Looks like Mr. Spock Got Beamed Up for the Final Time.....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Looks like Mr. Spock Got Beamed Up for the Final Time.....

Post by GonnePhishin »

Leonard Nimoy aka "Mr Spock" passed away at age 83 today. I can remember seeing him in some westerns back in the late 1950's as well as an episode of the Untouchables. He was a fine actor.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/27/arts/ ... at-83.html
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Looks like Mr. Spock Got Beamed Up for the Final Time...

Post by Griff »

RIP Mr. Spock.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

He's dead, Jim... :(
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

He's dead, Jim... :(
:(

No more dilithium crystals, either. :wink:
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Little bit of trivia. When Nimoy found out that Kim Catrall was posing after hours in nothing but her Vulcan ears on the set of whatever Star Trek movie it was, he confiscated the pictures and negatives and destroyed them.

Live long and prosper in the next life Nimoy.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Usually the passing of an actor doesn't overly concern me. But Leonard Nimoy was different. I'm afraid his passing has made my old eyes leak.

I'll have to dig out my Two Sides of Leonard Nimoy album again.

So long Mr. Spock.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

"The Trouble with Tribbles" the 44th episode.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Sad to see another Trekie gone. But, I've wondered if this wasn't the inspiration for his ears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGF5ROpjRAU
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Joe, thanks for the heartfelt post and I share your feelings. While I was not born until 1966, and I was by no means a "TV child" I grew up watching the Three Stooges reruns on UHF and later Star Trek syndicated reruns at 3pm daily. I would come home from elementary school and watch Star Trek, the Original Series, almost every day. Then I would get restless and go play outside in the yard at a time in history where MOST children played outside and not glued to some video game which I never understood. To this day and so many computers later, no video games on my computers.

I grew up exploring the undeveloped areas of Santa Barbara and Goleta, California, exploring log forts where trees had been cut down to fall on each other, or where narrow slot sandstone canyons had been cut by erosion, and looked very pre-historic. Many good times there.

I once had the pleasure of seeing Mr. Nimoy speak at our local State Street Theater in Santa Barbara, I think in the late 80's. This was back when he was trying to come to terms with his constant association of being "Mr. Spock". He was quite engaging but perhaps the funniest story was when he told of an incident where he pulled up to a stoplight at the same time as a young lady. She immediately recognized him and tried her best to "V" her fingers but she could not. When she could not, she said "I speak with an accent!". This cracked him up to the utmost, and it was clear he realized what to him was such an innocuous period in his career meant a very, very great deal to others. My best friend Joel and his father Walt were at this event.

Perhaps after writing his first autobiography "I am not Spock" he wrote a follow-up 20 years later called "I am Spock" and after his appearances in "The Next Generation" and then the new re-makes, he demonstrated that he WAS really and truly the heart of Star Trek.

Yeah, I am totally bummed today. I really liked the guy and how many hours of enjoyment he provided me as child and as an adult.

Thank you Mr. Nimoy. Thank you so much Sir.

Regards,

-Tutt
Last edited by CowboyTutt on Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Leonard Nimoy,
U.S. Army Reserves 1953 - 1955.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

casastahle wrote:Leonard Nimoy,
Big thumbs up.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

CowboyTutt wrote:Joe, thanks for the heartfelt post and I share your feelings. While I was not born until 1966, and I was by no means a "TV child" I grew up watching the Three Stooges reruns on UHF and later Star Trek syndicated reruns at 3pm daily. I would come home from elementary school and watch Star Trek, the Original Series, almost every day. Then I would get restless and go play outside in the yard at a time in history where MOST children played outside and not glued to some video game which I never understood. To this day and so many computers later, no video games on my computers.

I grew up exploring the undeveloped areas of Santa Barbara and Goleta, California, exploring log forts where trees had been cut down to fall on each other, or where narrow slot sandstone canyons had been cut by erosion, and looked very pre-historic. Many good times there.

I once had the pleasure of seeing Mr. Nimoy speak at our local State Street Theater in Santa Barbara, I think in the late 80's. This was back when he was trying to come to terms with his constant association of being "Mr. Spock". He was quite engaging but perhaps the funniest story was when he told of an incident where he pulled up to a stoplight at the same time as a young lady. She immediately recognized him and tried her best to "V" her fingers but she could not. When she could not, she said "I speak with an accent!". This cracked him up to the utmost, and it was clear he realized what to him was such an innocuous period in his career meant a very, very great deal to others.

Perhaps after writing his first autobiography "I am not Spock" he wrote a follow-up 20 years later called "I am Spock" and after his appearances in "The Next Generation" and then the new re-makes, he demonstrated that he WAS really and truly the heart of Star Trek.

Yeah, I am totally bummed today. I really liked the guy and how many hours of enjoyment he provided me as child and as an adult.

Thank you Mr. Nimoy. Thank you so much Sir.

Regards,

-Tutt
Andy -

My experiences we very much like yours. Born in 1964, I was too young to remember the original airing of the TV series, but watched it over and over again in syndication for many, many years. I can honestly say it helped shape me - especially my ideas on friendship and loyalty. We would play war, cowboys and indians, cops and robbers - and Star Trek - endlessly.

I am also very bummed today. :(
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Andy -

My experiences we very much like yours. Born in 1964, I was too young to remember the original airing of the TV series, but watched it over and over again in syndication for many, many years. I can honestly say it helped shape me - especially my ideas on friendship and loyalty. We would play war, cowboys and indians, cops and robbers - and Star Trek - endlessly.

I am also very bummed today. :(
Yup, you just characterized it beautifully Ysabel.

Hard day for so many of us. Thanks Pard. :(

-A-
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

Treeman72
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Treeman72 »

I was born in 1982, and I grew up with the Next Generation and several of the movies with the original cast. I've been a lifelong trekkie. It has been sad to watch the stars pass away over time. Gonna miss you Mr. Nimoy.

As a child, I did my best to create starships out of legos and hold massive interstellar battles!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

casastahle wrote:Leonard Nimoy,
Never forget too, "Mad Man" James Doohan (d. 2005) of the RCA/RCAF who was fond of slaloming his Low-Level Artillery Observation Aircraft between telephone poles.... under the wires... AFTER getting shot up leading 120 Men onto the Beach on D-Day... (including losing his "Howdy Jerry!" finger from his right hand to a Nazi bullet ... :wink: )
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

C.T. bit older than you, I DO remember when Star Trek origionally aired and was quite upset when it was taken off. Been a Trekkie too, all my life and have enjoyed MOST of the movies/series.

Sore shoulder-would have been some "interesting pictures". I believe the movie was "The Undiscovered Country".

I was also quite bummed when I hear of Mr. Nimoy's passing today. Had to bow my head in sadness. You will be missed, but yet, will be remembered.

Thank You, Mr. Spock, for all you have shared with us. You are one of the few actors that I could really have cared about in your career.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Mr. Nimoy and his co-stars expression of Gene Roddenberry's vision opened many doors in this young man's imagination.

I honestly believe that they, in their craft, changed the world.

It's sentimental goop, but few things on film have moved me like "I am, and shall always be, your friend."

Thank you, Sir, and good journey.

:(
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Mr. Nemoy was Jewish and brought up attending the temple services. That is where the Vulcan salute came from. I can't link it here on my phone, but if you look on YouTube you can find the story, it's great!
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Catlow
The Tall Man
The Outlaws
Gunsmoke
Comanche Scalps
The Ape (Bonanza)
Under Attack (Bonanza)

Live Long & Prosper
Last edited by Ji in Hawaii on Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:Image
Catlow
The Tall Man
The Outlaws
Gunsmoke

Live Long & Prosper
JI...Seriously....I grieve over your continued absence a bit more than Spock's passing...
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Gregor
Levergunner

Post by Gregor »

I recall Mr. Nimoy appearing in an episode of "COMBAT". Was excellent as host/narrator of "In Search of..."

RIP
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

It's no doubt that Star Trek influenced my generation, if you think it didn't look at the name of the first space shuttle, "Enterprise". Although Scotty was always my favorite, Mr. Spock's calm demeanor and self-sacrificing attitude in the face of any danger always impressed me. The show promoted peaceful interaction between all parties, but never hesitated to fight aggressively for freedom for all. Hard as I practiced, I never did get that Vulcan "neck pinch" down tho, believe me I tried for years on my little sister and cousins. :lol:

May your spirit continue to Live Long and Prosper, Mr. Spock. Thanks for expanding the imaginations of more than one generation.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Ji: Thanks for those cowboy pictures of Leonard Nimoy. I knew I saw him in a number of westerns when I was a kid.

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I didn't get to see the first running of Star Trek TOS. I was aware of it but too young at 14 to pay attention. When it went to reruns I started watching and was hooked. That was around 69 or so.
I've seen them all, enjoyed them all, and when the chance came to buy a complete set of TOS on video I splurged, put the budget in a kink and bought them.

I was thinking as I read through the posts, didn't Nimoy spend a few seasons on Mission Impossible?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

I believe he was in one of the very first Lone Ranger TV episodes. I'll have to see if I can find it.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

firefuzz wrote:It's no doubt that Star Trek influenced my generation, if you think it didn't look at the name of the first space shuttle, "Enterprise".
Rob
Dang, I guess Benedict Arnold must have watched Star Trek too. :lol:
11B30
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

firefuzz wrote:It's no doubt that Star Trek influenced my generation, if you think it didn't look at the name of the first space shuttle, "Enterprise". Although Scotty was always my favorite, Mr. Spock's calm demeanor and self-sacrificing attitude in the face of any danger always impressed me. The show promoted peaceful interaction between all parties, but never hesitated to fight aggressively for freedom for all. Hard as I practiced, I never did get that Vulcan "neck pinch" down tho, believe me I tried for years on my little sister and cousins. :lol:

May your spirit continue to Live Long and Prosper, Mr. Spock. Thanks for expanding the imaginations of more than one generation.

Rob
Can't say it any better. RIP Mr. Spock :cry:
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

firefuzz wrote:It's no doubt that Star Trek influenced my generation, if you think it didn't look at the name of the first space shuttle, "Enterprise".
You are correct, however, Gene Rodenberry was most likely influenced by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Enterprise

One of my favorite memories of Nimoy is very recent, from Saturday Night Live. The new, "reboot" of Star Trek with Chris Pine was about to premiere, and in a skit, Nimoy basically told people grousing over it to suck it up and get over it. I've a fan of the old, but I'm also a fan of the new. :D

Kim Catrall was in ST6, "Undiscovered Country." IMHO, one of the best ST movies. It actually had a murder mystery plot! And was meaningful to those of us who lived through the Cold War.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

vancelw wrote:
You are correct, however, Gene Rodenberry was most likely influenced by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Enterprise

Kim Catrall was in ST6, "Undiscovered Country." IMHO, one of the best ST movies. It actually had a murder mystery plot! And was meaningful to those of us who lived through the Cold War.
The intro to the series Enterprise with Scott Bacula shows a montage of all the Enterprise ships from Benedict Arnolds Revolutionary War sloop that he literally stole, all the way to the ship in the series, pre Capt Kirk, first warp drive. It's a moving series pf scenes.

Kim was horrible in that movie lol, and she really believed she was doing serious acting, that horrible hair/bangs she wore was her idea :lol: . Nimoy apparently did not approve of her off camera actions at all.
11B30
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

vancelw wrote:
firefuzz wrote:...
One of my favorite memories of Nimoy is very recent, from Saturday Night Live. The new, "reboot" of Star Trek with Chris Pine was about to premiere, and in a skit, Nimoy basically told people grousing over it to suck it up and get over it. I've a fan of the old, but I'm also a fan of the new. :D
He also did a GREAT advert with the "new Spock" for Audi, where he was grousing about how lame his Mercedes was... whilst bantering in Actor Spock Talk with the new kid.

All that's left of the TOS Crew (by age) is George, Bill, Nichoele, & Walter (and Majel/Mrs Roddenberry, but she was not Bridge Crew)...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Old Ironsights wrote:
vancelw wrote:
firefuzz wrote:...
He also did a GREAT advert with the "new Spock" for Audi, where he was grousing about how lame his Mercedes was... whilst bantering in Actor Spock Talk with the new kid.

All that's left of the TOS Crew (by age) is George, Bill, Nichoele, & Walter (and Majel/Mrs Roddenberry, but she was not Bridge Crew)...
My how time flies, OI. I was going to say that we lost the original Number 1/computer voice/Nurse Chapel/Ambassador Troi a couple of years ago....but it was 2008! I believe she had a part in every ST series up to the first reboot movie that premiered in 2009.

She was 1st officer to Captain Pike in the first, failed series pilot. Test audiences and NBC hated a female 1st officer so the pilot was reshot with Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Dang. Missed that somehow... but then, she rarely made any sort of headline. It was her way...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Yes, Leonard Nimoy was on Mission Impossible as well. I think he was on the last couple of years it was on tv.

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Hey Guys, I went to his Face Book page and posted a link to this tribute thread. Hopefully the family will eventually see it. :cry:

-Tutt

firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

CowboyTutt wrote:Hey Guys, I went to his Face Book page and posted a link to this tribute thread. Hopefully the family will eventually see it. :cry:

-Tutt

Good plan.
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

I've seen the Star Trek movies. He'll be back. :wink:
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

At the place I worked at back in the day when Star Trek was on TV as a new TV show, you fell into one of two groups: Square or Cool...Squares liked a TV Sy Fi show that came on at the same time on another channel as Star Trek,The lamest of the lame: "Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea", Starring Richard Baseheart & David Hedison...PATOOEY!!!! :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:Image
Catlow...
Live Long & Prosper...
Thanks, Ji
I just saw Catlow again, and had no clue about Nimoy's involvement in Catlow or in several others, as far as I recall (I don't always read the credits because I'm busy picking up popcorn from the couch).

Mr. Nimoy took what was to be a minor role and, through great innovation and not over-acting, made his character a lasting world-wide phenomenon.

He never thought his role would last; he remained in the Los Angeles phone book under his actual name (Leonard Nimoy) all during the time that Star Trek was live. I once talked to him briefly, thinking that his name was a coincidence, not realizing that it was actually him on the other end of the line.

By all accounts, he was not really representative of the Hollywood crowd; he was a gentleman and true to his faith.

That video, hopefully still linked, that talks about his faith related to the hand sign and "Live Long and Prosper" is here:
http://www.jewsnews.co.il/2014/05/19/th ... an-salute/

EDIT: The above link is such a tribute to the character (Spock) and the man (Mr. Nimoy) that I saved the video. If you wish to download the mp4 file and save it - about 15 MB, as I recall - you can retrieve it from my archive site with this link:
https://app.box.com/s/laexfyitb3u9t7fz27dv333f2zvd518n

As with others here, there are a few great artists whose passing leaves some type of hole in my life. Mr. Nimoy, along with his later self-effacing humor on some hotel ads, was one of these losses. May his memory live long and prosper.
Last edited by JohndeFresno on Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Old Ironsights wrote: All that's left of the TOS Crew (by age) is George, Bill, Nichoele, & Walter (and Majel/Mrs Roddenberry, but she was not Bridge Crew)...
...and that beautiful "Yeoman Rand" with the unusual braided blond hairpiece in the series, Grace Lee Whitney. She had been slated as Captain Kirk's permanent love interest until some apparent male skullduggery by StarTrek management occurred which she apparently addressed. It appears that the result was that they cut her role short in the series.

She still appeared in the subsequent ST movies. She is 85 (I think), and still lives about 35 miles from me (in the foothills of Central California), and gave a tribute to Mr. Spock on the local news.
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

Well the line has 1 less in front of us.
RIP and thanks..
JOHNNY WACKO
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzevezzx/john ... dproducts/
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

JohnDeFresno, very nice posts. Thank you Sir! -Tutt

JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

CowboyTutt wrote:JohnDeFresno, very nice posts. Thank you Sir! -Tutt
My pleasure, Cowboy Tutt - I appreciate how you (and others) captured his spirit, as well. Good move to put this link on Facebook; the family deserves it. I sent a private message there, too.