Antique Advertisement Question.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Antique Advertisement Question.

Post by cshold »

What was the reason for the short range loads back in the day?
And any idea as to what was considered short range?
Seems the latter advertisements stopped offering them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Antique Advertisement Question.

Post by Griff »

Obviously a good question... as I don't know the answer... unlike some, I wasn't around then!!! Sixgun probably knows... :twisted: :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Lassiter »

Possibly for small game?
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Target practice in the basement or back-yard?

:?:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I would guess for quiet retort
my buddy loaded some starling loads in his .243 varmint rifle with 65g BTHP that went *pa* when you pulled the trigger and flattened a starling at 100 yds. The flock stayed on the ground, we dialed them out, and the hogs had a heyday eating them.
(the hogs knew the drill and raced to the corpses)
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I read somewhere long ago that the trappers of old would use them for close range cou-de-gra on still living trapped critters. Oh and I can't spell that word either.

Don't know if it's true or not, but that's what I read.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

here's the p and s you lost :mrgreen:
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Those rounds were initially made for short range target shooting.

From what I have read about the Creedmoor/Schuetzen Era, "short range" target shooting was at 200 and 300 yards. I believe that mid-rang was 500 and 600 yards, and 800, 900, and 1000 yards long range.

The earlier muzzle loading target matches measured were in rods -- 40 and 20 rods being very common. Memory tells me the most common distance was 40 rods.

The venerable Ol' Tried and True .45-70 had a wasp-shaped collar button specifically designed for very short range target/gallery/small game/varmint shooting. The bullet very large lube groove to hold a large amount of lubricant to control/soften the Black Powder fouling. Believe the bullet weighed about 180 grains.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Not sure about that "back in the day" in my "back in the day" which would have been the 1970's I was carrying a .41 Mag. Remington listed 2 loads, a 210 grain SJHP and a lead 210 grain SWC. The SWC load was sold as a mid range load. I carried the lead SWC load on duty in my M58. As I remember the advertised velocity of the mid range load was 1050 FPS while the standard load was 1400.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

All the reasons above are appropriate to justify low power loads. + 1
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I recall hearing that the 25-36 and 30-30 short range loads were loaded to give 25-20 and 32-20 performance in a rifle that could be loaded with high power shells for large game hunting. My Dad said the farms had a 22, one center fire deer rifle and a shotgun. And poor folks got by with a single barrel 12 ga for all.