Some oldies

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Some oldies

Post by jnyork »

I have had this brick in my ammo locker for quiet some time , it's full, don't know how old it really is except that it is post-1964. Think I'll just keep it and not shoot it.

Wonder how many on this board have never heard of Montgomery Ward? :lol:

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Some oldies

Post by TedH »

Would be interesting to collectors for sure.
NRA Life Member
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Do ya remember how much it cost, back then - $8 ?

(sigh)

jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Pete44ru wrote:.

Do ya remember how much it cost, back then - $8 ?

(sigh)

No more than that, probably closer to 6.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Monkey Ward? Sure, ya betcha.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

When I was a young'n my mother would order from monkey wards, Aldens, Speigels, and Sears. our mail man drove a pickup truck. I ordered bridles, bits, spurs, saddle repair stuff from sears, picked it up in town and took it home on the school bus.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

That box looks a lot like some shotgun shell boxes my Dad bought from monkey wards back in the 70's. Don't remember when they closed the store by us but I do remember going there when I was a youngin.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

My dad bought me a Mossberg 500 from Montgomery Wards in 1967 for Christmas. Years later I bought myself a S&W M 63 from them.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I bought my first gun from monkey ward, a 20 gauge bolt action mossberg
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Mdl53
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Mdl53 »

My dad bought me my first gun from monkey wards, probably early 60's. A Mossberg 410 bolt action. Still have it. Probably hasn't been shot a dozen times and looks like it did the day it came out of the box.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I'd like to see the stamp on the brass
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

My everyday fishing combo (qualifier: I collect old outboards) is a '59 Lone Star Skipper 16' powered by a Monkee Wards Sea King 35. They sold tons of Gale built motors with the Sea King name over the years.

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Monkey Wards and Zaiyre Shopper's City was our trip every 2 weeks. They had had a lot of military surplus bolt rifles too. Aaaahh the gold old days with catalogs and Cheryl Tiegs!!
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I don't remember what they cost but I do remember bothering Dad until he bought a box of Shotgun shells at Montgomery Wards in Akron. I do remember buying bricks of CCI mini mags for 6.50 when I started shooting.
It is not the critic who counts
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Good morning
Yes Sir... walk to town and there was the "Monkey Wards" next to J.C. Murphy's and around the corner was an ice cream shop where a double dip was just 5 cents. What a fine afternoon that could be. My older sister worked at Murphy's and my "first bought" caliber .22 Savage came from there.
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

There ain't much in this town. Even less back then. But we had a Montgomery Ward catalogue store.

Only department store's we had was W.T. Grant and a Woolworth. I still have stuff with their price tags. :D

On second thought, we had more back then. We had choice. Now it's go to Wal Mart or go without.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

3leggedturtle wrote:Monkey Wards and Zaiyre Shopper's City was our trip every 2 weeks. They had had a lot of military surplus bolt rifles too. Aaaahh the gold old days with catalogs and Cheryl Tiegs!!
Gulfmart? Gibsons?
The gun shows in San Antonio are in the old Gulfmart building, and you can still read the lettering on their old shingle fading through the white overcoat.

I remember the first Academy in Austin was in an old warehouse at 45th on I-35 access (under the shade of the new upper level). It was nothing but Army surplus and uber-cheap imported fishing tackle then.
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

All my flannel shirts came from their catalog, and every other boy in school had the same shirts, just different patterns and colors, sometimes the same because our moms all got them from Monkey Wards catalogs.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

my first 10-speed came from Wards - it was too small for me
http://buckeyeslist.com/posts/56777

when that bike was pilfered from a bike rack at Vandy, I bought my Raleigh.
Wish I had my older Sears bikes, a Flightliner (which I never fit) and a Rail (which I outgrew)
SargeMarlin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by SargeMarlin »

I have a single box from monkey ward, but not the brick. That's plum cool.

I did end up with a brick of S&S shorts though, also nearly impossible to find. When I get back home I will take a photo.