Savage 99 ca. 1952- No Can Do

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Savage 99 ca. 1952- No Can Do

Post by Shasta »

Being primarily a Winchester guy, I have never owned or shot a Savage Model 99. Some older 99's have caught my eye at gun shows over the years, but I just did not have enough interest to buy one.

I recently had the opportunity to acquire a very nice 1952 vintage 99 EG in 300 Savage caliber, probably 90% condition, complete with a Redfield tang sight. I liked the gun, especially the checkering and pistol grip. The tang sight was a real bonus. The rifle felt very good when I shouldered it. But then while I was getting the feel of it I realized something; I am left-handed, and while shouldering the rifle, there was no comfortable way for me to activate or release the little sliding safety catch located down low on the right side of the finger lever! It was too awkward to reach under the lever with my left hand, and the only other recourse was to drop the rifle from my shoulder and turn the right side up to get to the safety catch left-handed. That just would not do for me!

I know Savage 99's later switched to a tang safety, which is better suited for ambidextrous use, but for me, those later models lack the slim grace of the earlier schnabel forend versions. I think I will stick to my old Winchesters. The Winchester's exposed hammer and half-cock safety is very left-hander friendly! :D

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Savage 99 ca. 1952- No Can Do

Post by BigSky56 »

My hunting partner is a lefty and uses a 99 by rotating the gun about a 1/8 turn to the left and uses his thumb works fine. There is a after market tang safety that works along with the lever safety Ive seen pics of it thats a consideration to. danny
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

Shasta,
Don't know what to tell you. I'm a lefty also. I inherited my Sav. 99 from my Father. It was manufactured in 1941. Been shooting it pretty much all my life. It's a .250 Sav. Dad had very mild cast loads for that allowed him to use that rifle to begin my shooting/gun handling education very early instead of a .22.
In well over 50 yrs years...I have never considered the position of the safety to be an issue.
btw: I also have Dad's Win 71 as well....each has their own charm don't they...???
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Another lefty here. And not only the Savage 99 but most guns are made for right handed shooters. Never has been an issue with me as the brain somehow adapts. Keep it....its a short learning curve.------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

How much?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I just rotate the gun so the lever is pointing to the left and use my thumb, no problem at all.

Eric
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Old Savage wrote:How much?
Not for sale, a family gun being passed down. It's going to another family member who wants it. No room in my safe anyway! :D

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Shasta i found the same problem with my '52EG 250. But love the cartridge so much it aint going nowhere soon. Rather sell my '92 25WCF or 45/70 1st.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Reminds me of something my dad used to say about new ropes.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."