M1876 Winchester Sporting rifle.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

M1876 Winchester Sporting rifle.

Post by Dusty Texian »

ImageOne wk. from tomorrow Desert Mule deer season starts here in the Trans-Pecos of Tx. My Brother and I will be out there trying to get close enough for a shot ,as we are using bp. cartridge rifles. He his 1863 Sharps 45/70 conversion. And I will be using my Winchester 1876 Sporting rifle 45/75wcf cal. 28"obfm.Fitted with a Winchester mid range tang sight. My load for this gun is a soft cast lead bullet from the original mould, lubed with my home brew deer tallow- bees wax.Over 76.6 gr. Swiss 2ff bp. and a std. Win. primer in a Jamison case. In the past this load and rifle combo has dropped deer on the spot. If we have some luck I will post a pic. Here is the old rifle and its loading tools, circa 1889 late third model 1876 Winchester Sporting rifle.,,,,,DT
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: M1876 Winchester Sporting rifle.

Post by .45colt »

Just another old Winchester.......Wow. can't wait to see the results. Good Luck.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Man, you got some rockin' shootin' irons. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Very nice. Good luck on the hunt!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Dusty,
That is a neat vintage, historic Winchester Rifle! Best wishes for a successful hunt!

A close twin to your your '76 was on the cover of The Black Powder Cartridge News in 2003. Like yourself, the fellow used a bullet from an original Winchester mold over black powder. :D

"Shot at 124 yards with an original 1876 Winchester on .45-75 caliber. One shot. Bullet hit just forward of the elbow on the left side and cut the aorta at tha heart. Bullet lodged under the hide, low on the left shoulder. 70 grs of 2FG Elephant, card wad, 350 grain lead bullet cast from an original WInchester mold........"

Yes indeed! The ole' '76 can sure get the job done. :D

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

Hello w30wcf. Sorry for the delay replying ,have been chasing Wt. with my 9yr. old Grandson, for the past 5 days. He reminded me at that age you never sleep in or get out to early, or get tired .Youth a wonderful thing but Hard on an old man. Brylen is 9yr.old and this is his first yr. to get to hunt for big game. So you can imagine the excitement, by the way his choice for his first deer . A 1894 Winchester 30wcf, that his Mother took her first deer with 30+yr.ago. My mule deer hunt will start this wk. Season starts in the morning, but I will require a couple of days rest before my hunt will begin. Thanks for the Good Luck wish, and the pic. of Buck and his 1876. That looks like a fine hunt he had. If you need to know something about the Winchester 1876 He is the Man! Very Cool pic. If I am lucky enough to get close to a Desert Mule Deer I will post a pic. Hope You and yours have a Happy Thanksgiving ! Amigo,,,,,DT