Servel Refrigerators USA

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mark08
Levergunner 2.0

Servel Refrigerators USA

Post by mark08 »

Hey Folks,

On another topic about appliances the old Servel refrigerators came up. Well they are still made in Sweden and sold in the USA under the brand Servel/Dometic. The Amish also make a Gas Refrigerator in the USA..branded Diamond.. Servel was proudly Built in Evansville, Indiana from 1927 though 1956... Thought this info would be useful for those wanting a refrigerator off the grid. Gas or kerosene.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Re: Servel Refrigerators USA

Post by wm »

I recall my father and I reconstructing the cabinets in our family travel trailer in the late 70's to fit a Servel frig. It was an older model and purchased used but my father had it reconditioned and it ran great in there for many years even after he sold the trailer in the late 80's.

I remember my father pointing out the quality of the materials used to make it
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

A late friend had an old Serval, in his deep woods Maine hunting camp, that worked pretty much as a normal fridge.

(The camp also had a composting toilet to obviate the need for a leach field, and LP gas lighting throughout, since the nearest power was about 1 mile away)

Everything was still going strong when his widow sold the property, about 2 years ago (No, not to me).

BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

I'd rather use a kerosene anything over propane no co2 or co to worry about. keep water out of the fuel, theres a special funnel, and wicks trimmed and your good to go. weekly maintenance and they will run for years. danny