Winchester 1894 32-40 SRC

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Winchester 1894 32-40 SRC

Post by Shrapnel »

I found another gun I didn't know I had to own. I saw this gun in a gunsmith shop in need of some repair on the buttstock. I contacted the owner and he sold it to me. It is a 6XXX serial number, made in 1894. The gun is in excellent shape other than the damage to the buttstock.

You don't often see guns this age in this condition. The color case on the lever and hammer are quite vivid. The bluing is great overall and the receiver has plenty of bluing besides.

It will be shot soon...

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester 1894 32-40 SRC

Post by JerryB »

Beautiful old carbine, you done good on that one
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Amazing SRC & some times with a little gumption they can fall in your lap!

ollogger
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

That's one good lookin SRC
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

ImageImage Yep, I keep hopin' I DON'T run across one of those... as I think I'd be unable to pass it up... even tho' I've been holding out for a "rifle" vs a carbine!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Unbelievable condition, especially for its age. You do have the eye! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
boolitshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by boolitshooter »

You did good.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Great find! There is no better feeling than scoring a nice old Winchester............well maybe.........nope, no better feeling. :D

The stock shouldn't be a problem. as long as there isn't anything special that would keep it from lettering, you can pick up another carbine with decent wood that has been hacked up in some way and swap the wood. Then your stock and forend will match.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Very Nice score....you don't see many of them in 32-40...
great score indeed......start reloading and start on that range report!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Sure is purty, just leave it home when You go out for gophers. that little slug won't stop them in time and You will have to explain the horrible bites to the E.R. doctors. :mrgreen: .
southfork
Levergunner 2.0

Post by southfork »

I am wondering how deep the riflings are on your SRC. I have a 1898 vintage model 94 rifle in 32-40, and the riflings are fairly shallow. I don't know whether it was manufactured that way, or if it has just been shot a lot and worn the riflings down. Since your SRC is so new looking, could you look at the bore with a bore light and see if your carbine has shallow riflings?
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

southfork wrote:I am wondering how deep the riflings are on your SRC. I have a 1898 vintage model 94 rifle in 32-40, and the riflings are fairly shallow. I don't know whether it was manufactured that way, or if it has just been shot a lot and worn the riflings down. Since your SRC is so new looking, could you look at the bore with a bore light and see if your carbine has shallow riflings?
I am not sure what your idea of shallow may be, but the rifling in this gun is sharp and very pronounced. Deep, as rifling may be for a BPCR rifle that shot big bullets, probably not, but the rifling is easy to see and plenty deep...
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

I put a little time on the stock to help the finish with some Tru-Oil and take the rust off the buttplate. This gun had been sitting in about an inch of water for an extended period of time. What a shame, but it still looks pretty good. I hope to be shooting it soon...

GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Shrapnel wrote:I put a little time on the stock to help the finish with some Tru-Oil and take the rust off the buttplate. This gun had been sitting in about an inch of water for an extended period of time. What a shame, but it still looks pretty good. I hope to be shooting it soon...
Fine job of cleaning/restoration, Shrapnel. Know you'll make that one "sing" when it's taken out for some range time.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.