Browning vs new Winchester 71

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
dtrice
Levergunner

Browning vs new Winchester 71

Post by dtrice »

Hi, I am in the market for a 71. I'm deciding on an old Browning or a new Winchester. I've read that the browning dimensions and threads are different from the originals. Also their throats are shorter. Does anyone know if the new Winchesters are patterned off those miroku brownings or the original Winchesters. Thanks.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Browning vs new Winchester 71

Post by vancelw »

The new Winchesters are made by Miroku for Browning and are branded Winchester. Same guns essentially, but the new versions have tang safety and rebounding hammer. Makes the price of NIB and gently used Brownings look a little better, doesn't it?

EDIT: All the Japanese Miroku guns are metric thread as far as I know.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

I'd take the Bowning for the original style trigger/hammer and lack of tang safety, and for the price.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Get the Brning what you save is the rebounding hammer and safety, yes the the throat is a might short its fine for jacketed bullets for cast you can just set them back abit and use a lee FCD or I run the nose in a 338-340 sizer to the crimp slot. For hunting I have used Hdy 200 gr FP and Beartooth 245 gr hard cast works on big animals. danny
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings
No question for me go with the Browning !
If the throat is too short for a favorite Cast Bullet then any competant "Smithy" can do that task.
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

get an original
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
dtrice
Levergunner

Post by dtrice »

BigSky56 wrote:Get the Brning what you save is the rebounding hammer and safety, yes the the throat is a might short its fine for jacketed bullets for cast you can just set them back abit and use a lee FCD or I run the nose in a 338-340 sizer to the crimp slot. For hunting I have used Hdy 200 gr FP and Beartooth 245 gr hard cast works on big animals. danny

Seems like its unanimous that the Browning is preferred over the new Winchesters. I've looked at both of those bullets , I'm curious to know what charges you're using. Any load recommendations are always appreciated. I'll probably get into handloading for it once I have the rifle. I'm a big fan of the 1886, I have two Brownings. So the 71 is next step in that progression. I do with that Browning had produced some of the 1886 in 33 wcf, though.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

For the Hdy 200 gr FP, not the flex tip 200 as its wont work well on animals above deer its basically the SST jacket with a flex tip, my accuracy load is 53 grs of IMR 4895 win cases and win LR primer this load is in the Lyman #45 manual out of 24" B71 its running 2450 fps 3/4" groups at 100. have killed elk thru&thru chest shots one bullet I found on a quartering chest shot went 30+" the bullet weighted 186 grs and was a about 60 caliber. With the Beartooth 245 I use AA4350 55 grs the load is available online at their site. I have started using RE-15 and 17 as theres no published loads I'll refrain from posting them, John Barsness listed 58 grs RE-15 with the 200 hdy and hodgdon lists 58 gr varget with the hdy 200. remember 15 is kinda like 4895 and 17 is like 4350 the alliant tech told me to use IMR4350 load data to work up loads with RE-17. The reason I went to RE powders is it gets cold here and 4895&4350 have shown to drop up to 2' at 100 yds in 0 to 20 below. I cant keep the beartooth 245 in a elk and have switched over to it encase I bump into a brownie as I hunt alder thickets and dark timber and if I miss my head shot I want to still get a pass thru to his butt, I even load a beartooth in my 30-30. for regular deer and elk hunting the hdy 200 FP will serve you well. There are a number of other bullets out there swift 200, northfork 230, Kodiak 250, hawk several weights,woodleigh 250 and barnes 220&250 none of them beat beartooth in penetration and staying together and the premiums are 1-2$ a bullet. a beartooth works as they arent brittle and dont shatter if they hit pinbone. danny
dtrice
Levergunner

Post by dtrice »

BigSky56 wrote:For the Hdy 200 gr FP, not the flex tip 200 as its wont work well on animals above deer its basically the SST jacket with a flex tip, my accuracy load is 53 grs of IMR 4895 win cases and win LR primer this load is in the Lyman #45 manual out of 24" B71 its running 2450 fps 3/4" groups at 100. have killed elk thru&thru chest shots one bullet I found on a quartering chest shot went 30+" the bullet weighted 186 grs and was a about 60 caliber. With the Beartooth 245 I use AA4350 55 grs the load is available online at their site. I have started using RE-15 and 17 as theres no published loads I'll refrain from posting them, John Barsness listed 58 grs RE-15 with the 200 hdy and hodgdon lists 58 gr varget with the hdy 200. remember 15 is kinda like 4895 and 17 is like 4350 the alliant tech told me to use IMR4350 load data to work up loads with RE-17. The reason I went to RE powders is it gets cold here and 4895&4350 have shown to drop up to 2' at 100 yds in 0 to 20 below. I cant keep the beartooth 245 in a elk and have switched over to it encase I bump into a brownie as I hunt alder thickets and dark timber and if I miss my head shot I want to still get a pass thru to his butt, I even load a beartooth in my 30-30. for regular deer and elk hunting the hdy 200 FP will serve you well. There are a number of other bullets out there swift 200, northfork 230, Kodiak 250, hawk several weights,woodleigh 250 and barnes 220&250 none of them beat beartooth in penetration and staying together and the premiums are 1-2$ a bullet. a beartooth works as they arent brittle and dont shatter if they hit pinbone. danny

Update: I am now the owner of an original 1948 Winchester 71. :D I must say it is one of the most comfortable rifles I've ever shouldered, if not the most. The balance is excellent and the foregrip fills the hand well. Different even from my various marlins (which are also pistol grips), and winchester levers (even my 1886 brownings). The price was very reasonable for what I've seen online for the originals. I stumbled upon it yesterday, and couldn't let it get away. I never expected to own an original, but I can't wait to start loading for it.

Thanks so much for the info. That is impressive accuracy in that load, although I have done some reading and others are able to get similarly impressive groups. So I'm excited to see what this rifle can do. I plan on using H4895, because it could also be used for the non-magnum calibers ( 30-30, 30-06, etc.) It also does well with lighter loads, from what I read on Hodgdon's website. I'd also be interested if the other companies make something similar (core lokt, etc) to the 200 gr FP, to give flexibility when the Hornadys may be sold out.
I'm new to hand loading, so how could I come up with a safe H4895 load with a bullet like the Beartooth? Or some other bullet not listed in the manuals.

I'm glad to hear you like the Beartooth in your 30-30 and have success with it, what weight are you using? Any recommendations for that caliber?
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

173 gr beartooth AA 5744 max load and RE-15 max load. danny
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

I own a Winchester 71 one made in early 50's. It is beautiful, and I agree with others that it might be the best
lever action ever built. I used to hear people say bullets were hard to find, but reloading opens up all kinds of
options. I have several loads I will be testing this summer for a fall moose hunt. Love my "71", you will also.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

original 1948 Winchester 71!!!!!! SWEET! CONGRATS.....
Lets us know when the moose BBQ is! :wink:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Not mine but saw this one advertised. I know nothing about them so I don't know if its a good price. But sure is a nice looking lever. Sorry if I should have posted in classifieds. Just looked it up after reading these posts.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/show ... ?t=1063604
dtrice
Levergunner

Post by dtrice »

RIHMFIRE wrote:original 1948 Winchester 71!!!!!! SWEET! CONGRATS.....
Lets us know when the moose BBQ is! :wink:
daisygordoninc wrote:I own a Winchester 71 one made in early 50's. It is beautiful, and I agree with others that it might be the best
lever action ever built. I used to hear people say bullets were hard to find, but reloading opens up all kinds of
options. I have several loads I will be testing this summer for a fall moose hunt. Love my "71", you will also.
Sounds like a 71 is good medicine for Moose. We don't have any near here, but I'm always up for a trip. :D