn't look like Chucks, :cry: but I was sure proud of it back then. I got an industrial hacksaw blade from my uncle, a old belt from my dad, and I have no idea anymore where I got the brass, maybe from a tractor part. I have no idea how I got the slotted hole through the brass and aluminum, but the brass piece on the back was square or rectangle so I could drill a hole through it and countersink it. I either brazed or welded a bolt on the back end to hold it together. I ground, filed, sanded, and polished what seemed like forever with the most basic of tools, and finally got it done. My own hunting knife!!
It's been laying in a box for a long time, and needs prettied up.
Sorry for the long post.....just got to reminiscing and thought I'd share.

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Homemade knife

Post by fordwannabe »

In a box???? That should be hanging on your wall. You made it you used it and it taught you a lesson of being self reliant. YUP ON THE WALL. Nice job.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Nice job, you should have kept at it.

As a mater of fact, maybe you should pick up where you left off.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
PriseDeFer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PriseDeFer »

Looks fine as is. You shaped that clipped point just right for a nice and nasty blade.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

+1 to what they all said... 8)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Cool, A piece to keep,treasure and display. I wish I had my first. I made my first knife ( a bowie) in high school shop class and received a grade on it. I bet you would be expelled for that today. :(
Made from mild steel,it was just an art piece and not heat treated or highly polished.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I like it - an honest working tool !

bluesman423
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bluesman423 »

I love that knife!! Everything about it is so cool, especially that you made it from "scratch" and not a kit :)
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

bluesman423 wrote:I love that knife!! Everything about it is so cool, especially that you made it from "scratch" and not a kit :)
Yep, "re-purposed" materials are best!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

Thanks, guys. You know maybe I WILL put it in a more prominent place.
A clipped point ,huh, I didn't even know what you called it, it just looked right to me at the time. :lol:
And I may just try one again, but I don't think it will ever look like Chucks beautiful piece of work, though.
Thanks for the encouragement.

Irv
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Dude... THAT... is a work of art.

:wink:
:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

Daisyman wrote:Chuck 100 yd knife reminded me of one I made as a young man about 45 to 50 yrs ago. It sure doesn't look like Chucks, :cry: but I was sure proud of it back then. I got an industrial hacksaw blade from my uncle, a old belt from my dad, and I have no idea anymore where I got the brass, maybe from a tractor part. I have no idea how I got the slotted hole through the brass and aluminum, but the brass piece on the back was square or rectangle so I could drill a hole through it and countersink it. I either brazed or welded a bolt on the back end to hold it together. I ground, filed, sanded, and polished what seemed like forever with the most basic of tools, and finally got it done. My own hunting knife!!
It's been laying in a box for a long time, and needs prettied up.
Sorry for the long post.....just got to reminiscing and thought I'd share.

Please don't pretty it up - that will destroy all of its character! :!:
Merle from PA