Question for the group

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Question for the group

Post by jeepnik »

I'm frustrated. The last few days some web sites (originally it was all) came up with a "certificate error". Most seem to be back, but email from Yahoo, Gmail, and my ISP and strangely, my bank are still effected.

I run Norton, and just finished running Malware Bytes. They cleaned out some stuff, but no change in the error message. So, throw out any and all suggestions.

Oh, it originally effected all of my computers on this network, but not when they were on another network. Even on this network, they all work fine. So help!!!
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Re: Question for the group

Post by GonnePhishin »

Does that mean the certificate for that particular website has expired and they haven't renewed it yet??
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Get rid of Norton, it's effectively a virus you pay for.

Malwarebytes isn't bad for free, but if you're serious about keeping your PC uninfected, run Webroot.

I used to work for one of the largest game companies in the world (you would know their products, even not being a gamer) and that was the recommendation of our IT department, which kept 650 PCs (networked) in my building and another 2200 worldwide uninfected.

Friend of mine who post-Iraq went into IT and is the IT director for a large corporation also agreed.

Not all antivirus programs find and defeat the same viruses, running Webroot and the free version of Malware would be even better.

Think of it like wearing belt, suspenders and hiring a sherpa just in case.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

MrMurphy wrote:
Not all antivirus programs find and defeat the same viruses, running Webroot and the free version of Malware would be even better.
I thought that having more than one anti-virus system on your computer could damage it????

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Guys, thanks for the help. But it turned out simpler than I thought. But I did learn one thing, again. Never, never, never try to fix a computer glitch after working long hours all week.

I got up this morning, and it popped into my head. The "certificates" are time sensitive. What if my computers clock was wrong. Bingo! I had been using the time.windows.com (the default) to automatically set my computers clock. Changed it to using the time.nist.gov website. Problem solved.

What I can't figure out is why. Oh well, computers.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

I thought that having more than one anti-virus system on your computer could damage it????
Wouldn't "damage' the computer but might slow it down and the programs might conflict with each other sometimes causing other glitches or problems.

1+ on what Mr. Murphy said.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry