Poppies at the Tower

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Poppies at the Tower

Post by perry owens »

As part of the commemoration of the 100th anniversary of World War 1 the moat of the Tower of London is gradually being filled with ceramic poppies over a 4-month period. When completed on November 11th there will be a total of 888,246, one for every member of the commonwealth forces killed in action.

People who had relatives killed in action can apply to have their name read out at the nightly sundown roll of honour. We are hoping to get this for the wife's great uncle, who died at Amiens, aged 17.
The poppies were not made in China - they were hand made by a group of British artists. After the event they will be sold off to raise money for various military charities.

Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Poppies at the Tower

Post by gamekeeper »

Thank you for posting Perry, I had not seen this before.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Fabulous. Visually stunning.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Perry,

I saw a blip on Face Book about this a week or so ago but no details. Didn't see anything on the news here. Thanks for posting the details.
It's good to remember those lost in past conflicts. I just wish we as humans could learn from it and stop the wars. I guess I'm dreaming.

As for the Tower of London I always pictured it as a tall narrow tower. This is the first pic I've seen of it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

J Miller wrote:Perry,

I just wish we as humans could learn from it and stop the wars. I guess I'm dreaming.

As for the Tower of London I always pictured it as a tall narrow tower. This is the first pic I've seen of it.

Joe
Joe,
Next year will mark the first time since 1914 that British forces have not been engaged in military action somewhere in the world. The "War to end wars" didn't quite work out for us.

Perry Owens
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

perry owens wrote:

I just wish we as humans could learn from it and stop the wars. I guess I'm dreaming.

Joe
Joe,
Next year will mark the first time since 1914 that British forces have not been engaged in military action somewhere in the world. The "War to end wars" didn't quite work out for us.

Perry Owens
Perry,

I'm glad to hear that. Maybe this not going to war will catch on over here ... no that is a fantasy.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

perry owens wrote:

Joe
Joe,

Perry Owens
Perry sorry to say that will not be true as we are teamed up to hunt ISIS now with your and our Special Ops. Really enjoyed my time with them in Cyprus, Iraq, and Afghanistan. Thanks for the photo.
It is not the critic who counts
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Poppies at the Tower-Update

Post by perry owens »

We were fortunate enough to have the wife's great uncle's name entered on the Roll of Honour read out nightly at the Tower. We went up to pay our respects and I made a short video of the simple ceremony. It's on my YouTube channel amongst the shooting stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOdooWq ... 6YmUZJNlGA

Perry Owens
Gascozark
Levergunner

Post by Gascozark »

Very sobering tribute.

The WWI Memorial in Kansas City has a similar theme using poppies.
Each visitor's journey begins with a surreal walk across a glass-floored bridge. A lush field of 9,000 red poppies lies below, each flower representing 1,000 military deaths.
It is a very nice memorial and museum. If you're ever in Kansas City, it's worth spending a few hours there.

https://theworldwar.org
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Thanks a lot for this post. I really appreciate learning about things off of my continent!
I hope to go to Scotland within the next year or two and will picking your collective brains to see what is 'must see' across the pond.

My great grandfather was a 17 year-old in the trenches of WW I....I didn't know it until he was 96 and talking about it visibly shook him. I'm sure Alzheimer's was making those old memories way too vivid. You could see the stress in his eyes.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Thank you for sharing that, Perry, very impressive.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

My paternal grandfather was a "long boy" (mortar man) during the Great War. He made it through (fortunately, since my father was born long afterwards!). Thanks for posting this Perry!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Simply stuning, Perry - Thank you.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Thank you Perry for posting this. If we don't remember the wars and those who gave their lives, then we might make the same mistakes that led to the past wars. I am not against war, but there have been a lot of them that were not necessary in my opinion. Just my opinion.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

piller wrote:"If we don't remember the wars and those who gave their lives, then we might make the same mistakes that led to the past wars.".
I sure don't want to ruin this post with too much commentary, but my thought to that is that we've more likely forgotten how to let our soldiers fight and win a war against a determined enemy(ies).

Griff said it very well: "Visually stunning"

Thanks and Blessings for those who gave it all.

Old No7
Last edited by Old No7 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

A wonderful tribute. When ever I have a layover in Ottawa our Capital I walk down to the Tomb of the unknown soldier to pay my respects. One November I removed the poppy from lapel and left it there alone with dozens of others. They made a stunning visual tribute.

What the British intend to fo this year will be visually stunning and really drive home the size of those loses 100 years ago.