Beaver wars again...........

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Beaver wars again...........

Post by hightime »

Hard to shoot those buggers. Most of the first half of the summer they have had my road to the back forty flooded. I brought my tractor down and can dig out the dam in short order, but they rebuild fast. Since Sept. I've left the tractor there and have got the road leveled off again an, d kept the water level down. I have to make sure I wreck the dam at least once a week. I've made a couple late night attempts to shoot a few, not easy to do. I thought one night that me and my grandson got two and three rats, but the next day, I didn't see any floating.
Now my tractor front drive is breaking and I had to take it home. I think the beavers put shrapnel in my gear box. They might win.
I should keep the front of the tractor out of the water. I get carried away.
Early this week I brought down a 12 v winch and a Danforth style anchor. This worked pretty well. I took about a half hour to pull apart what they did in a couple days. Those humans are so destructive. When I left I put the anchor under the dam building site and yesterday the whole dam pulled out in one pull. Still I need to blast them, because I can't be there every week.

If you have ideas let me know.

Owen
flyfisher66048
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Beaver wars again...........

Post by flyfisher66048 »

Might try trapping and snaring those critters. Maybe find a trapper to come help you out if you are not interested. Traps continue to work even when you are not there.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Owen, yup, you need a trapper who knows his Conibears. Very efficient at removing the critters. By the way, not only are the pelts useful, but the rendered fat yields a nice oil -- and your cats and dogs will love the meat.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

those DAM BEAVERS...couldn't resist... :)
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Mass deforestation :?

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

They taste good - don't wast the meat!

You can snipe them if legal - just tear out the dam and wait until they get busy fixing it. The pelts make great hats and mittens and the meat makes supper . . .

Or, find a local trapper this winter - trappers are always happy to find someone who is willing to let them trap their property.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Nath wrote:Mass deforestation :?

N.
They do leave if there is no food source close to the water.
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

hightime wrote:Hard to shoot those buggers. Most of the first half of the summer they have had my road to the back forty flooded. I brought my tractor down and can dig out the dam in short order, but they rebuild fast. Since Sept. I've left the tractor there and have got the road leveled off again an, d kept the water level down. I have to make sure I wreck the dam at least once a week. I've made a couple late night attempts to shoot a few, not easy to do. I thought one night that me and my grandson got two and three rats, but the next day, I didn't see any floating.
Now my tractor front drive is breaking and I had to take it home. I think the beavers put shrapnel in my gear box. They might win.
Early this week I brought down a 12 v winch and a Danforth style anchor. This worked pretty well. I took about a half hour to pull apart what they did in a couple days. Those humans are so destructive. When I left I put the anchor under the dam building site and yesterday the whole dam pulled out in one pull. Still I need to blast them, because I can't be there every week.

Owen
Your wasting your time, Invest in some 330's, plenty of how to info on the net.

--------J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

Have some fun with some Tannerite! A little Shock And Awe campane!!!
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Unless the FishyGame Cops/.FedGov and the Envirogoons decide that you have no Right to maintain the property you Rent from them ("taxes"... remember) in the way you see fit.

Your Beavers may have more "Rights" than you do...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Brings to mind the " Dam beaver letter and reply " from Michigan DEQ :lol:

link here:

http://www.getipm.com/personal/dam.htm

Even snopes says it is a true correspondence
Phil
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

1894 wrote:Brings to mind the " Dam beaver letter and reply " from Michigan DEQ :lol:

link here:

http://www.getipm.com/personal/dam.htm

Even snopes says it is a true correspondence
Shut your dam mouth. :wink:

The flood of responses about that dam letter were nearly historical. It's a dam shame that some dam people can't get the dam concept.

It's none of their dam business what happens to the dam beavers (or deer, wolves, or whatever) on MY property.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

It's kinda' like , this corn is for birds and squirrels, any deer found eating it may be shot.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Can you buy the perforated plastic pipes they put in dams to keep the water flowing? Would easier than keep tearing the dam down. We had beavers up by the cabin that were always plugging the creek. The farmer cleared all the land and was able to get rid of them, tho would rather have the woods back.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

They are pretty good at figuring out where they are losing water and plugging it up.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

hightime wrote:Hard to shoot those buggers. Most of the first half of the summer they have had my road to the back forty flooded. I brought my tractor down and can dig out the dam in short order, but they rebuild fast. Since Sept. I've left the tractor there and have got the road leveled off again an, d kept the water level down. I have to make sure I wreck the dam at least once a week. I've made a couple late night attempts to shoot a few, not easy to do. I thought one night that me and my grandson got two and three rats, but the next day, I didn't see any floating.

Owen

Not to make light of your plight, but I couldn't help laughing. The way you describe it reminds me of a bugs bunny cartoon. :lol: Pretty soon you'll be packing the place with dynamite! Good luck on the war.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

jkbrea wrote:
hightime wrote:
Owen

Not to make light of your plight, but I couldn't help laughing. The way you describe it reminds me of a bugs bunny cartoon. :lol: Pretty soon you'll be packing the place with dynamite! Good luck on the war.
Caddy Shack :lol:
Click Click Boom
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Evening, shortly after sunset when it is still light enough to use iron sights, has always worked well for me. They start coming out around then, although I've watched them swim around in the middle of the day.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Yeah, I'm going to try again tomorrow night. Kirk, I'll use my 44-40 that you steered my straight on.

Owen
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

jkbrea wrote:Pretty soon you'll be packing the place with dynamite! Good luck on the war.
Blastex works good. It will keep the little buggers busy running all over creation gathering up the pieces

All seriousness aside, if you don't have a good source for blasting agents, just breach the dam and then pick them of when the come to repair it in the evenings.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

7.62 Precision wrote:
jkbrea wrote:Pretty soon you'll be packing the place with dynamite! Good luck on the war.
Blastex works good. It will keep the little buggers busy running all over creation gathering up the pieces

All seriousness aside, if you don't have a good source for blasting agents, just breach the dam and then pick them of when the come to repair it in the evenings.
Who needs blasting agents? Just use petrol and let the dam build up a vapor bubble.

Then you get a Dam FAE... and lots of burning wood raining down on you. :twisted:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

hightime wrote:Yeah, I'm going to try again tomorrow night. Kirk, I'll use my 44-40 that you steered my straight on.

Owen
A 44-40 will definitely do the job
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/