Pistol powder shopping today

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Pistol powder shopping today

Post by earlmck »

About once a month I drift through the usual suspects (grafs, midsouth, powder valley, etc) to see how powder supplies are shaping up. And I've been seeing modest availability of rifle powders, even the moderate and fast ones for a while now. But if a feller were hurting for pistol powder, or stuff for making Cowboy Action loads, it would still be pretty bleak.

Today I noted once again that something called "Longshot" from Hodgdon is available. This looks like it should be a decent powder for mid-type loads, maybe not too far off "Unique" which I haven't seen available in a long time. If I needed pistol powder (thank goodness I don't) I'd be working up some loads with this "Longshot" stuff.

By the way, what are you "Cowboy Action" guys doing for powder these days? I was just starting to get real fond of "Trailboss" when it became unobtanium so I've been using "Green Dot" for equivalent velocity loads because I have a fair bit of it.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Pistol powder shopping today

Post by jhrosier »

earlmck wrote:.... if a feller were hurting for pistol powder, or stuff for making Cowboy Action loads, it would still be pretty bleak. ....
Bleak indeed.

There seems to be a fair bit of Titegroup available locally, but little else.
The prices are about $30 so there's not much incentive to stock up.

Jack
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Re: Pistol powder shopping today

Post by Lefty Dude »

For CAS/SASS I use Unique & American Select. I have found Unique at Cabela's on several occasions. Scored three pound of Unique from a Vendor who was setting up prior to the SASS Winter Range National match held here in Phoenix Feb. of this year.
We use American Select more than Unique, lucky for me I had two eight pounders before this shortage started. I have been able to find one pounders here and there to fill in the balance of my inventory.
To limit my Smokeless powder use two years ago I started shooting Frontiersman with Cap & ball revolvers, my 73 and shotgun with Black powder or BP-sub APP.
Thanks to advanced planning after the 2008 POTUS election I started stocking up on reloading components for all my shooting requirements, including 22LR & 22 Mag.
I do some bullet casting and also have a supply of pure lead & wheel weight metal. My SIL is the Service Manager for a GM dealership, I get all the weights from the tire shop. However they are using more iron weights on the new cars. So I visit my local Metal recycle yard. I was there this past week and picked up 76 pounds of clean sheet pure lead for $46.00. This I use for my C&B Revolvers.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30