What Took Me So Long?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

What Took Me So Long?

Post by GoatGuy »

Had a table at a little "p-ant" gun show here three or 4 weekends ago. Had mostly higher end rifles, shotguns and pistol on my table. Also had a lot of other stuff (holsters, grips, scope, custom made hunting knives, older Accurate Rifle magazines, 250 grain .356 Winchester and Remington 12 gauge steel shot ammunition, etc., etc.). None of the 100-175 patrons seemed interested in any of my stuff (except the Burris 4X scope and a 20 round box of .45 Colt Hornady gummy tips).
Wandering around during a break from sitting on my hind end, I spotted a Savage 220A single shot, 3", full choke .410 on another guy's table. Very nice! Case hardening on bottom of receiver somewhat faded, but steel and wood in excellent condition. Long story shortened, we made a trade of some of my non-firearm stuff for his Savage.
First ever .410 of any kind for me. Have to say it's pretty much a fun little single shot scattergun. Shells are a somewhat pricey, but won't be using it for an afternoon of "pasture clays" and my gunsmith buddy is set up to reload 2 1/2" .410. Want it for some small game foraging. It's perfect for an old man like me prowling the squirrel woods here on my place.
Anyone else have affinity/use for the .410?
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What Took Me So Long?

Post by crs »

We want pix of the gun and squirrels you shoot.
Brings back lots of old memories.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

I use a stevens & h&r for mountain grouse 21/2" loaded with #9s works great for head shooting them, of the 4 kinds I only shoot the blue, ruffed grouse & ptarmigan the franklin tastes like liver to me. One of these days I'll find a small frame spanish sxs. danny
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Savage 24 22 long rifle over 410 is my favorite for cruising the logging roads for grouse. I have an old Lee loader in 410 to take care of my ammo...hate to pay $15 per box, when you can get 12 ga. Field loads for $5 or $6. Load 410s for around $4 per box. I have two Savage 24s gonna sell, one 22LR over 3" 20 ga, and the other is 22 mag over 3" 20 ga. Will post them in a coupla weeks.. Les
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

My first firearm was a single shot .410, I was 13 then and at 66 I'm still using a single shot .410 for squirrels, I have also taken more foxes with a .410 than any other gauge of shotgun.
In the UK we can still get 2" cartridges as well as 21/2" and 3" the 2" shells are great for knocking off pests around the garden, much better than my recently acquired 9mm flobert garden gun.
I even use a .410 gaugemate in my Stevens Model 94 16 gauge.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

GoatGuy wrote:

Anyone else have affinity/use for the .410 ?

Oh, yeah - I've had a .410 break-open single-shot (Mass Arms/H&R), a Spanish SxS, a Japanese O/U, and now a .410 Remington 11-48 autoloader.

I've always taken one along for a woods-walk during small game season, for potting targets of opportunity.

M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

When I was 12 my Dad bought me an Ithica sxs 410 for Christmas. The first thing I killed with it was a Canada goose. Since then I've used it for no telling how many squirrels, snakes, quail and doves. Still in my safe but now belongs to a grandson who is in the navy.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Might be interested in the .356 ammo if it is reasonable.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Since bird shot is usually the cheaper alternative, I'm sure cut shells and wax slugs work just as well for 410 as they do with 12g :)
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I've got an H&R with the shorter barrel. It doesn't point as well as the longer barreled one Jr. bought out from under me but it still makes a good garden gun. They kill a lot better than their small size would lead one to believe.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

It's alright, my world is still in balance, I still have no need or desire for a .410. Tho' if the right deal came along, I'd take one in a Winchester 101 4-barrel skeet set! :P :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Griff wrote:It's alright, my world is still in balance, I still have no need or desire for a .410. Tho' if the right deal came along, I'd take one in a Winchester 101 4-barrel skeet set! :P :P
The four barrel 101 skeet sets were done on the larger 12 gauge frame and the feel to the 28 and 410 lacks in my opinion . The better bet is the Winchester 101 3 barrel skeet set that's based on the 20 gauge frame , very lively in the hands .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

I really like the hammerless savage 220. I recently bought a 220a in 16 ga and it's a pretty sweet shooter. Had the choke opened up as it was shooting an 80% pattern at 40 yards with low brass 7.5s!
Also have a 220L-D in 12 ga that I cut down into a handy truck gun because I ruined the end of the barrel trying to shoot a flare out of it!!! Flare + full choke = a couple terrified college students holding the gun as far from our faces as possible while the end of the barrel turned every color of the rainbow while shooting sparks.

My dad has a model 24 in .22 over 410 and the 410 is really fun to shoot.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've always enjoyed the .410 and always have several around. My favorite these days is a Enfield No.1 MkIII that was converted by the Indian Gov't to a single shot. What a fun gun and has accounted for many Red Squirrels and other critters. There's a ton of fun specialty ammo out there fir the .410
Always wanted a sxs double. I've been looking at the Mossberg Mallard models.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

6pt-sika wrote:
Griff wrote:It's alright, my world is still in balance, I still have no need or desire for a .410. Tho' if the right deal came along, I'd take one in a Winchester 101 4-barrel skeet set! :P :P
The four barrel 101 skeet sets were done on the larger 12 gauge frame and the feel to the 28 and 410 lacks in my opinion . The better bet is the Winchester 101 3 barrel skeet set that's based on the 20 gauge frame , very lively in the hands .
Yeah but... I'd still only use the 12 gauge if I found it anyway! :twisted: Tho' the 3-barrel set is what my buddy had... and you're right... it was quite the fun gun! Back when we shot a LOT of skeet!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!