Remington .22LR,...quality control?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Remington .22LR,...quality control?

Post by GoatGuy »

Went into town today to run some errands and found myself near the Cabela's store in Rogers late in the afternoon. Been on the lookout for a Remington 20 gauge choke tube wrench, as I've been on a 20 gauge buying jag over the past number of months. Might as well have been in a fabric store looking for a crescent wrench. Finally, finally found a Chinese made folding knife looking "universal" (fits 10 gauge to .410 gauge + elevation and windage scope adjustment turrets :roll: ) choke wrench. Crazy thing looked like it would work, so picked it up to pay for on my way out.

Went then to the ammo aisle and low and behold there in the .22 LR section was 200-250 50 round boxes of Remington Yellow Jacket hollow points, ...$6.47 per box! No other .22's. Haven't seen any of those Yellow Jackets in I couldn't tell you how long, ...didn't Know they were still being made. Out of nostalgia's sake I took a couple of boxes along with my "Rube Goldberg" Chinese choke tube wrench to the checkout counter and left to get back to the farm before dark.

Just awhile ago opened up one of the Yellow Jacket boxes out of curiosity. Yep, they look the same as the remnants of an old, old box I have with a couple of dozen shells left in it. Well, we've all heard of Remington firearms quality problems over the last few years. I'm here to tell ya' that's crept up into the .22 ammo making I guess. Every one of the 100 cartridges have loose bullets. They can be so easily twisted around and around, it's like they missed the crimping station in the manufacturing process.:lol: Oh well, I don't really need any more .22 ammo. These will be gifted to a friend of mine here who needs and can use them. Hope they work for him.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
1894c

Re: Remington .22LR,...quality control?

Post by 1894c »

nuts... :(
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I don't think they will be a problem. I seem to remember that a lot of 22 shells would do that but still shot fine.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I've shot lots of 'loose' ones and they seemed to work fine, but I was never an accuracy-freak with 22 LR's - just wanted them to go 'bang' and hit in the general vicinity of a feral dog's vital zone most of the time.

I have had several (way too many) FAILURES TO FIRE with Remington rimfires over the years, but no more lately than 20 years ago. When I have a choice I buy Federal or Winchester or CCI.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

never had luck with Remington RF in my Mossberg 351c semi-auto as a youngster - they jammed about 20% of the time - seriously, 1/5
CCI never jammed.

As far as .22LR accuracy goes, Wolf Match has been the best buy in the past (used to be $30/brick, but those days are gone)
Last edited by bdhold on Fri May 22, 2015 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I haven't purchased any Remington rimfire ammo in mebbe 18 years. Remington's rimfire ammo wouldn't even feed and fire consistently in a Remington rifle (all other ammo would). Couldn't get a full magazine through without a feeding jam or miss fire...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Friends don't let friends shoot Remington .22 ammo. :wink:
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

jnyork wrote:Friends don't let friends shoot Remington .22 ammo. :wink:
Aw, come on. Its good stuff. If you re-feed the 20% or so that misfire, they'll usually go off if the firing pin hits the rim in a different spot! :P
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Last Remington 22LR ammo I bought was a brick of Thunderbolts back in 2001. I had a failure to fire rate of 2 out of five rounds. I still have 9 boxes in that brick, what garbage. CCI, Winchester, and Federal ammo MUCH more reliable so they get all my business now.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Thunderbolts have always been junk. I cant believe they still make them.

I've seen scads of 22 shells that the bullets would spin. It didnt seem to be any particular brand.

I've shot tons of rem 22's over the years, easily hundreds of thousands of rounds. I havent had any more problems with them as anything else, and less than the Federal 22's I've shot. The vast majority was the better grade golden bullet loads, which I dont think are the same as the bulk goldens of today. Everybody seems to like Fed 22's, but most of the ones I've shot have been inconsistant in sound from shot to shot, much more so than other major brands. The bulk Rem 22's I've shot in the past 15 years havent been as bad as most peoples experience indicates. Very few misfires, nothing notable. I've wondered if it was the impact of the firing pin/hammer/striker between different guns, but when I mentioned it before, most said they didnt work well in the same type guns I shoot them in. I dont know if I've been lucky or what.

CCI mini mags have always been premium grade ammo, a little more money and a little better overall quality.

I miss the old Winchester Wildcat 22's. Waxy, cruddy, plain lead bulleted ammo, but very reliable firing and functioning, and generally pretty accruate in the guns I've shot them in so long as you didnt let them get too cruddy/dirty. The K-22 liked to be cleaned about every 500-1000 rds with that stuff.

I had some russian 22 ammo about 10 years ago that was so poor I threw over half a brick away in the garbage. Worst. Ammo. Ever.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I always looked for the Federal bulk packs when I was buying plinking ammo. Even though cheap they always seemed to work with pretty decent accuracy. CCI was more pricey but was more accurate.
As Bulldog said, for me the Wolf Match always seemed to give top accuracy. In my 10/22 bull barrel I could usually get 1/4" groups out of it with the Wolf.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

I agree on Thunder bolts as being horrible. Lead barrel badly and very dirty. However I have had good luck with golden bullets, even though you could turn the bullet in the case before firing. Cannot find federal bulk stuff for a long time :( my favorite.

Anyone have any experience with the Armscor Precision 36 gr hp coated 22 lr ????

John
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !