Armslist--am I the only one who swore off this site?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Armslist--am I the only one who swore off this site?

Post by Mich Hunter »

Rant on---

I have litterly given up on Armslist for the rest of my days. What is with that site that attracts the idiots, lowballers and occasional creeps? I would love to keep my purchases local but when you are a dealer or private seller and are listing your items for hundreds more than MSRP, do you really think you are going to stay in business long? I just don't get it.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Armslist--am I the only one who swore off this site?

Post by ollogger »

The site makes me wonder also, sometimes it looks to good to be true, but awhile back
a guy had 117 pieces of new 25-35 brass for 28 bucks, well I took his deal & in 3 or 4 days
the new brass got to me & I was as happy as if I was smart :lol:

ollogger
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I gave up on it months ago.
I looked at several rifles I was interested in and even inquired about a few.
Flakes and scammers, all.
I asked about a like new Browning SRC and all the idiot could ask was how I wanted to pay for it. Never crossed his little theiving mind that he had to answer my questions for me to even be interested. Pretty sure he would have wanted me to wire the money to Nigeria.
After 3 or 4 guns in a row turned out to be scams (and Armslist never removed the listings) I won't even waste my time clicking on a link to the site.

I also feel the same about Halifax. I've asked about a couple of their rifles and the never respond. Not about to click "purchase" with that kind of service.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Don't touch arms list. I saw a statistic once on the number of ads that are scams, and while I don't remember the statistic, it was more than half.

You know the guys from Nigeria who want you to take payments and transfer money for them? These are the guys listing on arms list.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

I don't doubt it. I've had a person leave me hanging once he realized I required an ID to sell and another guy could mysteriously text but never receive actual phone calls or receive emails even though he was sending them. There was too much wrong with the whole transaction so I cut him loose. A third I got initial contact from said he'd meet me in an hour but his phone contact failed as well--more ringing but never pick up. How am I supposed to ID you on site?. Needless to say I didn't rush out to the appointed meeting.

My rule of thumb is if you fail at basic communications, then there's something wrong and I shouldn't do business with you.

Having said that, even Backpage has been lowballer hell for me lately. I think part of the deal is the pendulum is swinging back to that of a buyer's market and people think they're entitled to a $50-100 discount off of what you list whether you sell at a fair price or not. I've given up being surprised at somebody demanding a discount even though my ad features the word "firm". I've also grown somewhat wary of any email that appears to have come from south of the border... Not through prejudice, but experience. They just never pan out.

Any suggestions other than backpage or armslist?
I usually don't have anything worth my time on gunbroker.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

I guess it depends on what type of seller you are working with. I see plenty of listings here on the St. Louis site that clearly have enough wrong to make me steer clear. But we get quite a few listings from small dealers and pawn shops out of the metro area that are trying to lure money out from the city. I've had more than a few very positive experiences with a couple of these. I've also done well with the couple of guns I've bought and sold myself. But I don't doubt the problems others have had. Anything this public is bound to bring out the bad apples. Craig's same thing.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Panzercat wrote:
My rule of thumb is if you fail at basic communications, then there's something wrong and I shouldn't do business with you.

I think part of the deal is the pendulum is swinging back to that of a buyer's market and people think they're entitled to a $50-100 discount off of what you list whether you sell at a fair price or not.

Exactly. There are a lot of trading pages on Facebook. People think they are going to trade a 200 hi point for a 800 Browning X-bolt in an even swap. Too much watching "Barter Kings."
And if you were to list that 800 rifle with a 400 price, some idiot would lowball you with a 200 offer. My biggest peeve is people who post "What's your bottom dollar?" Sheez.... Have the fortitude to talk on the phone or FTF and negotiate. Then there are the ones who you make a legitimate offer to, and they never answer yes or no. They want to wait a week for other offers and then come back and see if you're still hanging in the wind. No, I already bought something else. And once they didn't reply, they failed the basic communication test.

Then there are the ones who have their wife post for them on FB, and you try to inquire about the gun though her as a third party. Those never go well. And the ones who list a gun for 650 cash or 800 trade :? What?

I've got to where on Gunbroker, if there is any negative feedback I won't buy from that person. Unless the one negative they have is from someone with lots of negative feedback.

Makes me enjoy gun shows (small town ones, not mega shows) even more.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

vancelw wrote:And if you were to list that 800 rifle with a 400 price, some idiot would lowball you with a 200 offer. My biggest peeve is people who post "What's your bottom dollar?".
All of which seem to be more rampant than usual. It's taken on a pretty rude and demeaning turn. I'm to the point where I'll just sit on my sales and wait until Hillary announces her candidacy.

But back to the topic-- Yeah, Armslist seems to have a huge failure rate IMO, but the lowballer epidemic is pretty much everywhere.
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

I must differ with you gentlemen.I have used Armslist with great success both as a seller and as a buyer.
All posting sites have a certain amount of flakes I guess but I have yet to run across one on Armslist.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

vancelw wrote:I've got to where on Gunbroker, if there is any negative feedback I won't buy from that person. Unless the one negative they have is from someone with lots of negative feedback.
Well then don't bother to bid any of my auctions !

I have I think 6 negative feedbacks out of 1500 . Four of those were people wanting to whittle the price after the fact while the other two were legit . In both the other instances we'd sold the item in the shop and forgotten to kill the auction online .

And you know I should not discriminate as far as buyers are concerned , I understand everyone wants to get as much for their buck as they can . But without a doubt all the PITA buyers we've had that wanted to whittle prices were all buying items that were $150 or less . We have sold a bunch of items in the $2000-9000 range and NONE of those folks ever complained about anything !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

6pt-sika wrote:
vancelw wrote:I've got to where on Gunbroker, if there is any negative feedback I won't buy from that person. Unless the one negative they have is from someone with lots of negative feedback.

I have I think 6 negative feedbacks out of 1500 .
Trust me, I won't. Life is too short and there are too many other guns to buy to deal with drama on the internet.

There would actually be no need for me to purchase from you if you're a dealer. My LGS can find me anything I can't find for myself and he's very pleasant to work with. I support local business wherever I can and will definitely opt to get my hands on a firearm before purchasing it if It's possible.
The LGS also answers emails, texts, and FB messages very quickly. Most Gunbroker sellers (dealers and stores) won't, which means they fail my 1st trust test.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

vancelw wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:

I have I think 6 negative feedbacks out of 1500 .
Trust me, I won't. Life is too short and there are too many other guns to buy to deal with drama on the internet.

There would actually be no need for me to purchase from you if you're a dealer. My LGS can find me anything I can't find for myself and he's very pleasant to work with. I support local business wherever I can and will definitely opt to get my hands on a firearm before purchasing it if It's possible.
The LGS also answers emails, texts, and FB messages very quickly. Most Gunbroker sellers (dealers and stores) won't, which means they fail my 1st trust test.
Thanks glad to know I won't do business with you !

I would say 95% of what I sell are used or no longer made items anyway . So your local dealer can't get what I have to sell from his distributers 8)
Last edited by 6pt-sika on Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

That's why I find them myself.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I liquidated a bunch of "excess inventory" over the winter with Armslist --- it wasnt too bad -- i already have a storage facility to meet people at rather than meeting them at my house

Low-ballers were interesting, --- as well as the people who say they are going to meet you , then turn off their phone --- but all in all, it was positive

I guess i wrongly assumed though that "no 4473" for private purchase would command a small premium --- i was lowballed at times in a hideous fashion and several times, i just got short and told the caller to "F-off and me when he was serious"

I also told guys a few times to go buy their guns at Bass Pro or Wal Mart

------ I'll go on record as saying i dont particularly like to dicker much , --- whether for cars or for guns . I try to hammer out a price online for a new vehicle so i only have to finalize it when i walk through the dealers door --last 2 purchases of that sort have taken max 35-45 minutes - not 5 hours

--- same with guns - if we talk about a price on a commodity gun (Rem 700 BDL or 870 HD shotty , -- Rock Island 1911, 10/22 variant. etc ) -- please do not show up for the meet'n' greet and try to hammer home another 50 bucks in savings --------- especially, as i said, for an under the table cash transaction with no 4473 (that i had to fill out) for something that can pretty easilly be had at a local establishment

The stuff i was selling was in the 3- 5- 700 dollar range and that attracts a different individual than the type who is looking at vintage leverguns and old Colts though
---- had some punk literally doing mental calculations over 25 frickin bucks after he drove 45 miles to meet and look at the hardware (on a cheaper Remington 243 i had listed for $425) ---- dipstick

Okay -- since i have been writing this thread response and remember all the nerds i dealt with , i guess my luck with AL has been about 60% -- not exactly good ------

Those are the type of chump pieces of stuff who leave a 2 dollar tip at a steak place after they have a great meal and 6 beers -- and i wish they were at the bottom of the ocean with the rest of the nerds like that
----- Doug
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Streetstar wrote:I liquidated a bunch of "excess inventory" over the winter with Armslist --- it wasnt too bad -- i already have a storage facility to meet people at rather than meeting them at my house

Low-ballers were interesting, --- as well as the people who say they are going to meet you , then turn off their phone --- but all in all, it was positive

I guess i wrongly assumed though that "no 4473" for private purchase would command a small premium --- i was lowballed at times in a hideous fashion and several times, i just got short and told the caller to "F-off and me when he was serious"

I also told guys a few times to go buy their guns at Bass Pro or Wal Mart

------ I'll go on record as saying i dont particularly like to dicker much , --- whether for cars or for guns . I try to hammer out a price online for a new vehicle so i only have to finalize it when i walk through the dealers door --last 2 purchases of that sort have taken max 35-45 minutes - not 5 hours

--- same with guns - if we talk about a price on a commodity gun (Rem 700 BDL or 870 HD shotty , -- Rock Island 1911, 10/22 variant. etc ) -- please do not show up for the meet'n' greet and try to hammer home another 50 bucks in savings --------- especially, as i said, for an under the table cash transaction with no 4473 (that i had to fill out) for something that can pretty easilly be had at a local establishment

The stuff i was selling was in the 3- 5- 700 dollar range and that attracts a different individual than the type who is looking at vintage leverguns and old Colts though
---- had some punk literally doing mental calculations over 25 frickin bucks after he drove 45 miles to meet and look at the hardware (on a cheaper Remington 243 i had listed for $425) ---- dipstick

Okay -- since i have been writing this thread response and remember all the nerds i dealt with , i guess my luck with AL has been about 60% -- not exactly good ------

Those are the type of chump pieces of stuff who leave a 2 dollar tip at a steak place after they have a great meal and 6 beers -- and i wish they were at the bottom of the ocean with the rest of the nerds like that
You mention several valid reasons I no longer sell firearms on forums like this or the one this thread is about !

Tire kickers are the worst in my opinion . On forums most guys are gonna want to trade you and or beat the price down . And to be honest I don't blame them , however I get tired of emailing people that this or that does not intrest me . Especially when the bottom line is they most likely won't buy anyway .

I will not sell a gun to someone without them doing the back ground check . Well that is unless in one of the guys in my circle of shooting friends at home . It just isn't worth the risk and you never know when an ATF guy may be trying to set you up . While I could sell my personal stuff face to face with no paperwork here in VA I most certainly couldn't do that with actual shop items .

It also amazes me the line some people will give you about how junky your item for sale is and how great their junk is they wish to trade for 125% of what it's worth . A lot of them get really really perturbed when I tell them I will only give them 50% of what I value their trade item . I also then tell them I cannot trade them full value and expect to make any profit ! But a good many still take it personally and generally I don't want what they wish to trade anyway for resale or to keep .
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

6pt-sika wrote:It also amazes me the line some people will give you about how junky your item for sale is and how great their junk is they wish to trade for 125% of what it's worth . A lot of them get really really perturbed when I tell them I will only give them 50% of what I value their trade item . I also then tell them I cannot trade them full value and expect to make any profit ! But a good many still take it personally and generally I don't want what they wish to trade anyway for resale or to keep .
Heh, forgot about the ninja traders.

Some moron wanted to trade me a snub nose .38 for my pistol, saying that it was worth four hundred and he'd throw in another hundred of cash... Nevermind the ad said "no trades". When that didn't work, he offered four hundred cash. Once again, the ad says "$500 Firm" and I repeat that too. Then he goes off on this tirade about how he could add another $500 and just buy a Kimber. While true, we both know he's fishing here because he can't and that his snubbie isn't selling either. Even my wife got upset at him and told him off :D

Another guy tried to convince me he thought he was being fair with his lowball offer and could somehow get the same model of pistol for the price he quoted. Again, why are even talking to me if that's the case? I suggested he do so.

I mean, people need to at least try to sound intelligent if they're going to do this stuff.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Panzercat wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:It also amazes me the line some people will give you about how junky your item for sale is and how great their junk is they wish to trade for 125% of what it's worth . A lot of them get really really perturbed when I tell them I will only give them 50% of what I value their trade item . I also then tell them I cannot trade them full value and expect to make any profit ! But a good many still take it personally and generally I don't want what they wish to trade anyway for resale or to keep .
Heh, forgot about the ninja traders.

Some moron wanted to trade me a snub nose .38 for my pistol, saying that it was worth four hundred and he'd throw in another hundred of cash... Nevermind the ad said "no trades". When that didn't work, he offered four hundred cash. Once again, the ad says "$500 Firm" and I repeat that too. Then he goes off on this tirade about how he could add another $500 and just buy a Kimber. While true, we both know he's fishing here because he can't and that his snubbie isn't selling either. Even my wife got upset at him and told him off :D

Another guy tried to convince me he thought he was being fair with his lowball offer and could somehow get the same model of pistol for the price he quoted. Again, why are even talking to me if that's the case? I suggested he do so.

I mean, people need to at least try to sound intelligent if they're going to do this stuff.

Yes -- and i could be wrong, but as i alluded to in my post earlier --- YOU were the one to do the 4473 on the gun, --- and if it is a local FTF transaction, --- you are giving the buyer a break by selling it to him with just his id (although you can sell it through a dealer too if you'd like)

I may be old fashioned but i value a no paperwork transaction a little bit because i call b-s on the .gov not keeping tabs on 4473's --- they have a running tally of anyone doing the buying anytime one is called in ---- that said, i sold a couple of Glocks and defense type shotguns recently through a dealer (but i advertised them on AL) - just because i was paranoid --- but a levergun, muzzleloader or bolt rifle? -- forget about it

Not to mention tax in most areas of the country hovering dangerously close to 10% and if you have a gun with less than 50 or 100 rounds through it -- you are usually absorbing the tax you paid too !
----- Doug
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I contacted one seller who had several firearms listed at super dirt cheap prices. Even though he had my state listed, it turns out he wasn't in my state and all three firearms were amazingly still available even after having been listed several days. There were too many red flags and I received an email from Armslist later stating the ads had been pulled.

My selling experience wasn't much better. I list a rifle at what I feel is a fair price only to receive emails with "I'd like to trade you my Bushmaster AR15. I value it at $1,500" or "I have a Remington 870 Express for trade. I would like $400 out of it." I finally had to put "no trades" to keep away the nut cases.