Winchester Model 64 219 Zipper

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Winchester Model 64 219 Zipper

Post by Barcelona Rick »

My best friend has asked me to sell his Winchester Model 64 219 Zipper. It's serial number is 11290XX which I believe dates to 1940. It is the standard rifle 26" barrel and has factory bolt peep sight with the rear sight slot blanked...all original. Wood is good with one small dent smaller than a pencil eraser in the butt stock. There are no extra holes. Screw heads are all perfect. The rifle has very good bluing on the barrel. The receiver bluing is faint and predominately patina on both sides. Bore looks good. Lever has some surface rust as does the receiver in places. I do not see any serious pitting. The wood could use a good cleaning but has no cracks. Steel butt plate is patina in very good shape. He also has 2 full boxes of Remington 56 grain Mushroom Bullet Kleanbore factory ammo plus a half box (10 cartridges) of the same plus a full box of Winchester Super Speed 56 grain hollow point factory ammo. I do not have a camera so I am just looking for ball park estimates. I am considering a good cleaning of the wood and a good cleaning of the receiver and lever. I trust you opinions...and guidance...

rick
wm
Senior Levergunner

Re: Winchester Model 64 219 Zipper

Post by wm »

It is outside my expertise but I do know that is a rare and highly desirable firearm. I would let any collector handle any in depth cleaning.......any real collector will not be turned off by a little honest dust or grime and sometimes over enthusiastic cleaning can remove some desirable patina. I've heard this complaint often from friends who are serious collectors who turn up a gem at a flea market or pawn shop.

But I caution you to take my advice with a grain of salt as I said I am certainly not any sort of expert. Just an opinionated PIA according to those close to me.
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

I saw one on the net with a hight S/N.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =436633669
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
65bee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 65bee »

Having owned a half-dozen for so of the 64 Zippers over the years, I can tell you they are a great and fun gun - and very scarce to find, especially in unaltered condition. I would hazard an educated guess that at least half of them were drilled & tapped for a scope mount at some point in time. The pre-war versions are to be preferred to the last ones assembled after the war from left-over parts, which don't exhibit the quality of the earlier ones. I have owned both types. WM is right about the cleaning part. I would also advise you to leave any major cleaning to the next owner. An over-cleaned collectible gun is a real turn-off to a knowledgeable buyer. Honest grime on an old gun is much preferred. As far as value, based on your description, I would peg it anywhere from $2,500. to $4,000. That is for a genuine UNALTERED gun - no extra holes, refinished stocks, buggered screws, etc. Shouldn't have any problem finding a buyer.