Surplus of win 231

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Surplus of win 231

Post by Streetstar »

I have a small surplus of Win 231 powder ( maybe 4 lbs) and am in the mood to use some up over the holidays

Anyone have a pet load for either 45 colt. Or 38 special with 231 they can pass along?

Much levergun and single action festivities will transpire for sure :D
----- Doug
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Surplus of win 231

Post by walks with gun »

Every levergunner can probably appreciate a 1911 in .45, what better way to use up a bunch of 231.
trapper45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by trapper45 »

Seven (7) grains of 231 under a 250-255gr lead bullet does great. The ammo brochure that used to be available from Winchester (1985) lists 7.1 gr of 231 for the .45LC with a 250-gr bullet, for 875fps, 13,000 c.u.p. (I don't figure one-tenth of one 7000th of a pound makes much difference, and 7 is an easy number to remember.)

The same brochure lists 4.3 gr of 231 with a 158-gr lead bullet in .38 Special. (865 fps; 15,500 c.u.p.)

Merry Christmas!
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

trapper45 wrote:Seven (7) grains of 231 under a 250-255gr lead bullet does great. The ammo brochure that used to be available from Winchester (1985) lists 7.1 gr of 231 for the .45LC with a 250-gr bullet, for 875fps, 13,000 c.u.p. (I don't figure one-tenth of one 7000th of a pound makes much difference, and 7 is an easy number to remember.)

The same brochure lists 4.3 gr of 231 with a 158-gr lead bullet in .38 Special. (865 fps; 15,500 c.u.p.)

Merry Christmas!
Like trapper45 said 255 grain lead and 7 grains in colt good for weaker guns. I used 8 in my old vaquero, shot great. 4-4.5 grains in .38 is a good load.
Byron
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I've used the same loads from the same manual Trapper45 listed since the 1970s. Excellent loads.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Thanks gents ! --

I was going to buy a case of pre-assembled blasting ammo (and still might soon ) to build up my brass ,
--- but -- am starting to feel the Christmas squeeze a bit already, but i'm not going to give up shooting if i have materials at hand :lol:

My wife is going to have to stop using my workbench as a laundry folding table for a while so i can mount up my Rockchucker and powder measure again :lol:

I hadn't reloaded in a couple of years -- as i told myself i would start up again when i could get a Dillon 650 and/or a couple of Square B's in there to really crank it up --- but alas , i never did that -- Loading up a couple hundred rounds of .45 and another couple hundred of .38 will take awhile for me, but heck , that would be 300 bucks worth of ammo if purchased locally ---- sounds like a pretty good return on a few hours work :)
----- Doug
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

A couple simple little tricks allowed me to load faster on a single stage press. I use baskets to hold me brass, some about 8-12" diamter work well. Dump a hundred or more cases in, shake the basket sideways a bit and most of the brass turn mouth up. I pick up 3 or 4 (or more), run them through the die, etc. When the cases get harder to pick up, more shaking gets them turned up again. When that die is done, the in and out baskets get swapped, and the next stage is done. They work well for the hand priming tools also. They only see a loading block when getting charged, and rarely see boxes. Ziplock freezer bags work well. If the see boxes, its only when done. Bullets can also be put in baskets for easy handling. I buy them at the second hand stores for next to nothing.

I've seen people use cartridge boxes and loading blocks for every stage when processing their cases. That would drive me absolutely up the wall as being so slow after using the baskets.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?