Remington 788 --- Anyone have any experience to share?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Remington 788 --- Anyone have any experience to share?

Post by wm »

Looking for some insight into the overall quality and shooting ability of the 788.

Found one at local pawn shop and examined it closely.....definitely not a plain jane 700 (what I always thought it was). I did some research and it sure was offered in a variety of calibers (44 mag to 308).

The one I am looking at is a 30 WCF. I have often thought I would like to find an inexpensive Savage 340 in 30 WCF to rebarrel to 7-30 Waters. Maybe I found a project rifle for this winter.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Remington 788 --- Anyone have any experience to share?

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I'd snap up that 30-30 in a heartbeat...788s have a great reputation for being tack drivers... Silhouette shooters drove the prices way up on the ones produced in .308... I've got one in Duce that I love...Too bad I just chucked an article by Frank DeHass for tricking them out that had been collecting dust with a bunch of other old American Rifleman magazines from the 50&60s... But mine shoots well enough that I never bothered...Good luck
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

The Remington 788 is a fine accurate rifle. I previously owned one in .308 and it was very very accurate. Supposedly they all have Douglas barrels. I have a Stevens model 325(predecessor to the Savage 340) and really like having a 30-30 bolt gun as I can load spritzer bullets in it.
If the price of the 788 you have found is $400 or less you would be well advised to buy it.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Great actions, custom rifle builders were buying them up for target projects. Not really the best looking rifle made back then but I'd think if Remington would build it now it would sell great, especially since there are so danged many homely rifles out there now. I'd grab it if I could.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I've had two, both in .308 and wish I'd never let them go.

Not sure I'd rebarrel/rechamber one if it was on .30-30. Might be more valuable in that original state.

Mags are hard to find and expensive.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

I have always thought it would be the only rifle that could truly take advantage of an A. I. chamber reaming.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Like the other guys have said, excellent gun. It was discontinued because it put a hurtin on the sales of the 700. It's a rear locking bolt gun.....unusual.

I've shot them in 308, 44 mag. and .222?. Can't remember, it was many years ago but I thought it was a 22 center fire. I owned one in 44 mag and that caliber and the 30-30 are rare. The big problem with those is that if the extractor breaks, there are none to be had. Mine in the 44 broke so I sold it at a loss but that was the days before the internet so maybe someone started making them again.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

A lot and I truly mean a large number of 788's have been barreled and made into bench guns . They are a bit heavy but for a tree stand or grounding gun they are usually top notch . Suggested retail on these things about the time they quit making them was about $120 if memory serves .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

They made them in 222, 223 , 22-250 , 243 ,6mm ,30-30 , 308 and 44 MAG . ALSO MADE a LH version in 6mm and 308 .
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I bought my 788 new in 1977 for less than $200. Chambering is 22-250. Barrel length is 24 inches.

This rifle is very accurate and shoots a variety of bullet weights quite well. I'm not clear why it went out of production.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I'd buy one in 30WCF in a heartbeat!

A friend of mine has 2, one in .308 and one in .223. Both are super accurate. I've never heard anything bad about them except that they don't make them any more.

BUY IT!
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

The only caveat regarding the 788 is that magazines are long out of production.
If I were to take one into the field, I would duct tape the mag in place.

Jack
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

A good friend has one in 22-250 that he uses when we go prairie dog hunting. He kills his share with it and then some.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Had one in .222, that I punched out to .223.
It shot 9 deer that I am aware of, shot everything great.
Shot tons of military ammo out of it, so I do not understand " don't shoot 5.56 in .223 guns thing; but it is a VERY strong action.
9 locking lugs if my memory is correct.
Back in the 70's they were very much sought after by silhouette shooters.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

He who hesitates is lost.....and I hesitated and someone snatched up the 788.

The search for a winter project rifle goes on.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Moral of the Story: If you find something that really appeals to you, Do Not bring it before the "Committee" for approval.. Buy it.. Wring it out.. If it doesn't work for you, you can sell it off again..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Buck Elliott wrote:Moral of the Story: If you find something that really appeals to you, Do Not bring it before the "Committee" for approval.. Buy it.. Wring it out.. If it doesn't work for you, you can sell it off again..
Also...don't wait to check your bank account to see if you have enough money. Who cares? Life is short. You can eat crackers for a while if you have to..... :D
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Bolt handles where brazed on so dont use undue force to open a sticky bolt from an improper load. I have had three, the first I bought new in 223 and kick myself for selling. The next was 6mm with no clip it's gone also. Still have a 22-250 with walnut stock.
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

I have one in .223 for a bunch of years. Always shot better than I could hold.
Have not shot in in several years though, not since I became more interested in lever rifles.

hayabusa
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Of course you're right Buck but I was not familiar with the 788 action and wanted to do a little research first. Now I know.

Oh well it is the search that makes life interesting.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Back around 1970 I bought a used one in 22-250. My buddy and I took it to the range and the local gunsmith and his buddy, a top rifle competitor was there too. One made a snide remark, well ya better throw that Tasco scope away first! It outshot the "experts" that day. It was a super accurate rifle! Talking about it, I cant remember getting rid of it but I dont have it anymore.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I've still got the Tasco that came on my 788 combo ($124.95)
Michaux
Levergunner

Post by Michaux »

I had one in 222 Rem. Great rifles! As accurate as anything out there and likely one of the most accurate 30-30's ever made. Folks who shoot cast bullets love 788's in 30-30 Win. Only thing (for me) about the 788 is that it's a bit heavy and "chunky" for my style of deer hunting. The carbines are sweet! As has been said previously..buy it!

Michaux
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I had a 788 in 30/30. Great shooting and accurate with cast bullets too.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

3leggedturtle wrote:I had a 788 in 30/30. Great shooting and accurate with cast bullets too.
There were or still are a bunch of fellows campaigning 788's n 30-30 in the Cast Bullet Association benchrest matches . The late Frank Marshall considered a Remington 788 in 30-30 as his pretty fair weather deer rifle (that shot better then 1 MOA with cast).
Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Lassiter »

Back in the 90s I bought one in .308 I stuck a cheap Tasco riflescope on it for my 14 year old son to use. That gun was scary accurate with 165 gr. handloads. Wish I still had it.
Gary
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gary »

The aspects of the 788 have already been well covered. I can add that I've owned two, both in 308 Win. Sold one during a financial crunch and purchased the second around 2009 for $300. Mine is a real joy to shoot and I have several sub MOA hand loads for it. Mine has a 22" bbl and I think they were also available in an 18" bbl version. The only downer for me is the protruding magazine at the rifle's balance point.

KK Magazines in San Diego makes after market magazines for the 788. Gun shows usually have new, original, Rem mags ranging from $80 to $125.

You should buy that 788 in 30-30.

Mine...

BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

I had one in 30-30 Ackley Improved. It shot very well. I sold it because I do not like magazines that protrude below the stock. Wish I had kept it as now I developed an interest in the smaller capacity cases and it would be perfect for experimenting with wildcats based on the .375 Winchester case.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

6pt-sika wrote:They made them in 222, 223 , 22-250 , 243 ,6mm ,30-30 , 308 and 44 MAG . ALSO MADE a LH version in 6mm and 308 .
You left out the 7mm-08. I've owned and shot them all. Never owned one that wasn't accurate. OP if you buy the .30-30 leave it alone, the .30-30 and .44 mag are the rare ones. The left hand 6mm is pretty hard to find too.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.