Politics - Americans Back Ban on Semi-Automatic Guns (Huh?)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Politics - Americans Back Ban on Semi-Automatic Guns (Huh?)

Post by don Tomás »

Guess I must have missed the memo.

From the article below: "Earlier this month, African American leader Jesse Jackson discussed the current state of affairs, saying, "We should revive our ban on semi-automatic weapons. You only use them to kill people."

OK, if we can fool with the 2nd Amendment, then we should be able to fool with the 1st Amendment to prevent stupid statements like the above... :evil:
Tom

Americans Back Ban on Semi-Automatic Guns

Agus Reid Global Monitor (Canada)
April 24, 2008

(Angus Reid Global Monitor) - Many adults in the United States believe a specific kind of weapon should be forbidden, according to a poll by Knowledge Networks released by the Associated Press and Yahoo. 55 per cent of respondents support a law requiring a nationwide ban on semi-automatic handguns, which automatically re-load every time they are fired.

In addition, 77 per cent of respondents think people in their community should be allowed to keep handguns in their homes.

The U.S. Constitution’s Second Amendment guarantees Americans the right "to keep and bear arms." Some American states have enacted their own gun control regulations, independent of existing federal legislation.

Earlier this month, African American leader Jesse Jackson discussed the current state of affairs, saying, "We should revive our ban on semi-automatic weapons. You only use them to kill people."

Polling Data

Would you support or oppose a law requiring a nationwide ban on semi-automatic handguns, which automatically re-load every time they are fired?

Strongly support 35%

Somewhat support 20%

Somewhat oppose 22%

Strongly oppose 23%

Should people in your community be allowed to keep handguns in their homes, or not?

Should be allowed 77%

Should not be allowed 23%

Source: Knowledge Networks / Associated Press / Yahoo
Methodology: Online interviews with 1,844 American adults, conducted from Apr. 2 to Apr. 14, 2008. Margin of error is 2.3 per cent.
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Didn't you know? Only Liberal Politicians and Urbanites are "Americans"... the rest of us are "the tax base".
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

OI has it right.

Nobody asked me what I think about any gun bans. And I'd tell 'em, I would.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Ironsights wrote:Didn't you know? Only Liberal Politicians and Urbanites are "Americans"... the rest of us are "the tax base".
**Deleted**Grrrrr.....My ire at people that sit on the porch all day, buying and selling drugs, and complaining about us, the ones that pay the taxes.....Grrrrr
Last edited by Blaine on Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

Old Ironsights wrote:Didn't you know? Only Liberal Politicians and Urbanites are "Americans"... the rest of us are "the tax base".
Tax base yes, and generally viewed as "mouth breathers" and one tooth wonders.... :roll:
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

J Miller wrote:OI has it right.

Nobody asked me what I think about any gun bans. And I'd tell 'em, I would.

Joe
+1
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gon2shoot »

My SBH must be a semi-auto, I automatically reload it every time I shoot. :roll:
Last edited by gon2shoot on Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grit yer teeth an pull the trigger
runfiverun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by runfiverun »

i was here all day septin for the 1/2 hour i went to the range
and nobody called me about no poll,
wait maybe that is why they didn't call me......?
budliteguy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by budliteguy »

What real gets me Is Jesse Jackson, he cant make up his mind if his African or an American. He doesn"t have an African accent, But he says he's African. So if he doesn't like things here in America then why doesn't he go back to Africa,
Oh I'm sorry I forgot its a third world country and most of the population is poor and starving and hacking each other to death with machetes. Except for the thugs that are backed by the Dictatorship"s that control most of the African Nations. They get there hands on all the weapon's they want.

Take all the the gun's away from the law abiding people then the only one's that will have gun's are the goverment and the crooks and it will be hard to tell the two apart.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

they didn't ask me :cry:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Ysabel Kid

Re: Politics - Americans Back Ban on Semi-Automatic Guns (Hu

Post by Ysabel Kid »

don Tomás wrote: OK, if we can fool with the 2nd Amendment, then we should be able to fool with the 1st Amendment to prevent stupid statements like the above... :evil:
Tom
If we did that we'd have to tape his mouth shut permanately - everything he says is stupid! :evil:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

This over-taxed AMERICAN is sick and tired of supporting lazy idiots who then cancel out his vote - and vote to eliminate my freedoms!!! :evil:
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
This over-taxed AMERICAN is sick and tired of supporting lazy idiots who then cancel out his vote - and vote to eliminate my freedoms!!! :evil:
+1 :evil: :evil:
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

The media had done an exemplary job of making "semi-auto" equate to "full auto" in the minds of the uninformed. I think if you took the 35% who supported the ban to the range and let them try each type and explain to them the differences, the poll data would turn out much differently.

Ed
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Yep, it sure made it alot safer in Britain when they did it to us in 87, NOT!
Bloody IDIOTS!
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!