Interesting stuff

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Interesting stuff

Post by williamranks »

Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Interesting stuff

Post by Grizz »

Bill,

It is interesting. The idea that slower moving heavier weight flat meplat bullets penetrate deeply and straight, based on LOTS of testing in various substances, is the basis for the gsg non-deforming bullets.

My own example of the idea is the beartooth 45/70/525 PileDriver hard cast bullet that penetrated a dozen one-gallon water jugs at an impact velocity of 1410 fps from a guide gun.

Some will be quick to remind us that this is only applicable to charging water jugs, just as gelatin penetration tests are only applicable to charging gelatin, and wet newsprint penetration tests only apply to charging soaked newspapers.

I usually invite folks to do their own water jug tests on their own favorite load, video and post the results, which most often results in silence. No videos so far.

No one has posted anything like a one-dozen-dead-jug shot that I've found. This goes back over ten years, and I only know of one shot to equal that.

For the record, I actually know and understand that water is not the same as live animals. A load very close to the one I mentioned has taken all the dangerous game trophys in Africa from a levergun, so there is a reality connection.

BTB have the best alloy that I've found, it excels in the hammer test. I think that turned brass or copper solids are the most competitive alternatives to hard cast. Shouldn't be much of a trick to turn them for a machinist type.