Muzzle Brake on Win. 70 Feather Weight 300 Win Mag

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Muzzle Brake on Win. 70 Feather Weight 300 Win Mag

Post by daisygordoninc »

Because of the light weight characteristics of the Win. 70 featherweight and considerable recoil of
the 300 Win Mag, someone suggested a muzzle brake, anyone have experience with how much
that helps?
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Re: Muzzle Brake on Win. 70 Feather Weight 300 Win Mag

Post by Leverluver »

I had an "Answer system" brake installed on a Sako Finnbear in 338 Win Mag that had quie a bite to it. The brake was extremely effective in the recoli department. I'd say the recoil dropped to 243 to 257R levels after installation. The problem was that it was so blasted loud that I was never going to shoot in a no hearing protection hunting situation; plus my hearing was at that time already 50% gone (now 90%). Even for target work it required plugs under muffs and even then my ears rang from the concussion that went through my skull. They do work but you pay a price. FYI, I sold the rifle.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

It's a trade off. If you want to dampen the recoil you gotta add weight, which negates the featherweight, unless you use hearing prot ection, even in the field :roll: . Had a ported .44 mag handgun. Shot a deer with it and got rid of it.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

I have an A bolt .270 with a brake. I was shooting with a friend who had the same rifle without a brake, and both shooting core lokt 130s. The brake reduced the recoil by about 25 Percent, definately tamed it right down. That Browning is a shooter.
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

Type "rifle recoil reducer" in your search engine and you'll see a few. Butt plates mounted in shock absorbers to units that mounted in a drilled hole in the stock forearm or butt. They don't reduce recoil, they slow it down to a big push.
This from Marlinowners:
http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/45-70 ... ducer.html
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Just a suggestion :D
If you decide to get a brake: get one that you can remove and screw on a thread protector. Use the brake at the range to sight in, remove and put on protector when hunting.

I have found that when hunting I don't even notice the recoil, but notice the blast of the brake.

John
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Bronco wrote:Just a suggestion :D
If you decide to get a brake: get one that you can remove and screw on a thread protector. Use the brake at the range to sight in, remove and put on protector when hunting.

I have found that when hunting I don't even notice the recoil, but notice the blast of the brake.

John
+1
NRA Life Member