UP-DATE: Kel-Tec SUB-2000 in 9mm (Glock 17 mags)...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1894c

UP-DATE: Kel-Tec SUB-2000 in 9mm (Glock 17 mags)...

Post by 1894c »

I recently sold all of AR stuff--in the end I really like leveguns more, probably explains why I hang out here. BUT, I just picked up a Kel-Tec SUB-2000 in 9mm (uses Glock 17 mags) at my local LE LGS, got it for $380.00 NIB. Always wanted one...the rifle reminds me of a design that a "resistance group" would design and build--it is literally a basic semi-auto, nothing fancy. I just realized that I can use those Glock 33 rnd 9mm mags too..so bring on the revolution... :)

SHOOTING UP-DATE (04/17): took the SUB-2K to a local gravel pit and shot clay pigeons at 65 yards (measured)...didn't take pictures, but had no issues with the gun. A friend and I took turns firing the gun and we were impressed how well it shot (minute-of-clay pigeon) and how well it functioned, especially since we were shooting the Remington White-Box 115gr. stuff (that stuff shoots dirty), we shot 200 rounds. Again, this is a basic, and I mean basic gun, but allot of fun... :)

PS-- the following is a link to the new re-designed SUB-2k Gen II, I have an order for one of those too...
http://www.thektog.org/Enter-the-Gen-II ... -KTOG.html
SUB-2K.A.jpg
SUB-2K.B.jpg
SUB-2K.C.jpg
NEW IMPROVED SUB-2K GEN-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 1894c on Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Kel-Tec SUB-2000 in 9mm (Glock 17 mags)...

Post by Grizz »

I have the 9 with beretta magwell. Put the buffer in it and it does soften the recoil a bit.

when I find a 40 I will buy that.

However, I didn't dump my ARs. :)

Grizz
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

What did you have to sacrifice to get it at normal price? Who did you have to sacrifice?
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Panzercat wrote:What did you have to sacrifice to get it at normal price? Who did you have to sacrifice?
Panzercat -- I just walked in to my favorite LGS last Wednesday and there it was at $400.00 (they just got it in, it was the second SUB-2K they had seen in three years), I was given a slight LE discount so I got it for $380.00...I should have gone out and bought a lottery ticket... :)

Grizz -- I owned a .40S&W SUB-2K three years ago and sold it when I went all 9mm all the time (boy did that round hammer with authority out of that 16" barrel), I thought I could just find a 9mm--WRONG--and since I refused to pay the high prices on gunbroker.com I simply waited...and waited...and waited...
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I started to buy one of those back when they were $299 (pre-panic, pre-$800) but just couldn't make myself do it. In retrospect, the folding capability would have been handy to stow it away somewhere, but that wasn't what I was looking for at the time.

I considered a Marlin camp rifle, but prices were stupid and capacity was limited. I ended up with a Just Right Carbine and love it, but it does weigh more and take up more room than a Sub 2000.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I passed on a 9mm years ago because I wanted a .40. that was stupid. it took about three years to run into the 9 and I would not have seen it if it had a glock magwell.

as with the .40, the 9 has more whack-um from the longer barrel. noticeable on steel reactive targets.

look forward to your shooting reports
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I would like to have a 9mm that takes the Beretta mags, so long as I could make the same mags work in my Taurus 92. Might just trade it off on a Glock 9mm, they seem a lot easier to find in the Sub2K than the Beretta magazine models.
NRA Life Member
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

As a pure defensive piece it makes more sense than a full size battle rifle. Easier to transport and conceal. With the 33 shot mags, you are ready for anything. 8)
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have one in .40 S&W that uses Glock magazines. PillHer likes it as much as I do. That longer barrel makes the noise a little less at the ear, and the bullets have a really nice crack sound as they exit. I paid $400 plus tax about a year ago.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

IMHO, the Sub-2000 with a Glock mag well and a mag pouch with a half-dozen 33rd factory mags is the perfect ground-travel/get home gun there is.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

firefuzz wrote:IMHO, the Sub-2000 with a Glock mag well and a mag pouch with a half-dozen 33rd factory mags is the perfect ground-travel/get home gun there is.

Rob
but'cept, I can ride around with full mag in the ar pistol with no legal problems, but if I have a mag in the sub2k, even if it's folded up, it's jailbait. can't take the risk so I haul the ar around. clever "lawmakers".

@piller: Do you suppose the .40 s&w in the carbine is near to the 10 mm from a pistol in performance?

Grizz
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

I'd go for one of those Gen II models. Not that I expect to see one in my lifetime with the state of keltec's production. I've pretty much resolved myself to getting an AK pistol for the same approximate size, if not weight. If I did see one, it would be on my immedite do-not-ask-questions-buy-buy-buy list.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Grizz wrote:...I can ride around with full mag in the ar pistol with no legal problems, but if I have a mag in the sub2k, even if it's folded up, it's jailbait....
Around here many cops would start to shake and/or drool if they 'found' an AR pistol during a traffic stop (or whatever), and you can be SURE they would 'find' evidence of a crime (even if they had to plant it themselves) as an excuse to 'take that weapon off the street' (make a handy gift for their nephew's birthday).

Guess I am kinda cynical, but even when the LAW is on your side, it doesn't always mean the cops will be... :(
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Re: UP-DATE: Kel-Tec SUB-2000 in 9mm (Glock 17 mags)...

Post by piller »

Grizz, from what I read on Kel Tec's website, the improved performance in the 16 inch barrel is supposed to make the .40 have a velocity in the range of the 10mm from a pistol. I have not run it over a chronograph, so I can't say for sure. I haven't been shooting much for about a year due to an eye infection that nearly took the vision in my right eye. On this last Wednesday, I just got the all clear, and I plan on getting some range time in once I get a few chores caught up. I will take my Glock model 22 and the Kel Tec and find out what the velocity difference is while using the same bullets. Winchester white box seems like a good starting point since we all know them and their performance is well documented on paper targets.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Grizz wrote:Do you suppose the .40 s&w in the carbine is near to the 10 mm from a pistol in performance?
I think I referenced an article on that very topic but using the MechTech 'upper'. I'll see if I can find it.

Try this one...I can't check cuz I'm on my phone in a dead zone but I think this guy did tests on all three chambering in the 16" barrel 'upper' so you could compare his 40 S&W data to the 10mm handgun data out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiOLTN_320c

Oops that wasn't it...I'll keep looking...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "