Matched pair of levers for training.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Matched pair of levers for training.

Post by Canuck Bob »

Recent research has popped up the concept that training with one gun is a good idea. So I decided my go to gun for everything unexpected is my Win 94 32 Special. Then I kept bumping into the concept of a training rifle roughly the same as the go to gun. Older authors from the days they wrote about shooting and hunting rather than market trends and gadgets suggested owning a man sized 22 that closely matched a guy's hunting rifle for fit and sights. They were usually talking bolt actions, they didn't get everything right!

The following seems self evident but apparently not to me. I took out my 9422 and compared it side by side with my 94. I was amazed to find they are very similar in fit and form to each other. Without any trying I have a matched pair of rifles, one 22 for fun and such. A centerfire that does everything I need. My Alberta assault rifle! I suspect the 39 is the same with Marlin levers.

Now I have no intention of selling everything and keeping only these two rifles.

This realization came just in time to save me scoping the 9422. That was planned but now a Lyman 66 is going on to match the 94 exactly.

How many folks do this or maybe don't worry about such nonsense?
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Matched pair of levers for training.

Post by Griff »

I just have more'n ONE Winchester 94! That way, recoil and everything matches the "go to" gun! Similar in concept as when I was an active cop... my cowboy loads were pretty much the same as my duty loads... that way, if I did get into a shooting scrape, the recoil wouldn't surprise me and cause a blip in performance!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BobM »

I think it's a great idea. I use AR15s more than any other rifle right now so I have them in 22LR, 223, and 308.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Canuck Bob wrote:Recent research has popped up the concept that training with one gun is a good idea...
Older authors from the days they wrote about shooting and hunting rather than market trends and gadgets suggested owning a man sized 22 that closely matched a guy's hunting rifle for fit and sights...
You mean like this pair? And they're Leverguns to boot!
Marlin 1894C - 39M 01 (Medium).JPG
Good luck on your quest.

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Those matching Marlins sure look very much like my matching Winchesters not to mention some nice looking rifles. Don't see the straight stock models as often and seldom so nicely matched! I must admit to slightly preferring my pistol grip 444S to my Winchester straight stocks. That is undoubtedly from long familiarity not any inherent advantage. This little W94 is lightning fast to handle!!

It is time to get serious about D&Ting my 9422 for the steel 66 sight in my safe. It seems sensible to have a good smith do it once the hunting season rush is over.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

My Ruger 96's are almost identical in weight, and size... 44 Mag, 22 WMR, 22 LR, & 17 HMR (not shown).... 8)

I just wish they made 'em in 45 Colt or 357 Mag (or Max!) or 32-20, or 44-40, or 38-40, or. . . . 480 Ruger. . .
Last edited by AJMD429 on Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Well, I do have both a Model 39 and a Model 1895 GS. But "matched" would be stretching it. they are pretty much at both ends of the levergun cartridge spectrum.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

I'm getting close . My hunting rifles all 'kinda match' . They all fit and feel the same.

Just got a 39A golden ( made in '57 ) for practice , and it fits , shoulders , points the same as the center fires. 24" barrel doesn't quite match the 20" barrels on the other three but I'm calling it close enough when I get a lyman 66 sight on the receiver :)
Phil
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Bob,

I've had a 9422 since 1977. As you said it is a perfect match for the Win 94 center fire carbines.

I can't think of a better pair of rifles to have if a person chose to keep only two. I also can't think of why anyone would choose to do such a thing, but then I can't run a slide rule either :roll: .

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

AJMD429 wrote:My Ruger 96's are almost identical in weight, and size... 44 Mag, 22 WMR, 22 LR, & 17 HMR (not shown).... 8)

I just wish they made 'em in 45 Colt or 357 Mag (or Max!) or 32-20, or 44-40, or 38-40, or. . . . 480 Ruger. . .
You can add .30 Carbine and 22 hornet to that list. Or 41 Mag even.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Wow, those Ruger levers are nice. Thanks guys now my wish list just expanded!