OT - Help from turkey gurus, please.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Kismet
Levergunner 2.0
Location: New Hampshire (wishing I could move back West, darn women)

OT - Help from turkey gurus, please.

Post by Kismet »

I am going to do my first turkey hunt this season - very exciting stuff (I have been practicing turkey calls on my commute)! It starts May 3 here in NH. I live in a rural area and have plenty of land so fortunately I will be able to stay on either my land or friendly neighbors. I pass some nice big strutting gobblers most mornings b/c a guy down the road feeds them. A couple days ago I actually had to stop the car to let a Gobbler finish his bidness with a hen in the middle of the road. :shock:

Anyway, I need to a get a good turkey gun. I want to stay cheap, so I am looking at the Remington 870 or the Mossberg 535. Essentially I can get:
  • 1) 535 in full camo with a 24" & 28" barrel + a red dot scope for $299 (after $30 rebate) - shoots 2.75"-3.5"; or
    2) 870 with 24" barrel - camo only on stock and fore end for $269 (after $30 rebate) - shoots 2.75" or 3".
Thoughts? I know people love the 870, but are the extras on the 535 worth it? Will not having camo on the barrel and receiver make much difference?

Thanks, Michael in NH
"The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." -- John Steinbeck
Comal Forge
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Comal Forge »

I'd buy the Mossberg - they are shotgun people and make a superior product for the price.
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

I am a remington fan. I like those 870's!
I take it that you dont own another shotgun?
Break on through to the other side!!!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

No Guru here, but I don't think you can go wrong with either. The Mossbergs rattle my teeth a good bit more(the 3.5" shells will wake ya up in the mornin' boyo! :shock: ). They have aluminum recievers and are a lighter gun, while the Remington uses steel and dampens the recoil a slight bit more. Both the Remington and Mossbergs are good solid guns with dual action bars...ie very reliable. I've owned both and been happy with both. Buy the one that feels good to you.

PS: people have been killing stuff for a long time with that little bead on the end, and one of the joys of a shotgun is it's simplicity. The vent rib is an aid to lining up on the bead as well. I wouldn't feel the need for a scope at all, personally.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

I like to keep it simple, so no scopes on my turkey guns. I have killed most of my turkeys with a Remington 870 Express and 3 inch Federal #5s. I, myself, have no desire to shoot 3 1/2 magnums....those 3 inch turkey loads are all the recoil I care to deal with! Either brand is fine for s turkey gun. Since it is pointed at a stationary target, you don't have to be so concerned with fit. You don't have to have camo on your gun, but camo tape is cheap. My 870 is dead stock/no camo. My 11-97 is factory camo. If you call 'em in range a 20 gauge will work....especially with some of the newer high-performance turkey loads. I know a kid that killed a huge tom with a .410!
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

P.S. Here is something to pump you up for opening day! Sounds like you have some birds in the area...you have some fun times coming your way. :wink:
Image[/img]
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
joachim slim
Levergunner 2.0

turkey gun

Post by joachim slim »

either gun will be great. pick the one you like best and feels good to you. i prefer the remington 870. if its in the matt finish you dont have to worry much about the glare. i do not shoot 3 1/2" magnums. (i dont need the recoil) if ya call a turkey within 30 yds you should have no problems. i also dont like the extra full (or tighter) chokes some people use for turkey hunting. a good setup and NO movement on your part will increase your chance of getting the bird. if ya want to talk or ask more about turkey hunting, calls or other things. shoot me a p.m. I LOVE TURKEY HUNTING!

p.s. there is a web sight called Racks & Spurs
www.RacksandSpursClub.com
Bitmap
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bitmap »

I'd pick whichever feels and fits you best. It is easy to add camo to a gun. You can buy camo tape or camo covers that shrink to fit with the heat from a hair dryer. Another option is to buy a pack of the camo cloth and cut pieces to fit the gun and just tie it around the receiver and barrel. Burlap works, too, just like a ghillie suit.

I've found that inexpensive red dots are not always reliable. In my experience they use up the little 2032 batteries in a very short time. Also, if you are facing a rising or setting sun at just the wrong angle you sometimes get a reflection inside the red dot and you are looking at more than one dot in the scope.

I wouldn't worry as much about the difference in 3" vs. 3.5" as I would picking the one that fits you best. I don't think 3" vs. 3.5" will make much difference. You may lose a little range but I don't think it's a big deal. Pattern whatever you get with several different brands and loads from near contact distance out until the pattern gets so thin that you might miss.

ETA that the fit is not so important for hitting at wing shooting (sometimes you do get shots at them on the wing) as it is for comfort when shooting 3" or 3.5" loads. I'm not sure how to tell which will be most comfortable except to try to borrow one of each and try them.
95fan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 95fan »

I would get the 870. You can't go wrong with the old dependable remington.
A perfect day can only be achieved while hunting
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

95fan wrote:I would get the 870. You can't go wrong with the old dependable remington.
+1.True find the one that fits,but the 870 is ol'e reliable and has long term value. :wink:
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Scout2
Levergunner

Post by Scout2 »

Being left handed I prefer the top tang saftey of the Mossberg. The 24" barrel is much easier to handle in hunting situations. Instead of a red dot you might also want to look at the various rifle type fiber optic sights that are available, the ones by Truglo can't be beat.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I prefer the Remington 870 3" but the mossberg is a good gun too...
but you will need to buy the super full turkey choke...
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

H&R/NEF.

Cheap and effective.

(though the 10ga is heavy due to a weight in the stock.)

As to your question... i think the Remington is a better gun overall, but the Mossberg will be better suited for the job if you're getting a dedicated turkey gun.
Slow is just slow.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Cas is right about the H&R's. There's not much cheaper that offers that much quality. I have one of the new deluxe models with the vent rib that fits me to a "T". It also has interchangeable chokes.

Between the Remington and the Mossberg, I'd take the Remington for three reasons.

1) having had both the Remington feels more solid.
2) The Mossberg has a plastic triggerguard housing nowdays and I don't like plastic on my guns.
3) Several years ago I was talking to some people who shoot turkey shoots on an almost professional basis. All the top gunsmiths that I talked to in that field start with a Remington factory barrel to work their magic on.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

I have to go with Remington just for the "Pimp My Scattergun" factor. I have an 870 Express Magnum that I bought used for $200, I put a Speed Feed tactical Pistol grip 13 1/2" stock on it, a 7 round mag extension, had the barrel back bored and polished, installed some Tru-Glow sights, a Remington "Ventilater" choke tube, splashed on a little camo paint and Voila a turkey/coyote/house gun that looks, feels, and shoots great and for not much cash. About $300 total.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
Kismet
Levergunner 2.0
Location: New Hampshire (wishing I could move back West, darn women)

Post by Kismet »

Thanks for all the tips (and inspirational pictures)! I will definitely hold them both again before making a decision.

Michael in NH
"The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." -- John Steinbeck
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

I believe you can only take one bird in NH. Sooo..I don't see the great need for a second shot. Turkey hunting in the spring is a different type of hunting in that you are calling them in and waiting for the set up shot.

My dad and I use NEF single shots with scopes mounted for turkey. We both have 3 1/2" chambers and use no 5 shot. The 3 1/2" is nice to have if a bird hangs up at 40 yards or so. You can still take the bird at that range.
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

I have always been a Remington shotgun fan - that gets my vote. I hunt turkeys with a 870 super mag 3.5" 12 ga.