Need cooking Help - Tomato Sauce or Paste

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Need cooking Help - Tomato Sauce or Paste

Post by BrianSH »

I've used both, but to me the paste seems better for thicker sauces, and has a sweeter flavor right out of the can.
For those with more experience than me, are there recipes where one is preferred over the other.

I'm not trying to cook Italian, but sometimes I'll add a can of one or the other to the slow cooker instead of fresh tomatoes.
- Brian
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Need cooking Help - Tomato Sauce or Paste

Post by Pete44ru »

IME, tomato paste gives the best results when a few tablespoons are cooked in the bottom of the pot until it starts to brown - usually in the moisture left after browning onions and/or suffrita (finely chopped carrots & celery) as a base for a stew of a chili.

I only use tomato sauce when making Chourico & (green) peppers, or Chourico & peas w/diced potatoes.

Hereabouts, spaghetti sauce is usually referred to as "gravy", and is tomato based with plenty of other aromatic spices.
It can get confusing, when somebody from this area goes walkabout, and forgets to specify "sauce" & gets a brown beef gravy.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I am once again awed at the scope of interests/threads on Paco Kelly's Leverguns! (And that is definitely not a sarcastic remark). I really enjoy the different interests discussed with a "Gun Guy's" slant. Everything from Ladies shooting in England to lever gun repairs and values to deciding between an AR or "tactical" bolt gun, to tomato paste (good in venison chili?). Thanks to all who participate... :D
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

mikld wrote:I am once again awed at the scope of interests/threads on Paco Kelly's Leverguns! (And that is definitely not a sarcastic remark). I really enjoy the different interests discussed with a "Gun Guy's" slant. Everything from Ladies shooting in England to lever gun repairs and values to deciding between an AR or "tactical" bolt gun, to tomato paste (good in venison chili?). Thanks to all who participate... :D

The online version of "Garden & Gun" magazine -- :lol:
----- Doug