Why do guides use surgical gloves when skinning in the field

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Why do guides use surgical gloves when skinning in the field

Post by daisygordoninc »

Last year in BC I noticed my guide wore surgical gloves when skinning the animals we killed
in the field. What would they be protecting themselves from ? I have skinned animals my
whole life and have never thought I needed to protect my hands. Has anyone seen this before?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Why do guides use surgical gloves when skinning in the f

Post by AJMD429 »

There are doubtless some infections we know about that are rare, but no fun to get, from exposure to blood or other body fluids from animals, and some we've yet to discover. In addition, if your own skin has breaks or scratches, you may trigger allergic reactions if exposed to 'foreign' proteins like during field dressing.

Certainly there are not as many organisms that can 'cross-over' from animals to humans, as there would be if exposed to that much blood and guts from a fellow human, but too many unknowns and not that big a deal to slip on a pair of five-cent gloves.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

This must be a fairly new practice, I have not seen it before.
That makes sense however.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

If it is a chest shot deer, there is a ton of blood in the chest cavity when you field dress it. Gloves mean you can peel em off and not have to wash hands, or pack towels to clean up with.
If it's a neck shot (my preference) there is no blood in the cavity and no gloves are needed.
If it's a pig, they have multiple bugs that can get ya, brucelosis, trichinosis, and killyourassinosis.
Gascozark
Levergunner

Post by Gascozark »

I wear them when I skin Whitetail Deer during our deer season here in Missouri. I guess I have some sort of allergy to the hair on the deer or something that's on the hair. If I don't wear the gloves, my hands and wrists get very itchy.
It's also pretty nice to be able to peel a glove off if you need a clean hand for something, without being forced to stop and wash up.
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

I have been wearing gloves for years mainly for ease up of cleanup. Due to having to pack animals out for several miles, it may be a bit before I can get to some soap.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I've used them for years when dressing deer. Easy clean-up is my reason.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

M. M. Wright wrote:I've used them for years when dressing deer. Easy clean-up is my reason.
+!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Tycer wrote:
M. M. Wright wrote:I've used them for years when dressing deer. Easy clean-up is my reason.
+!
+2. Plus, I don't transfer my bacteria to the meat.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Griff wrote:
Tycer wrote:
+!
+2. Plus, I don't transfer my bacteria to the meat.
+ More E^!
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Tycer wrote:
+!
Yep. And they are so cheap, there's no reason not to use them. Beats getting blood all over my gun and steering wheel. With CWD and Blue tongue and whatever the disease of the day is, why take any chance whatsoever? I keep 2 or 3 pair in an old WW II compass pouch on my belt. I've received much gratitude when giving a pair to someone who didn't come prepared.

I'm still going to wash my hands with soap and water as soon as I get a chance, but that might be a while. And I don't have to scrub to hard to get the blood out of my cuticle and out from under my fingernails....because it isn't there.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Put me in the easy clean up group. Add to it that my hands come out dry or at least drier, so when it is brutal cold long after sunset on a January night, they warm up faster too. No reason not to use them.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

when I skin predators I wear them never know if rabies is floating around , a buddy was cleaning a pheasants about 5 years ago and poked himself with a broken sharp bird bone was tested at a annual physical tested positive for west nile he never out and out got sick just felt kinda puny for a couple weeks. danny
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Gascozark wrote:It's also pretty nice to be able to peel a glove off if you need a clean hand for something, without being forced to stop and wash up.
That too...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I also like to know when the blood is mine. The Glove gives you an extra layer for a properly sharp knife to cut through, and if there's blood IN the glove it's probably a good bet it's yours...

I also come at it from this angle... They make OB gloves for Calving. Placental Fluid may be pretty slimy, but it ain't excreta.

Why wouldn't you wear gloves for disemboweling?
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I also use them when working on greasy stuff, like oil changes and lube jobs.....for the same, easy clean up, reason.
For field dressing I buy Nylon gloves that are several mil thick. Very hard to tear, even on purpose. Otherwise a rib will nick it and you might as well not have a glove on. Reminds me I need to restock. Bow season starts in 3 weeks and then it will be hunting season until January :D :D :D :D :D :D
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

People always asked me why the Nitrile gloves I bought for myself to use as an EMT were Black and not the typical cream or blue...

It's because it doesn't show the blood as dramatically.

Believe it or not, if you are teaching a newbie how to Gut, some find the chore easy enough to look at but blow a headgasket when they see their hands covered in blood.

Black Surgical Gloves fix that problem.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

There are some pretty nasty infections you can get from messing with some animals like bear, seals, pigs, etc.

I wear gloves now, if I can, especially with bear. I know some people who got pretty messed up.

I had a guy who was teaching a first aid course one time say that they always considered the skin of the hands to be broken, whether you notice it or not. You should always assume you have broken skin.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

7.62 Precision wrote:...

I had a guy who was teaching a first aid course one time say that they always considered the skin of the hands to be broken, whether you notice it or not. You should always assume you have broken skin.

EMT 101. BSI. (Body Substance Isolation) My cuticles usually look like I fed my fingers to a meat grinder...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I read in RMEF that it was recommended when dressing out an elk because of possible unknown blood diseases and Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) even though there is no proof it has affected humans. I guess better safe than sorry. To be honest, I never use them.
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

I do it all the time to keep my hands warm. When it is 20 degrees and the wind is blowing, wet hands are COLD. Dry hands are much warmer.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

my friend and Alaskan guide Brandon Maes filleting my king (the fillets were 12 lbs)

he never took his gloves off

here's a CDC Alert on feral hogs
http://www.cdc.gov/brucellosis/pdf/bruc ... unters.pdf
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

When Filleting, I didn't wear surgical gloves... I wore Kevlar or woven metal. Fillet Knives are not fun when they meet the meat of your palm...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

fantastic looking fillets.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

it looked pretty good before, too
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

A cousin of mine got a pretty nasty infection from a whitetail deer. He nicked his hand, so a glove probably wouldn't have helped, but the his whole hand swelled up and he had to go to be put on antibiotics to clear it up.
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Here is a significant understatement. That's a hell of a fish.
bulldog1935 wrote:it looked pretty good before, too
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

JB wrote:A cousin of mine got a pretty nasty infection from a whitetail deer. He nicked his hand, so a glove probably wouldn't have helped, but the his whole hand swelled up and he had to go to be put on antibiotics to clear it up.
Forgot about this...my BIL who has ranched in Montana his entire life, wears gloves when handling wild game. It seems he reacts to the blood in an allergy-like fashion. Pronghorn blood gets him the worst, but mule deer affects him, too. One of his kids has the same reaction, but the other does not.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

fwiw, surgical gloves don't take up much space in you pocket or field kit. You can put a half-dozen in a ziplock bag, squeeze the air out they'll disappear in any field bag, but be there when you need them.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I've been using wet-wipes to clean up afterward, but might try surgical gloves. I don't touch any varmints with the Mange.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

When Jr and I took our advanced bowhunter class put on by the state they had a fellow come in to talk about care of game after the shot. He was a taxidermist so he could tell what he needed to make a good mount as well as taking care to make sure the meat stayed good. He brought in pictures of his hand after a bone chip from a hog scratched him while field dressing. He got an infection in the hand that caused it to swell twice it's normal size. E.R. had to slit the skin to relieve the pain and pressure. He had a long and painful recovery. It made believer out of me. Your call.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

In My job as a Meat cutter we are required to where cut resistant gloves under plastic throwaway single use gloves. long ago in the dark days when I started the job there were no cut-proof or plastic gloves to be had. blood poisoning and bad infections were a common thing. we were always getting small cuts and no one would give it second thought, put a band aid on it and get back to work. I had blood poisoning twice. cutting chicken parts with a knife was the worst. most of the stores then were filthy...... today the stores are extremely clean .
The cut resistant gloves are available just about everywhere as are plastic or surgical gloves. If I am going hunting the cut/ and plastic gloves always go with Me.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Don't know if it's necessary or not, but I've done it for years. First to keep all the gunk off my hands, and second I guess it does provide some protection against blood borne diseases. Not sure, but their are probably a few that can move from one species to another. Cheap insurance if nothing else.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

A friend of mine got poked by a turkey bone while claning a bird and got a nasty infection. His hand was twice normal size.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

ndcowboy wrote:I do it all the time to keep my hands warm. When it is 20 degrees and the wind is blowing, wet hands are COLD. Dry hands are much warmer.
This is actually the reason I first started wearing gloves - sometimes it's -20 degrees when we are hunting.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

.45colt wrote: The cut resistant gloves are available just about everywhere as are plastic or surgical gloves. If I am going hunting the cut/ and plastic gloves always go with Me.
I need to get cut-resistant gloves for cutting both game and fish - it is a really good idea. I have not yet been cut really bad on the hand while cutting animals or fish, but growing up in a commercial fishing village and being around subsistence hunting all my life, I have know a tone of people who got serious injuries to the hands, often well out of town on a boat or in the bush.

However, cut resistant gloves would not have helped with this:

Pegged the femur, and it is still stiff and aches sometimes almost a year later. I still have cool bloodstains on my boot, though!
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Blood is stupid hard to wash off in large quantities. Wear some gloves.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Gloves would hardly block all the blood I get on me. Unless of course they are the type you use to preg check a cow!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

horsesoldier03 wrote:Gloves would hardly block all the blood I get on me. Unless of course they are the type you use to preg check a cow!
OBKits are cheap enough at your local CoOp... I sell them (to CoOps) by the case... :wink:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Gallo Pazzesco
Levergunner

Post by Gallo Pazzesco »

daisygordoninc wrote:Last year in BC I noticed my guide wore surgical gloves when skinning the animals we killed
in the field. What would they be protecting themselves from ? I have skinned animals my
whole life and have never thought I needed to protect my hands. Has anyone seen this before?
I do believe I remember reading somewhere or seeing a show somewhere a year or two ago where there was some sort of disease going around killing large game .... that could be transmitted to humans. It wasn't tularemia or chagas but it was something along those lines. Check out this link: https://www.avma.org/public/Health/Page ... nters.aspx

But this show, I think it was a TV show, in particular, was addressing a particularly virulent strain of something that's been going around ... blood borne. They sent someone from disease control to where one herd was completely decimated and I remember the guy's face after he found out it was what it was. I just cannot remember what it was.
What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
2/325 PIR, 1/509 ABCTImage4/325 ABCT, Master Parachutist
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

FWIW, I not only like to use "Surgical Gloves", while cleaning, but also Surgical Scalpels. I really like the Havalon Piranta pocket knife as it uses standard Scalpel Blades and is therefore insanely sharp... and never needs resharpening (blades are about .22 each - and STERILE). It's not the best on hide, but for cutting out organs without slicing them open....
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!